Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Ulysses View Post
    Sorry, can someone tell me what "TPTB" stands for?
    "The Powers That Be", often used to refer to upper-management or others in charge of things.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    Completely fair.

So does this mean you are more in favor of a looser continuity/timeline where writers are allowed to ignore these stories as they see fit?
    I'm in favor of hard reboots.

Everybody is rebooted...but not to year one (more on this later).

I would have a multi-universe with filled with JLA earths and JSA earths (that's what we want to read about).

Some variation of those previous stories exist on some world...but I don't want to have to see it if I don't want to. (What's in Black Label stays in Black Label.)

I'm also in favor is simplified storytelling...like a new Batman cartoon (if they ever make one); I want Batman versus the villain(ess) of the episode. I don't need anyone's origin story or the 1st meeting between the bat and his classic villain. Again, we don't need year one...between year 3 to year 4 will be fine.

By "fixing", do they really mean "neutering"?

Fantastic Member mikelmcknight72's Avatar

I read "fixing their timeline", but I picture editorial saying "Hold mah beer an' watch this!". Just saying.

Incredible Member

Combine this with Didios talk of big events for Wally next year leads be to think we're getting Flashpoint Redux and trying to New New 52.

Astonishing Member

I'd trust fan made timelines over anything that comes out of DC. Editorial is just too contaminated by executive meddling and internal editorial rivalries.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne View Post
    I'd trust fan made timelines over anything that comes out of DC. Editorial is just too contaminated by executive meddling and internal editorial rivalries.
    Problem is, fan-made timelines have nothing to do with the "reality" in the stories. They're like individual head-canon: they may work for somebody, but it doesn't mean writers / stories will have any connection to them.

We need something that writers/editors can follow AND that's available to us the reader so that EVERYBODY will be on the same page for at least a little while.

Spectacular Member

To make the timeline they have to start with the beginning of the New 52 and show who made their appearance first.

Example: Batman #1 shows that Bruce is on his fourth Robin. Action Comics #1 shows Superman making his first appearance. Justice League #1 brings together the heroes for the first time.

Action shows Superman's start. Superman #1 takes place in present day.

Batman #1 and Superman #1 take place at the same time.

They said that the present day is five years after the start. For this let's use Action #1 as the start.

We know that Bruce could not have gone though four Robins in five years. That is too much even for Bruce. So let's apply the established timeline from previous continuity for Bruce and the four Robins.

So we currently have Batman, Superman, and the Justice League.

Timeline version one:
    Bruce becomes Batman. Operates in secret in Gotham City and the outside world knows nothing about him.

Clark Kent arrives in Metropolis and reveals himself as Superman.

Several months later Superman gets his Kryptonian armor that replaces his boots/jeans/t-shirt.

Some time passes and Batman meets Green Lantern and Superman. With Wonder Woman, Flash, Aquaman, and Cyborg they form the Justice League.

Five years later: Batman #1, Superman #1

This is just a starting point. As each title/single issue is applied, there is a better picture/idea of New 52 continuity.

Timelines are complied from already released material, not beforehand.

lmao that's absolutely not possible but ok. It'll be fun to watch them try.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Everything happened.

Extraordinary Member

I don't think they really would need super detailed time line but there are some corner stones they need to fix like:
    - origin stories
    - which important event happened and which didn't and which characters were involved (and which are the consequences if a characters get retconned in or out of a story)
    - ages (at least for the younger characters)
    - who worked together with whom and on which team
    - who knows the secret identity of whom

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    I don't think they really would need super detailed time line but there are some corner stones they need to fix like:
    - origin stories
    - which important event happened and which didn't and which characters were involved (and which are the consequences if a characters get retconned in or out of a story)
    - ages (at least for the younger characters)
    - who worked together with whom and on which team
    - who knows the secret identity of whom
    Whether ____ had ____ identity at all in their career (I'm looking at you, Batgirls).

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Problem is, fan-made timelines have nothing to do with the "reality" in the stories. They're like individual head-canon: they may work for somebody, but it doesn't mean writers / stories will have any connection to them.
    And official ones aren't? Because the Jurgens one that got attached to end of the 52 or Wolfman's History of the DC Universe has plenty of the author's personal head canon in it. Fan made ones like the ones made by Cosmicteams at least try to be impartial, attempt to use and synthesize from as many books as possible and don't try to inject their personal fanfics into things. They are simply far more capable of impartiality than a bunch of writers/editors who care more about pushing their ideas or characters (not to mention most of the fan ones also cite their sources).
    Last edited by Bruce Wayne; 07-20-2019 at 10:30 AM.

BANNED

What truly needs to happen is editorial needs to be rebooted and Dan DiDio needs to go away already. While he is in charge it's just going to be more of the same. If DC wants to possibly pique people's interest they should get new editorial management. We've already seen a DiDio reboot and have seen what he's capable of for the last 15 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne View Post
    And official ones aren't? Because the Jurgens one that got attached to end of the 52 or Wolfman's History of the DC Universe has plenty of the author's personal head canon in it. Fan made ones like the ones made by Cosmicteams at least try to be impartial, attempt to use and synthesize from as many books as possible and don't try to inject their personal fanfics into things. They are simply far more capable of impartiality than a bunch of writers/editors who care more about pushing their ideas or characters (not to mention most of the fan ones also cite their sources).
    Which ones are more likely to be mentioned again in any future stories?

That's the type of timeline / canon history I'm more interested in. Even if it gets changed down the road by another writer, at least there's a better chance that we may get some sort of an explanation of how/why things have changed.