Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 391011121314 LastLast
    Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Shamrock Holmes View Post
    Given that he's distinguished himself enough as a lawyer to be appointed as an ambassdor in the late seventies, then it's clear that considerable time passed, even if they didn't physically age him much (though to be fair, physically fit people often don't age all that much between late 20s and their 40s or 50s), and 47-52 doesn't seem unreasonable for an ambassdor (though I'd be fine with 43-47 based on him being 8 not 12 at debut as the LDotJSA Special suggests)
    E2 Robin's age kind of became problematic near the end of the Pre-Crisis era. Not because he was too old to be running about in tights, but because in The Huntress' Wonder Woman backup feature, they had hots beginning to form between Grayson and Helena Wayne, who was not only his adoptive sister, but nearly 30 years his junior. Of course, we didn't think those things thru back in the day...

Extraordinary Member

Earth 2 ages were anyway little bit wired in the end.
    Just look at the ages of the Inifinty Inc Charaters, most of them were around 20 but had parents that were close to 70.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by HandofPrometheus View Post
    "The failing of the New 52 was that we didn't take the time to figure this stuff out."- Dan Didio
    No, the problem with the New 52 was that it was completely unnecessary and offensive. Them not taking the time to plan things out just added insult to injury. Honestly, I can't say I have too much faith in any timeline that the current regime comes up with.
    Last edited by Zeeguy91; 08-01-2019 at 11:29 PM.

Spectacular Member

I've often thought that the problem with New 52 wasn't so much the stories that they wanted to tell, but the fact that they insisted on telling them with the OG Justice League (with Cyborg rather than MM, which was weird in the context it was used). Their Superman/Wonder Woman plot (and a good deal of their Superman and El family plots) would have worked better narratively with Connor and Cassie in the roles than it did with Clark and Diana, the plot about about government distrust of the JL would have worked a lot better if it built on the idea from Flashpoint that (possibly due to the death of many of the OG in Darkseid's attack) that Cyborg wasthe current leader of a team of younger heroes as the League (Conner, Tim, Kyle, Miss M, Kaldur etc) but that would have been to "risky" for the corporate bottom line to fly in the main timeline so we got the odd badly-planned mish-mash that we did, undermining what could have been relatively decent storylines.

Mighty Member

Looking at this thread are the Titans the reason theres a lot of time based issues ? Like the above mentioned Nightwing shenanigans and the other sidekicks etc

That does seem to be where the biggest issues lie. As far as I can tell, the Teen Titans have been a continuity nightmare since the New 52 began and it's never really gotten better.

It really is a shame how bad things have gotten for them, when you take a look at where they were and how far they had come by 2011.
    Last edited by Blue22; 08-02-2019 at 04:58 AM.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    Looking at this thread are the Titans the reason theres a lot of time based issues ? Like the above mentioned Nightwing shenanigans and the other sidekicks etc
    ...and this is why growing up the sidekicks past college was always a bad idea.

I think that's a bit extreme. I'm okay with the characters staying in their early 20s but I also welcome the idea of them continuing to age and grow. If you're gonna go that route all it takes is just a little organization and communication between writers so that these hiccups don't happen (or at least not as frequently). Having a timeline mapped out for these characters and sticking to it shouldn't be hard if people cared enough to implement one.

Will they finally bite the bullet and acknowledge Cyborg being a Titan?

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I thought they already did that? On page, in an issue? Maybe image, not dialog? I didn't read it myself, but think I heard that.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Did back in Dark Knights Metal I thought. Raven and Vic knew each other.

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    The Titans are a big part of the timeline messiness, but not the only reason for it.

The biggest issue(to me) is stuff from old cannon popping up that contradicts things established by the nu52 cannon. Granted, everything is up in the air after Superman rebirth blew up the timeline and brought back into cannon much of the old Superman history (death, wedding).

Things I would like to see cleared up:
    1. Who were the JLA founders? And was Cyborg one of them?
    (Honestly a lot could be cleared up by establishing the nu52 7 members as a later re-formation of the team, versus the original lineup...which would make Cyborg younger as well).

2. Did the satellite era exist in the JLA history? Nu52 says no, but Ray Palmer, Red Tornado, Martian Manhunter, Silver-Age Hawks have all been indicated as past members either implicitly or explicitly in Rebirth flashbacks.

3. Was Cyborg ever a Titan, and did the New TT era ever exist in any form? According to Nu52 cannon and post-Rebirth telling of the Deathstroke/Ravager history no.
    But according to some mini flashback panels, Cyborg has been shown in battle alongside the TT (but also doesn't mean he was a member...very confusing).

4. When did Young Justice history occur and in what version? What was Bart, Conner and Cassie's history in the DCU (i.e. what's in/what's out).
    All we know is nobody remembers their history prior to them meeting back up. Was their history forgotten by a world mindwipe, the same way the OG Teen Titans history was forgotten (but later remembered).

5. Once the JSA history is inevitably restored, what's in and what's out?

6. How did Donna Troy's origin occur (as seen in nu52 and reinforced post Rebirth in Titans) if Diana had never been able to return to the island?
    She continues to have an impossible origin that was almost immediately eradicated as soon as it was told.

I'm okay with broad strokes on all of this, but DC continuity currently feels like a Wild West shooutout...I'd like to see some consistency DC!
    K thanks bye!
    Last edited by astro@work; 08-02-2019 at 11:25 AM.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    Earth 2 ages were anyway little bit wired in the end.
    Just look at the ages of the Inifinty Inc Charaters, most of them were around 20 but had parents that were close to 70.
    If I remember correctly, exposure to energies from Ian Karkull kept the JSA members and their significant others relatively young. So I always assumed they simply had children later in life.

Quote Originally Posted by astro@work View Post
    The Titans are a big part of the timeline messiness, but not the only reason for it.

The biggest issue(to me) is stuff from old cannon popping up that contradicts things established by the nu52 cannon. Granted, everything is up in the air after Superman rebirth blew up the timeline and brought back into cannon much of the old Superman history (death, wedding).

Things I would like to see cleared up:
    1. Who were the JLA founders? And was Cyborg one of them?
    (Honestly a lot could be cleared up by establishing the nu52 7 members as a later re-formation of the team, versus the original lineup...which would make Cyborg younger as well).

2. Did the satellite era exist in the JLA history? Nu52 says no, but Ray Palmer, Red Tornado, Martian Manhunter, Silver-Age Hawks have all been indicated as past members either implicitly or explicitly in Rebirth flashbacks.

3. Was Cyborg ever a Titan, and did the New TT era ever exist in any form? According to Nu52 cannon and post-Rebirth telling of the Deathstroke/Ravager history no.
    But according to some mini flashback panels, Cyborg has been shown in battle alongside the TT (but also doesn't mean he was a member...very confusing).

4. When did Young Justice history occur and in what version? What was Bart, Conner and Cassie's history in the DCU (i.e. what's in/what's out).
    All we know is nobody remembers their history prior to them meeting back up. Was their history forgotten by a world mindwipe, the same way the OG Teen Titans history was forgotten (but later remembered).

5. Once the JSA history is inevitably restored, what's in and what's out?

6. How did Donna Troy's origin occur (as seen in nu52 and reinforced post Rebirth in Titans) if Diana had never been able to return to the island?
    She continues to have an impossible origin that was almost immediately eradicated as soon as it was told.

I'm okay with broad strokes on all of this, but DC continuity currently feels like a Wild West shooutout...I'd like to see some consistency DC!
    K thanks bye!
    Then there's Jon Kent and the impact he has on the Superman timeline.

If Superman continuity is mostly restored to pre-Flashpoint, and if Jon was born 10 years ago in-universe, then it means the Death/Return of Superman and the wedding occurred around 11 years ago. So does this mean everything that happened in the pre-Flashpoint DCU before the Death of Superman now occurred over 11 years ago? Does this mean that, 11 years ago, Tim Drake was already Robin and Hal had already become Parallax?

Or do we assume that the Superman timeline and the timeline of other characters/franchises are out of sync? So, when Doomsday killed Superman, Dick Grayson was still Robin, and Hal Jordan was still Green Lantern.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Did back in Dark Knights Metal I thought. Raven and Vic knew each other.
    They just talked and Cyborg supported her. It wasn't really clear whether they were close from that in my opinion.

If you want a clearer version of that, look at Vic and Kori's interaction in Odyssey where they act a lot like old friends who've known each other for years even though it's probably the first time Cyborg and Starfire have exchanged words with each other in years.

Extraordinary Member

Btw. I don't have much of a problem with characters not ageing or characters aging slower than the time progresses in universe, but what really annoys me is when characters age a different rates.

Stuff like Damian going from beeing suddenly 3 years younger than Tim instead of 6-7 years younger, James Gorden Jr., who should be roughly 12-13 younger than Barbara), suddenly being almost her age.