Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    This is the only trunkless suit I've ever liked. And it's because they break up the blue so well.
    The darker shades of blue running along the sides looks awesome.

Heh, the two tone blue is actually the element of the suit I don't like. Its too Eradicator. I mean, its a general post-Crisis Kryptonian design so in theory it fits, but in reality, its iconic for Eradicator now. To me it would have been better without that element. But that's just me. Its the same with me with all the trunksless suits though outside of Reborn, in general I liked them all, but there's always one element that I hate. With New 52 it was the high collar, with Rebirth it was the ugly movie cuffs (the blue boots I could've gotten used to I suppose), with Earth 2 it was the S connected to the cape.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 07-21-2019 at 10:49 AM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Astonishing Member

I love it because it reminds me of Eradicator, lol.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nelliebly View Post
    From what I’ve heard the issue is that WB wouldn’t let him wear the classic suit and the only way he was allowed to appear was by wearing a different suit.

He seems to clarify on twitter that this is true because he responded explicitly to an article saying that he “revealed he was playing the KC Superman” by saying the “only reveal was the suit.”

So he likely is playing an older version of Clark, wearing a suit that resembles KC because WB won’t let him wear the classic suit (which is obviously stupid) and his story will be some kind of fond farewell.

There has been a long suspicion that Superman will die in the crisis in Kara’s place. My suspicion is that Routh’s Superman will be the one to sacrifice himself specifically to not only save Kara but to ensure that the Hoechlin Superman can stay with Lois and their child and not have to leave them. And if that’s how it plays out, I expect a lot of tears.
    Especially if they use the John Williams theme somewhere in his appearances....

Actually I'm thinking that it's very possible that the only " major" hero death will be Routh Superman. It was hinted in the Arrow finale that Oliver's death may not be exactly what it seems. I could see Routh Supes being the one to sacrifice himself for Kara,Barry,Oliver and Their Clark. If Brandon is indeed playing his Superman,by default he is basically playing the Chris Reeve version of Superman. Even though we had the George Reeves Superman series and Adam West's Batman, the DCU as weve known it in live action can be traced back to that 1978 movie. It's where it sort of all started. Thematically that incarnation of Superman "ending" it 40 plus years later via a sacrifice play to save his "successors" would be poetic.

I also selfishly want a scene where Hoechlin,Routh , Welling and Cain all show up as variations of Superman and Cryer's Lex reacting to it.
    Last edited by manofsteel1979; 07-21-2019 at 01:03 PM.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

Incredible Member

From what I’ve heard the issue is that WB wouldn’t let him wear the classic suit and the only way he was allowed to appear was by wearing a different suit.

He seems to clarify on twitter that this is true because he responded explicitly to an article saying that he “revealed he was playing the KC Superman” by saying the “only reveal was the suit.”

So he likely is playing an older version of Clark, wearing a suit that resembles KC because WB won’t let him wear the classic suit (which is obviously stupid) and his story will be some kind of fond farewell.

There has been a long suspicion that Superman will die in the crisis in Kara’s place. My suspicion is that Routh’s Superman will be the one to sacrifice himself specifically to not only save Kara but to ensure that the Hoechlin Superman can stay with Lois and their child and not have to leave them. And if that’s how it plays out, I expect a lot of tears.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    This makes a lot of sense and would actually fit really well within the Superman Returns continuity. Routh's Superman sees Hoechlin's with the opportunity to have a life with Lois and their child that he didn't when he left his Lois Lane in Superman Returns and makes sure he can have that.
    It’s not and it drives me crazy. SR was a flawed narrative because it was tragic and put both Superman and Lois in a no win situation. Watching characters we love, especially an iconic couple, be put in a no win situation where someone is bound to get hurt is awful and tragic but that’s the thing....it’s a tragic story. But he wasn’t a deadbeat Dad anymore than she was as deserving of the “b****” accusations lobbied at her. He made a mistake in leaving her and he had to live with the cost. But it was an honest mistake. He didn’t realize he was leaving her pregnant. Had he known, he surely would never have gone. She did her best to move on because it was the best thing she could do for her son. Clearly, they still loved each other but then there was an innocent 3rd party and a child to think of.

It’s a sad story for all involved and as much as I don’t want any Superman to die, I strongly suspect that it one of them does....it’s not going to be the one who has the chance to go live with his wife and baby.
    I agree! This is what make most sense. Add to it that Routh and Hoechlin have been implying they'll fight each other (via Twitter), I think it'll be SR Superman having evolved into a mix of KC Supes and Earth 2 from COIE and IC.

Fantastic Member Potanical Pardon's Avatar

Welling is still too hillbilly resentful of superheroes and costumes like in a "too f--gy for me" scoffing sort of thing. I didn't used to think it was severe to such a degree of hostility until some months ago when I saw some video with he and Rosenbaum doing a Q&A.

Incredible Member

So Brandon is going to play deadbeat dad man rather then KC Superman? Shame as I would've been more interested in KC.

Though to be honest I think KC deserves a movie of its own rather then the CWverse.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ssupes View Post
    So Brandon is going to play deadbeat dad man rather then KC Superman? Shame as I would've been more interested in KC.

Though to be honest I think KC deserves a movie of its own rather then the CWverse.
    Routh’s Superman was not a deadbeat Dad and there are discussions about why that’s a disingenuous label of him right in this thread. Superman Returns was a sad story that put Superman and Lois both in an extremely difficult position. By the end of the film, it’s fairly clear that they are both trying to put their own selfish desires aside to do what’s best for the child.

I suspect it will be a long time if ever that you see a film rooted in Kingdom Come. It was a narrative meant to be a response to something very specific in the 90’s and it doesn’t really work in the modern landscape where Superman’s film history has already skewed darker and sad. A sad Superman with a dead wife is basically the polar opposite of what you will likely see from WB going forward with Superman.

I'm thinking its just going to be vague all-around. To me that's the best play. The general look will be KC to represent an older Superman as that's in fandom's consciousness as one of the most famous interpretations of Old Man Superman. But the details, the backstory? I think it'll be mostly left to interpretation. That this is just an older Superman who probably doesn't have Lois anymore. And that's that. If people want to see his future as being very KC-like, they can. If they want to see it as a direct continuation of the SR Superman, they can.

I'm more interested in KC as a potential Elseworlds animated project than anything the CW could do anyway. With more of those confirmed to be coming up, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see DC finally do it now.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 07-22-2019 at 11:07 AM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    I'm thinking its just going to be vague all-around. To me that's the best play. The general look will be KC to represent an older Superman as that's in fandom's consciousness as one of the most famous interpretations of Old Man Superman. But the details, the backstory? I think it'll be mostly left to interpretation. That this is just an older Superman who probably doesn't have Lois anymore. And that's that. If people want to see his future as being very KC-like, they can. If they want to see it as a direct continuation of the SR Superman, they can.

I'm more interested in KC as a potential Elseworlds animated project than anything the CW could do anyway. With more of those confirmed to be coming up, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see DC finally do it now.
    I imagine his appearance will be solely filled with "I lost my Lois, you should cherish you're time with each other" and other lines along those sentiment that CW is pretty famous for. Nothing else.

Hopefully with the announcement of red son maybe there is a director at DC animation who is brave enough for a KC project.

Retired

I think it's partly a matter that the TV show has to honour live action versions of Superman--there is no Kal-L from Earth-Two in the live action history, but there are the old school screen Supermen, which is a role that Brandon Routh has inherited. And it's partly that they can't use the SUPERMAN RETURNS suit because WB is stupid, so they have to use a suit that has some kind of meaning for the fandom. The KINGDOM COME suit (or a version of it) satisfies those needs.

Incredible Member

I suspect it will be a long time if ever that you see a film rooted in Kingdom Come. It was a narrative meant to be a response to something very specific in the 90’s and it doesn’t really work in the modern landscape where Superman’s film history has already skewed darker and sad. A sad Superman with a dead wife is basically the polar opposite of what you will likely see from WB going forward with Superman.
    You Sure? Based on the fact that Zack Synder based pretty much all of the Batman V Superman on 90's tropes and what he had planned I'd say kingdom come is still pretty relevant and could even be the remedy to the rejection those films faced. I mean Civil war is pretty much inspired from it as well so it's not so stuck in the 90's as you hope. Maybe in the near future after all this mess from synder is finished they could possibly create one based on kingdom come.

Astonishing Member

This news is HUGE, simply for the fact that its, to my knowledge, the first time that a DC television universe has been so explicitly linked to a DC cinematic universe. Obviously, we don't know how this will work continuity-wise, but its obvious that putting Brandon Routh of all people back in the suit is meant to evoke his turn as the cinematic Superman.

Now in terms of what Superman Routh is playing...I kinda feel that he'll be evoking the Earth 2 Superman. Which makes sense, since Routh's Superman is supposed to be the Christopher Reeves Superman...who is arguably the 'Golden Age Superman' on-screen - George Reeves notwithstanding!

The problem of course is how to distinguish him characterization-wise from the Hoechlin Superman who's also a Christopher Reeves homage!

So maybe throw in an element of KC. Perhaps the Anti-Monitor killed Lois when he destroyed this Superman's world. Or maybe he just killed Lois even though the world was saved. And s we see a somewhat darker Superman who's old and weary and out for revenge. And in Hoechlin's Superman he sees the hope and idealism he once represented.

You Sure? Based on the fact that Zack Synder based pretty much all of the Batman V Superman on 90's tropes and what he had planned I'd say kingdom come is still pretty relevant and could even be the remedy to the rejection those films faced. I mean Civil war is pretty much inspired from it as well so it's not so stuck in the 90's as you hope. Maybe in the near future after all this mess from synder is finished they could possibly create one based on kingdom come.
    I honestly don't get the idea that Kingdom Come, a story that relies on decades of established comic history, is the remedy for a movie universe that suffered precisely because they tried to rush into some shared mythology that wasn't earned. The idea that jumping even further ahead would fix that seems like doubling down. Kingdom Come's basic premise is that the real heroes were rejected by the 90's edgelords. If anything, the criticism of Snyder's vision is that he turned the baseline heroes into the edgelords.

Basically, Kingdom Come works as a warning and deconstruction. The DCEU started as a deconstruction, so how can further deconstruction work?

BANNED

Yeah and it wasn’t well received.

Personally, I am a defender of Snyder in some respects. I think he’s been unfairly maligned in some respects and I think there was value in the story he was trying to tell but the general public was very split on that take on Superman.

There is no way that the next cinematic version of Superman will be KC inspired. The market has spoken about how it feels about sad Superman and that was without the dead wife element that would be ultimately flagged now as an overdone sexist trope.

The CW will get away with having an older, more weary version of Superman because he will stand in contrast to Hoechlin where Lois is alive as is their child. But there is zero chance that WB is going to go in that kind of sad direction with a character who literally just ended a controversial and divisive franchise where one of the chief critical and fan complaints (fair or unfair) was that Superman didn’t smile enough.