Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    tommyd

Question supermans suites

my Q. is if superman's suit was made from the kryptonian fabric his mother wraped him in as a baby and turned in to his suite by Martha Kent if the suite gets wrecked how does he replace it ?

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Welcome to the CBR Superman , hope you stick around.

His origin gets retold constantly and usually you can expect to see the details change. For the origins where his suit is made that way, in theory you can imagine some fabric left over. But in practice, the suit was indestructible so it was never an issue. Probably most of the few times you might see it damaged would be in stories where the damage was conveniently undone by the end.
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

The Fortress should be able to provide more suits, but Supes’ suits are usually as indestructible as he is, so it’s not usually an issue. In the New 52 the suit was made of nanotech which could repair itself, that’s my personal headcanon for how the torn suits get repaired.

Retired

In pre-Crisis continuity, the fabric which becomes super under a yellow sun (and can be damaged under a red sun) is elastic--so it can be stretched into long strands (never mind the real life physics that a stretched strand also becomes much thinner). Superman would and did unravel the weave of these strands to create other temporary costumes and materials. So if the suit was damaged (let's say under a red sun), then he would just unravel the material (under a yellow sun) and weave it back together. And as Superman could do this at super-speed, you wouldn't even see him doing it.

So in the original version from the '30s and '40s, Superman's outfit wasn't alien, but a material he invented himself. Sometime between then and the '50s, the trend of Superman's blanket coming from Krypton and being sown into a costume got started. Both of these suits were basically never ever damaged in a permanent way as far as I know.

In the mid '80s, there was a reboot, or a new version of Superman that started, separate from the previous ones. The rebooted Superman had a costume made by Martha, but out of ordinary Earth cloth. This costume was damaged fairly regularly whenever Superman got in a big fight, and presumably, all you have to do to replace the material is stop at Hobby Lobby.

So I hope that helps.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Retired

In the Byrne reboot, Superman had an aura that protected his suit, which is how they explained it not getting damaged. But his cape wasn't protected by that aura, which allowed John Byrne to get his jollies drawing the tattered cape. Comic artists have to have their fun.