Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.B View Post
    Realtime as in ages. They age like us with few exceptions. Superman is 60.

It all makes sense.
    No, 1938 being 60 years ago absolutely does not make sense.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    No, 1938 being 60 years ago absolutely does not make sense.
    It's 1997 in universe. Read below. Last few pages.

https://community.cbr.com/showthread...50#post4775650

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Last Son of Krypton recently posted that Wonder Woman will have been active in WW I.
    Oh cool. Yeah, this still works out. They seem to have moved back her debut even further so that she has a good long while to be the first hero. They can be pretty flexible with her because she's immortal.

This also makes sense since the tech and culture of DC's Earth take a giant leap around the late 1970s to mid 80s. So they likely want to have her in that old time-y aesthetic and mentality for a while before the big leap happens.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Realtime as in ages. They age like us with few exceptions. Superman is 60.

It all makes sense.
    Some relative ages are very different that comics. Some add up to make sense, absolutely (Batman debuting at 19 is a bit different, but not not impossible, nor is Canary II debuting at 17). But "everything happened" doesn't really make sense with the ages they gave up (Tim being 23 when Damian is 8 would really changes the dynamics).

It's 1997 in universe. Read below. Last few pages.
    But that's just speculation, right? I mean, DC making all of comics a period piece? Not impossible, but an odd decision. Thanks for the tip off, as I only occasionally check that thread, being less than interested in 5G. A bad creative decision, IMO, but not as destructive as actually making 1938 60 years ago.
    Last edited by Tzigone; 01-10-2020 at 02:37 PM.

BANNED

Some relative ages are very different that comics. Some add up to make sense, absolutely (Batman debuting at 19 is a bit different, but not not impossible, nor is Canary II debuting at 17). But "everything happened" doesn't really make sense with the ages they gave up (Tim being 23 when Damian is 8 would really changes the dynamics).

But that's just speculation, right? I mean, DC making all of comics a period piece? Not impossible, but an odd decision.
    It's generational and experimental. Storybeats and Characters still exist.

It's generational and experimental. Storybeats and Characters still exist.
    I guess you are just more accepting to me. Messing with ages is a huge no-no to me for certain events. Not all of them, but certain ones. To me, Tim needed to still be an (orphaned) minor for that storyline. Dick needs to be an adult when he becomes Nightwing. Barbara Gordon needs to be an adult when becoming Batgirl. The entire emotional resonance is different if you change those things. Not that DC cares, as changes to a couple of those I've mentioned have already happened (and I hated them).

Some relative ages are very different that comics. Some add up to make sense, absolutely (Batman debuting at 19 is a bit different, but not not impossible, nor is Canary II debuting at 17).
    I counted Bruce being 21 when he starts as Batman because he's 5 years younger than Clark, and Clark starts at 26. Same with Canary II. I counted her at 18 when she joins the JLA. Technically you'd wait till the next year to count their age after they're born, but it actually works out a little better if you don't because that makes Damian 13 when he joins the Teen Titans, and I think that tracks because Jon's age is also correct (not account for time travel) if he's born in 86. That'd make him 12, and last we heard during the whole Rogol Zarr thing he was 11, so that tracks well.

But that's just speculation, right? I mean, DC making all of comics a period piece?
    It's more like an open secret now. In the DCU there equivalent to twitter was made in 1984, and we've been consistently seeing this hint in Bendis' Action Comics with those Daily Planet twitter pages.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

I counted Bruce being 21 when he starts as Batman because he's 5 years younger than Clark, and Clark starts at 26.
    Guess I got off a year. Sorry. I did wait until next year instead of counting him as 1 in his birth year (same with everyone else).

It's more like an open secret now. In the DCU there equivalent to twitter was made in 1984, and we've been consistently seeing this hint in Bendis' Action Comics with those Daily Planet twitter pages.
    Ah, very much disliked Bendis' Superman. Quit reading a while ago. So not following any thread about that very much. Less dreadful than moving real-world events by far. Less doomed-to-quick reboot than that would be. Still an odd choice. I really do hope they stick to period appropriate technology in day-to-day life. No smartphones, mostly no cellphones, etc. Tech is the easy part - it really even makes stories easier to tell. Keeping to the social/political norms and perceptions of the time will be much trickier. Don't care about period-appropriate fashion, which is good, but I see no luck in that being kept long-term.
    Last edited by Tzigone; 01-10-2020 at 02:54 PM.

Guess I got off a year. Sorry. I did wait until next year instead of counting him as 1 in his birth year (same with everyone else).
    No need to apologize. It's still subject to change, but so far if you start counting at the year they are born then a lot of ages line up with recent stories. And I think that's important because 5G and this timeline has been in development for a while, and they likely wouldn't give out ages that correspond with easily traceable events during this planning stage if they we're sure. Damian being 13 when he first joins the Teen Titans, and Jon being 11 (chronologically) during the Unity Saga both line up with the timeline if you count it like that. And especially in the case of Bendis, who is actively seeding clues, I think it was deliberate.

Quit reading a while ago. So not following any thread about that very much.
    Well, there's stuff there, and in basically all of his books. The last two issue of Legion of Super-Heroes actually just outright confirms the timeline and implies at least a 3 year timeskip forward for 5G.

In issue 1 of Legion the United Planets President is told that the "son of the 20th century Superman" is in the future. That makes sense because Clark has been active from 1972 to 1997. Then in issue 2 of Legion Jon is called the "Superman of the 21st century". That makes sense give the fact that there's only 3 years till the DCU's year 2000 and likely 5G.

BANNED

Ah, very much disliked Bendis' Superman. Quit reading a while ago. So not following any thread about that very much. Less dreadful than moving real-world events by far. Less doomed-to-quick reboot than that would be. Still an odd choice. I really do hope they stick to period appropriate technology in day-to-day life. No smartphones, mostly no cellphones, etc. Tech is the easy part - it really even makes stories easier to tell. Keeping to the social/political norms and perceptions of the time will be much trickier. Don't care about period-appropriate fashion, which is good, but I see no luck in that being kept long-term.
    Tech will be more advanced like it was in 1980's of the Watchmen.

Well, there's stuff there, and in basically all of his books. The last two issue of Legion of Super-Heroes actually just outright confirms the timeline and implies at least a 3 year timeskip forward for 5G.
    There's my problem - since I disliked his Superman so much, I actively avoided everything else he wrote, too. Been following the new timeline info on this thread and couple others devoted to it.

Tech will be more advanced like it was in 1980's of the Watchmen.
    Don't really see the point of 90s-in-name-only. I mean, the heroes having advanced tech is one thing, but everyone in the world - meh.

BANNED

There's my problem - since I disliked his Superman so much, I actively avoided everything else he wrote, too. Been following the new timeline info on this thread and couple others devoted to it.

Don't really see the point of 90s-in-name-only. I mean, the heroes having advanced tech is one thing, but everyone in the world - meh.
    It's 90's to keep Superman around 60 instead of 80 years old. Only advanced in the sense ipads came earlier and the world wide web in the mid 80s.
    Last edited by Mr.B; 01-10-2020 at 03:16 PM.

As, far as I can tell, is consequence and as close to logical progression as possible.

So unlike the DCU we currently know, when super genius people like Lex Luthor, Ted Cord, Bruce Wayne, Michael Holt, and Ray Palmer are active within just years of one another something actually changes about the world. When people learn that aliens are real and immortal amazons watch over them, the course of human history is actually changed for once.

It's basically saying that the DCU isn't the world outside our windows like Marvel's supposed to be. And I find that fascinating the more I wrap my head around it. Now I wonder what the year 2000 will look like for them.

BANNED

Makes me wonder about politics, social issues, clothes.

Whit people like Luthor, Kord, Wayne, etc. and cryptonian tech to top that, it's not far fetched.

I still doubt it's going to be a 1:1 year in History, but, it's a point to keep in mind.
    Last edited by Zaresh; 01-10-2020 at 08:18 PM.