Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Retired

I kind of doubt that they would get anyone else from the movie to appear--although the guy that played the son is probably available (he's been on YOUNG & THE RESTLESS)--and it's mainly because Routh is right there, so how could they pass up the chance to give him one last hurrah as Superman. But from what Brandon has said, it sounds like for him as an actor he'll be closing out the story of the Superman he played on the big screen.

It just shows how much WB is willing to give the CW for this big event. Looking at how they've vetoed so many stories and characters in the past, for them to let the CW use one of their motion picture properties is a big deal. It's one thing if it's Tyler Hoechlin playing an off-brand Superman, but it's quite another thing when it's Brandon Routh himself playing the Man of Tomorrow.

I expect to cry a lot before this event is over. I'm a pretty sentimental guy, unfortunately.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Welling seems a little more amiable to playing Superman these days then he was ten years ago. Part of that was that he got to the point where he hated the character after playing him for 18 hour days. So maybe he could play something like the Batman Beyond version of Superman or something. A super-suit but not THE super-suit. He's got the gray hair for it these days. I doubt that Routh will be playing his Returns version of the character. Or any previous version we've seen before. Either one would work as the "elder statesman" version of the character. But I think physically Welling fits it better. I doubt he'll be playing Superman though. I don't think either one would fit into the Returns suit at this point anyway.
    Assassinate Putin!

I think Welling is more open to embrace his Superman history because he hasn't really done anything else that is memorable. Smallville is still his biggest gig. He should be grateful, that show got him set for life.

The news that Brandon Routh is back as Superman was SO unexpected honestly. I thought about it, but never thought it'd happen. I just hope the CW write him with respect, but I doubt it (they enjoy putting Superman down to favor Supergirl unfortunately).

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    Welling seems a little more amiable to playing Superman these days then he was ten years ago. Part of that was that he got to the point where he hated the character after playing him for 18 hour days. So maybe he could play something like the Batman Beyond version of Superman or something. A super-suit but not THE super-suit. He's got the gray hair for it these days. I doubt that Routh will be playing his Returns version of the character. Or any previous version we've seen before. Either one would work as the "elder statesman" version of the character. But I think physically Welling fits it better. I doubt he'll be playing Superman though. I don't think either one would fit into the Returns suit at this point anyway.
    Even 10 years ago, Welling did not “hate” Clark. That’s a vast misstatement of anything he’s ever said. He was tired and needed a break after 10 years of living in Vancouver separated from his friends and family but he did not hate the character. If anything, what he’s expressed is that Smallville ending was both necessary but difficult for him and he went through a period of grieving and personal reflection for awhile. Every interview he gave around the time the show was ending was emotional and kind. He did not hate Clark ever. If anything, what we know from the comments of writers and the producers was that he was extremely protective of Clark, often advocating for him and had very strong ideas about who he was and what he believed in by the end. He wasn’t just opinionated about not wearing the suit. He was also opinionated about things that he felt damaged Clark’s character and was very quick to express concern to writers if he felt they were portraying Clark as dishonest or attempting subterfuge.

Erica Durance and Tom Welling were both very involved and vocal about who they believed Lois and Clark were in the final seasons. A lot of the legitimately great stuff between them in the final seasons was because the actors cared so much and spoke up.

Welling is a father now and he’s been through some personal relationships failing in the last decade. He likely ::is:: more soft now towards Superman because he’s a parent and he has grown a lot. Much like Routh, he would likely have made a very convincing Rebirth Superman/father of Jon Kent as he’s a very devoted father much like Routh is. But Tom never hated Clark even in the final days of Smallville.

It’d be pretty interesting to see Smallville’s Lionel Luthor somehow meet Earth 38 Lillian.

Spectacular Member

I've watched 3 whole episodes of the Arrowverse but I now desperately want to watch this

Quote Originally Posted by stargazer01 View Post
    I think Welling is more open to embrace his Superman history because he hasn't really done anything else that is memorable. Smallville is still his biggest gig. He should be grateful, that show got him set for life.

The news that Brandon Routh is back as Superman was SO unexpected honestly. I thought about it, but never thought it'd happen. I just hope the CW write him with respect, but I doubt it (they enjoy putting Superman down to favor Supergirl unfortunately).
    To be fair to Welling most actors who play one character for a long time especially superheroes usually like to distance themselves from the roles for a period of time afterwards over fears of type casting.

Quote Originally Posted by stargazer01 View Post
    Same, I'm kind of freaking out with joy because I loved him in the role. However, I'm nervous because the CW writers often let me down, especially how they write Superman.......

Also hope Jon Cryer returns as Lex!
    I am pretty sure he will given that the Monitor showed up and did some sort of hand thing at Lex's corpse in the Supergirl season finale.

Quote Originally Posted by OpaqueGiraffe17 View Post
    It’d be pretty interesting to see Smallville’s Lionel Luthor somehow meet Earth 38 Lillian.
    Would Lillian recognize him though, considering her Lionel was tall, handsome, and bald?

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

So 'sources' were actually for real sources, it seems.

Buh-bye

I'm probably VERY alone in this, but I'm almost hoping he gets a shot at wearing a "Reeve"-like suit - especially since nearly everyone else in the Arrowverse is textures/etc, it'd be neat to see something unique from that.

But regardless, I'm really excited about this!
    Hear my new CD "Love The World Away", available on iTunes, Google Music, Spotify, Shazam, and Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N5XYV..._waESybX1C0RXK via @amazon
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com
    TV interview here: https://snjtoday.com/snj-today-hotline-jamie-kelley/

I'm happy for him. Like most everyone else has pointed out, there was zero wrong with him as an actor, rather the script just being complete ass.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Dispenser Of Truth View Post
    So 'sources' were actually for real sources, it seems.

Damn this SDCC has been great for Superman!

I'm gonna go back on my belief that we won't ever see live-action trunks again. Because I think we just might for KC Superman. He's older, from a generation past. It would make sense to go old school in that instance.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

Superman Returns!!!

Indeed!
    Last edited by Doctor Know; 07-20-2019 at 06:07 PM.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

At least Routh fits the part a little better than the other CW guy from the SUPERGIRL show. Neither of them read as SUPERMAN to me, but hey.

If Welling makes an appearance, I'll watch this. I'd like to see SUPERMAN get away from the CW entirely. I'd like a quality show on like AMC or something.