Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

“I don’t know if it’s for me to say,” Guggenheim said. “We’re picking up so many years after the events of that movie, maybe a coda is a better word than sequel.”
    Does strongly seem to imply that Routh is playing an older version of the same Superman from Returns.

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

Now that discussion regarding Welling is ramping up, a suggestion: he's definitely never gonna wear the actual full Superman suit, he's made that very clear. So an alternative that lets him maintain what he clearly considers his dignity on the matter while still giving us what we want (without the inevitably disappointing sight of him rocking the Superman Returns getup): he slaps on the Morrison/Pak t-shirt and jeans and plays a more seasoned version of that guy. Smallville ended just a few months before the beginning of the New 52, and the first time we ever actually saw that younger, flightless Superman in an incomplete costume, well, Morrison wasn’t exactly being subtle in his choice of dialogue:

Everything I’ve seen of Welling suggests he’d have a way better time anyway playing cocky, fun, rabble-rousing millennial fury Superman than a half-baked Reeve impression (especially since Routh’s already on deck to be the Reeve figure and will do a much better job in that capacity). Hell, when he first said he’d be showing up on Arrow I joked the last season should be Smallville Superman and Arrow Arrow doing Hard Travelling Heroes, with the Monitor in the Appa Ali Apsa role. Still do that, but with Arrow being the one who has to learn about the Real America from Springsteen Supes! Even if we don’t get that best of all possible worlds though, this really does feel like it’d be a lot of fun, something that Welling might be agreeable to compared to the alternatives that would be a lot more satisfying than him just playing Clark, and something that’d help differentiate him from the other two Supermen flying around.
    Buh-bye

Quote Originally Posted by Dispenser Of Truth View Post
    Now that discussion regarding Welling is ramping up, a suggestion: he's definitely never gonna wear the actual full Superman suit, he's made that very clear. So an alternative that lets him maintain what he clearly considers his dignity on the matter while still giving us what we want (without the inevitably disappointing sight of him rocking the Superman Returns getup): he slaps on the Morrison/Pak t-shirt and jeans and plays a more seasoned version of that guy.
    I know I'm in the massive minority here, but my feeling is that if he's not interested in wearing the costume, then I don't want him to - and I honestly don't care to see him involved. He was great on Lucifer and if he gets more roles like that, good for him and I'll enjoy his performances if it's a show I'm already watching. If Superman is beneath his dignity, I'm fine with him staying away from it.

But let Rosenbaum in the door, because he's a bada$$ and clearly enjoys these things. Heck, if he doesn't want to wear a bald cap, give him a red curly wig and let him be Earth-3 Alexander Luthor! (and John Glover, while we're at it, because he's great, too).

It's also a shame they don't get either/both Superboy's involved (John Newton and/or Gerard Christopher). Everybody forgets about them, but they both look great even now and are still working actors.
    Hear my new CD "Love The World Away", available on iTunes, Google Music, Spotify, Shazam, and Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N5XYV..._waESybX1C0RXK via @amazon
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com
    TV interview here: https://snjtoday.com/snj-today-hotline-jamie-kelley/

Any chance of getting Laura Vandervoort playing a Supergirl from another universe, or maybe Power Girl?

Laura Vandervoort, Erica Durance, Terry Hatcher, etc. all have appeared on Supergirl in pretty substantial roles. Vandervoort a main villain in the back protion of the first season. It really should be relatively easy to get them onto this again barring scheduling issues.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JAK View Post
    I know I'm in the massive minority here, but my feeling is that if he's not interested in wearing the costume, then I don't want him to - and I honestly don't care to see him involved. He was great on Lucifer and if he gets more roles like that, good for him and I'll enjoy his performances if it's a show I'm already watching. If Superman is beneath his dignity, I'm fine with him staying away from it.

But let Rosenbaum in the door, because he's a bada$$ and clearly enjoys these things. Heck, if he doesn't want to wear a bald cap, give him a red curly wig and let him be Earth-3 Alexander Luthor! (and John Glover, while we're at it, because he's great, too).

It's also a shame they don't get either/both Superboy's involved (John Newton and/or Gerard Christopher). Everybody forgets about them, but they both look great even now and are still working actors.
    I'm kind of surprised about that too. One of them is in his sixties. If anyone could play a KC Superman, you'd think it would be him. As for Welling, I think people are making way too big a deal out of this. The guy just doesn't want to put the suit on. Leave him alone. I've never understood this idea of twisting his arm into doing something he doesn't want to do. I'm also of the opinion that if he really doesn't want anything to do with Superman anymore, then maybe it's best to proceed without him.
    Assassinate Putin!

Quote Originally Posted by Dispenser Of Truth View Post
    Now that discussion regarding Welling is ramping up, a suggestion: he's definitely never gonna wear the actual full Superman suit, he's made that very clear. So an alternative that lets him maintain what he clearly considers his dignity on the matter while still giving us what we want (without the inevitably disappointing sight of him rocking the Superman Returns getup): he slaps on the Morrison/Pak t-shirt and jeans and plays a more seasoned version of that guy. Smallville ended just a few months before the beginning of the New 52, and the first time we ever actually saw that younger, flightless Superman in an incomplete costume, well, Morrison wasn’t exactly being subtle in his choice of dialogue:

Everything I’ve seen of Welling suggests he’d have a way better time anyway playing cocky, fun, rabble-rousing millennial fury Superman than a half-baked Reeve impression (especially since Routh’s already on deck to be the Reeve figure and will do a much better job in that capacity). Hell, when he first said he’d be showing up on Arrow I joked the last season should be Smallville Superman and Arrow Arrow doing Hard Travelling Heroes, with the Monitor in the Appa Ali Apsa role. Still do that, but with Arrow being the one who has to learn about the Real America from Springsteen Supes! Even if we don’t get that best of all possible worlds though, this really does feel like it’d be a lot of fun, something that Welling might be agreeable to compared to the alternatives that would be a lot more satisfying than him just playing Clark, and something that’d help differentiate him from the other two Supermen flying around.
    Much as I would love to see that incarnation show up anywhere in outside media, Welling is a little too old to be playing that much more rough and tough Superman. He’s already got grey temples.
    Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    I'm kind of surprised about that too. One of them is in his sixties. If anyone could play a KC Superman, you'd think it would be him. As for Welling, I think people are making way too big a deal out of this. The guy just doesn't want to put the suit on. Leave him alone. I've never understood this idea of twisting his arm into doing something he doesn't want to do. I'm also of the opinion that if he really doesn't want anything to do with Superman anymore, then maybe it's best to proceed without him.
    Yeah the last thing we need is Welling giving a half-hearted performance because he’s being forced to do something he doesn’t want to do. If he wants to take part fine. If not then move on without him.

Retired

Tom Welling always seemed pretty sombre to me and not the kind of guy who could play a fun loving Superman. Likewise, Dean Cain has become a lot more glum and boring with time. Whereas Brandon Routh and Tim Daly are guys that seem to appreciate a good joke and don't take themselves so seriously.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

One thing I wouldn't mind seeing if they would manage to somehow get Welling and Rosenbaum back for this is have them play Ultraman and Alexander Luthor of Earth 3. The heroic Lex and an evil Kal. Welling always seemed to enjoy playing evil Clark before and Rosenbaum probably doesn't want to shave his head. A nice nod to Smallville with a twist. Have Kristen Kruek as Lex's wife Lana Lang and Erica Durance as Ultrawoman aka evil Lois Lane for the extra point.
    Last edited by manofsteel1979; 08-20-2019 at 11:17 AM.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    One thing I wouldn't mind seeing if they would manage to somehow get Welling and Rosenbaum back for this is have them play Ultraman and Alexander Luthor of Earth 3. The heroic Lex and an evil Kal. Welling always seemed to enjoy playing evil Clark before and Rosenbaum probably doesn't want to shave his head. A nice nod to Smallville with a twist.
    He'd still have to wear a costume though.
    Assassinate Putin!

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    He'd still have to wear a costume though.
    True, but they could whip up something like he wore on Smallville. Hell,he dressed as a version of Ultraman once. Have him wear that. Black trenchcoat and t-shirt.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

Retired

I don't expect everyone to show up in costumes. I'm just happy to have them come visit, they shouldn't feel the need to get all dressed up.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Tom Welling always seemed pretty sombre to me and not the kind of guy who could play a fun loving Superman. Likewise, Dean Cain has become a lot more glum and boring with time. Whereas Brandon Routh and Tim Daly are guys that seem to appreciate a good joke and don't take themselves so seriously.
    Actually, Dean was pretty energetic in Metropolis when we met him. As long as he's not talking politics (and we didn't), he was fun, joking, everything. So I think he'd be fine, personally.

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    One thing I wouldn't mind seeing if they would manage to somehow get Welling and Rosenbaum back for this is have them play Ultraman and Alexander Luthor of Earth 3. The heroic Lex and an evil Kal. Welling always seemed to enjoy playing evil Clark before and Rosenbaum probably doesn't want to shave his head. A nice nod to Smallville with a twist. Have Kristen Kruek as Lex's wife Lana Lang and Erica Durance as Ultrawoman aka evil Lois Lane for the extra point.
    You know, that would be a pretty awesome twist. I still doubt he'd do it, but the idea is unique enough that it might work. But if not, there are plenty of people who can stand in for Welling for the same scenario. A stunt double, maybe?
    Hear my new CD "Love The World Away", available on iTunes, Google Music, Spotify, Shazam, and Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N5XYV..._waESybX1C0RXK via @amazon
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com
    TV interview here: https://snjtoday.com/snj-today-hotline-jamie-kelley/

If Welling shows up, I'm honestly fine with him just wearing either the red leather jacket with the S on the front (season 10), or donning the old blue shirt/red jacket or red shirt/blue jacket combo. There could be dozens of reasons written in as to why his Clark doesn't have his suit with him, the easiest perhaps is saying it was destroyed in an earlier battle with the Anti-Monitor. He shows up on Earth 1, and Cisco makes him a "suit". Easy peasy. And if it's the red leather, then the design even fits Cisco's other suits, like his Vibe outfit. I think that's the easiest route, and Welling isn't forced to wear a suit.

And honestly...if they were to get Welling back as Clark, I don't want him anywhere near the classic suit. If he comes back, it's to portray the character from Smallville, a show which had no classic suit, so seeing him in a suit would make him "just another Superman" to me. Having him wear something from his own show would be a return of the Smallville Clark. That's how I look at it anyway.
    "Darkseid...always hated music..."

Every post I make, it should be assumed by the reader that the following statement is attached: "It's all subjective. What works for me doesn't necessarily work for you, and vice versa, and that's ok. You may have a different opinion on it, but this is mine. That's the wonderful thing about being a comics fan, it's all subjective."

Quote Originally Posted by Clark_Kent View Post
    If Welling shows up, I'm honestly fine with him just wearing either the red leather jacket with the S on the front (season 10), or donning the old blue shirt/red jacket or red shirt/blue jacket combo. There could be dozens of reasons written in as to why his Clark doesn't have his suit with him, the easiest perhaps is saying it was destroyed in an earlier battle with the Anti-Monitor. He shows up on Earth 1, and Cisco makes him a "suit". Easy peasy. And if it's the red leather, then the design even fits Cisco's other suits, like his Vibe outfit. I think that's the easiest route, and Welling isn't forced to wear a suit.

And honestly...if they were to get Welling back as Clark, I don't want him anywhere near the classic suit. If he comes back, it's to portray the character from Smallville, a show which had no classic suit, so seeing him in a suit would make him "just another Superman" to me. Having him wear something from his own show would be a return of the Smallville Clark. That's how I look at it anyway.
    The Red Leather Jacket from season 10 could work
    Pull List:
    DC: Batman, Nightwing, Red Hood: Outlaw, Detective Comics, Superman, Action Comics, Young Justice, Legion of Superheroes, John Constantine: Hellblazer, Batman Beyond, Dark Nights: Death Metal
    MARVEL: Fantastic Four, Daredevil, The Immortal Hulk, Venom, Web of Venom, Dawn of X
    BOOM STUDIOS: Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Willow, Angel and Spike
    DARK HORSE: Bill and Ted are doomed.
    IMAGE: The Walking Dead: Deluxe