Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    All-New Member

KC Superman sucks.

Incredible Member

I'm thrilled that Routh gets one more shot at Superman. I've got a strong connection to SR and Routh, so this is really thrilling. I'm disappointed about the KC news (as cool as it will be to see that suit in live-action), but hopefully it's less that Routh's Superman is a completely new one, and more that the SR Superman evolved into this 13/14 years later.

Retired

From the way Routh talked about this in interviews, he'll be playing the same Superman that he played in the movie. Maybe for the Arrowverse, they'll explain the continuity in some way that relates to the comics. But for the actor, this will be his Superman--a chance to say good-bye to what he started all those years ago.

Even when the CW borrows from the comics, it's never the same thing as the comics. And it shouldn't have to be.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by titansupes View Post
    I'm thrilled that Routh gets one more shot at Superman. I've got a strong connection to SR and Routh, so this is really thrilling. I'm disappointed about the KC news (as cool as it will be to see that suit in live-action), but hopefully it's less that Routh's Superman is a completely new one, and more that the SR Superman evolved into this 13/14 years later.

From what I’ve heard the issue is that WB wouldn’t let him wear the classic suit and the only way he was allowed to appear was by wearing a different suit.

He seems to clarify on twitter that this is true because he responded explicitly to an article saying that he “revealed he was playing the KC Superman” by saying the “only reveal was the suit.”

So he likely is playing an older version of Clark, wearing a suit that resembles KC because WB won’t let him wear the classic suit (which is obviously stupid) and his story will be some kind of fond farewell.

There has been a long suspicion that Superman will die in the crisis in Kara’s place. My suspicion is that Routh’s Superman will be the one to sacrifice himself specifically to not only save Kara but to ensure that the Hoechlin Superman can stay with Lois and their child and not have to leave them. And if that’s how it plays out, I expect a lot of tears.

Quote Originally Posted by Nelliebly View Post
    There has been a long suspicion that Superman will die in the crisis in Kara’s place. My suspicion is that Routh’s Superman will be the one to sacrifice himself specifically to not only save Kara but to ensure that the Hoechlin Superman can stay with Lois and their child and not have to leave them. And if that’s how it plays out, I expect a lot of tears.
    This makes a lot of sense and would actually fit really well within the Superman Returns continuity. Routh's Superman sees Hoechlin's with the opportunity to have a life with Lois and their child that he didn't when he left his Lois Lane in Superman Returns and makes sure he can have that.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    This makes a lot of sense and would actually fit really well within the Superman Returns continuity. Routh's Superman sees Hoechlin's with the opportunity to have a life with Lois and their child that he didn't when he left his Lois Lane in Superman Returns and makes sure he can have that.
    It’s the most fitting ending for him. He made a mistake when he left her. He knows it. It cost them both. If worlds are ending and someone has to die, there is no way he will let it be the Superman who has a chance to raise his son and actually be with the woman they love.

It’s going to be sad but this wouldn’t shock me at all. And it would shut up all the people who (unfairly btw because I never agreed with it) called him a “deadbeat” Dad.

Astonishing Member

I know I'm gonna be bawling my eyes out if that's the case. I don't hate SR like many often professed. That movie still has some of my favourite Superman moments so to say goodbye to him proper will warm my heart. It doesn't sound like they have 90s LnC Supes or Smallville Supes around up just to up the ante. Still, good for Brandon's Supes. Unfortunately because this is the CW, I doubt we will have the same courtesy extended towards DCEU Supes to have a proper goodbye before he too fades away.

Astonishing Member

It’s the most fitting ending for him. He made a mistake when he left her. He knows it. It cost them both. If worlds are ending and someone has to die, there is no way he will let it be the Superman who has a chance to raise his son and actually be with the woman they love.

It’s going to be sad but this wouldn’t shock me at all. And it would shut up all the people who (unfairly btw because I never agreed with it) called him a “deadbeat” Dad.
    Oh how I HATE that because it's not true.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by rpmaluki View Post
    Oh how I HATE that because it's not true.
    It’s not and it drives me crazy. SR was a flawed narrative because it was tragic and put both Superman and Lois in a no win situation. Watching characters we love, especially an iconic couple, be put in a no win situation where someone is bound to get hurt is awful and tragic but that’s the thing....it’s a tragic story. But he wasn’t a deadbeat Dad anymore than she was as deserving of the “b****” accusations lobbied at her. He made a mistake in leaving her and he had to live with the cost. But it was an honest mistake. He didn’t realize he was leaving her pregnant. Had he known, he surely would never have gone. She did her best to move on because it was the best thing she could do for her son. Clearly, they still loved each other but then there was an innocent 3rd party and a child to think of.

It’s a sad story for all involved and as much as I don’t want any Superman to die, I strongly suspect that it one of them does....it’s not going to be the one who has the chance to go live with his wife and baby.

Retired

I expect a lot of characters to die/go out of existence--especially if we end up with an amalgamated universe instead of a multiverse. They have to get rid of a lot for all the shows to be in the same continuity. Not that I'm saying that will happen.

It’s going to be sad but this wouldn’t shock me at all.
    Yeah, it's like CW melodrama turned up to 11. I would put money this is how it plays out. Throw in a sad goodbye to Tulloch's Lois Lane, making up for the one he never had with his Lois. Cue the slow motion flight sequence with flashbacks to some SR's scenes with Lois and the kid (name is blanking on me now).

While I don't think CW would have a Superman show on the same time as Supergirl, Supergirl probably only has 2-3 more seasons left with Arrow likely setting the ceiling at 8 for the other leads. CW has no intention of ending this Arrowverse any time soon, so they will keep seeding expansions of the lineup. A Superfamily show could definitely fit.

And it would shut up all the people who (unfairly btw because I never agreed with it) called him a “deadbeat” Dad.
    And I thought I was optimistic!

Quote Originally Posted by rpmaluki View Post
    I know I'm gonna be bawling my eyes out if that's the case. I don't hate SR like many often professed. That movie still has some of my favourite Superman moments so to say goodbye to him proper will warm my heart. It doesn't sound like they have 90s LnC Supes or Smallville Supes around up just to up the ante. Still, good for Brandon's Supes. Unfortunately because this is the CW, I doubt we will have the same courtesy extended towards DCEU Supes to have a proper goodbye before he too fades away.
    Superman Returns has IMO the best Superman action sequences to date. The plane-saving sequence remains amazing and the Metropolis saving sequence is solid as well. Routh also made a pretty good Superman and Clark. So I'm glad he's coming back.

I don't think they are done with the cameos or announcements. Welling supposedly said at a recent convention appearance that he's appearing on Arrow next season, and Erica Durance already had a sizable role on Supergirl. They just announced Burt Ward will be appearing in COIE in some capacity. So who knows who else is coming.

Retired

I feel like SMALLVILLE was so much its own continuity that there was no reason Clark had to be in a traditional Superman costume. The show was going in its own direction. It's like expecting Flash to wear yellow boots on the TV show--it would be cool if he did, but the show hasn't set up that expectation and it's no shame if that never happens. I'd just as soon see Welling return as exclusively Clark Kent or else some other character on another Earth and not Superman per se.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I feel like SMALLVILLE was so much its own continuity that there was no reason Clark had to be in a traditional Superman costume. The show was going in its own direction. It's like expecting Flash to wear yellow boots on the TV show--it would be cool if he did, but the show hasn't set up that expectation and it's no shame if that never happens. I'd just as soon see Welling return as exclusively Clark Kent or else some other character on another Earth and not Superman per se.
    They established that he dons the suit and becomes Superman though in the final season of Smallville, he puts it on in the end and is shown in the flash forward in the 200th episode to be wearing it. So to the extent that he shows up in COIE as a future version of that character it'd make sense for him to be in some variation of it, if not the version they established in the Season 11 comics which was an "official" continuation. I liked that suit a lot actually, the two tone blue and the belt looked really good in the comics and it kinda fits with the aesthetic of the Arrowverse shows.

Last edited by Yoda; 07-21-2019 at 08:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Now I'm going off-course with him as a grown-up Superboy Prime or Jor-El. An alternate Ray Palmer, just for lulz. Bruce Wayne, Ted Kord...at this point I'm just throwing out names.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

They established that he dons the suit and becomes Superman though in the final season of Smallville, he puts it on in the end and is shown in the flash forward in the 200th episode to be wearing it. So to the extent that he shows up in COIE as a future version of that character it'd make sense for him to be in some variation of it, if not the version they established in the Season 11 comics which was an "official" continuation. I liked that suit a lot actually, the two tone blue and the belt looked really good in the comics and it kinda fits with the aesthetic of the Arrowverse shows.

This is the only trunkless suit I've ever liked. And it's because they break up the blue so well.
    Assassinate Putin!