Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default When did you become a Superman fan?

When did you become a Superman fan? When did you realize you truly enjoyed his stories?

I think I've always liked him. It seems he has always been part of my life since I can remember. George Reeves TV show reruns, Superfriends (never missed an episode), but I think it was until Superman the Movie when I fell completely in love and have been a big fan since then.

sorry if we've had other threads like this but I wanted to know how you guys felt.

Since I was a small child so pretty much for as long as I can remember. I often enjoyed pretending I could fly in my Superman pajamas, good memories.

Edit - As for actual material the original movies.
    Last edited by Celgress; 07-20-2019 at 04:14 PM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

I think Superman III and IV were my first exposure to him and I remember being really freaked out by the robot lady in III, but loved IV as a kid.

For comics, it was Death, Reign, and Return. But kinda after the fact. I was given Superman 75 and all the Reign issues by a relative, but didn't really read them at the time. Adventures of Superman 505 was the first Superman comic I bought on my own, and from there I went back and got the whole storyline and then it was off the the races for the post-Crisis Bryne and then the triangle era.

Been hooked since more or less. Stopped reading the comics around Grounded, picked it up for the first 12 or so issues of New 52, but dropped them again until the Lois & Clark series.
    Last edited by Yoda; 07-20-2019 at 11:07 AM.

I can't remember a time when I wasn't. My earliest memories include me knowing of Superman I and II and I was a fan through and through. I have some fainter memories of Superfriends but I was mostly all about the movies. I didn't get into the comics until 1992-93, and that took it to new levels, but I've always been a fan.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 07-20-2019 at 11:09 AM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Incredible Member

It was difinitely the Christopher Reeve films and the Super Friends cartoon, then for a brief period I thought he was getting dull as my friends and I were getting into other things like G.I.Joe and Transformers that it wasn't until my interest piqued again with the Death Of Superman hype and I went on a hunt for back issues starting with John Byrne's 1986 reboot that I regained my faith in Big Blue again.

When I saw a volume of Grant Morrison’s JLA at the local library with Electric Blue Superman on the cover. I thought that was the coolest thing ever and checked it out. The cartoons definitely helped there as well but it was that volume I saw as a kid that got me started.
    Last edited by Vordan; 07-20-2019 at 12:26 PM.

Its cool to hear stories about how more obscure ideas turned some onto Superman. The Reeve movies, Death of Superman, stuff like that is commonplace reasons given. You're probably the first I've heard who was drawn in via Electric Supes. I don't mean that as a bad thing by any stretch, I think its awesome.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Fantastic Member qwertyuiop1998's Avatar

When a few years ago, I starting read DC comics and choose to start with superman related comics.
    "Dangerous Zombie! Transform!! Click And Load! Buggle UP! Danger! Danger! Death The Crisis! Dangerous Zombie!" Kamen Rider Gemn
    (In first he's mysterious and evil and now he's psycho and crazy and insane and evil AND "The Meme Lord"LOL.)

Retired

I got into DC super-heroes in 1966, because of Batman. But once I realized that Batman and Superman were best friends, I started to read just as many Superman comics as Batman comics. However, when you're a kid, people always make it their business to tell you the things you should like and you shouldn't like. So I was convinced that reading comic books and especially super-hero comics was not a good thing to do with my time and money. So for a couple years I rarely ever bought a super-hero comic book and I saved my allowance to buy things like a microscope and a chemistry set--expecting I would become a scientist in the future. But then one day on a class trip, I bought a couple of Superman comic books and I realized that this is who I was, a Superman fan. It's too bad that I let anyone teach me different.

Amazing Member

2005. Superman 220.
    Was never into comics. Was a huge dragonball fan.
    I was 18 at the time. Stationed in Japan. I was figuring out this whole “adult” thing and having a real tough time adjusting. One day after I got a pack of Newport’s I noticed a comic rack. I knew who Superman was but who was the kid in the black shirt. Read the issue and connected with Superboy because he was going through it as well at the time. The pressures of becoming who you are eventually going to be I call it.

You can’t change established characters ( Superman , Ironman , etc. ) all that much but the journey of their progenies( Superboy, Tim Drake, Kaine Parker, war machine) has always been appealing to me.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Always thought he was cool. My earliest memory of Superman would be WPIX running the movies and having the four blend together in my head. That was around 1992. I know that I already liked Ninja Turtles and Batman from their films and film sequels at the time. Robot Vera was one of the few things that scared me.

I bought comics at convenient stores and supermarkets throughout that decade. Superman sometimes, but I more often read Superboy and Steel because their issues came in more consistently. So Superman, the real deal, became more intriguing over time. I couldn't really get into Superman Blue or Red and didn't have the money to buy consecutive issues until Chuck Austen started on Action during my high school years. My first was the Silver Banshee issue. But it was with Geoff Johns doing the Legion that I resolved to stop missing issues and also get into pre crisis back issues. By the New 52 I had started jumping into stories throughout his whole history.

Aside from comics I'm pretty casual. I had the Kenner action figures as a kid and I have some cups, shirts and random memorabilia now.
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

BANNED

When I was a small kid I loved the first Christopher Reeve movie, but it was really Byrne who made me a fan.

The Challenge of the Superfriends!

No memories of not being a Superman fan but it started with this man

When I watched Superman Animated Series for the first time. He immediately became my favorite Superhero. I thought the quality of the show was much more consistent than Batman:TAS