Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member

That's my whole point, that zacks films are all based on 90's tropes of edgelords killing that kingdom come deconstructs hence why I feel it could do better then Snyders previous work and maybe turn the conversation around from a superman and a batman that kills into the heroes that inspire rather then "Martha!" that they have been tainted with. I doubt this will happen as we are going full reboot but it goes to show that comics are still afflicted by the 90's even now.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by ssupes View Post
    That's my whole point, that zacks films are all based on 90's tropes of edgelords killing that kingdom come deconstructs hence why I feel it could do better then Snyders previous work and maybe turn the conversation around from a superman and a batman that kills into the heroes that inspire rather then "Martha!" that they have been tainted with. I doubt this will happen as we are going full reboot but it goes to show that comics are still afflicted by the 90's even now.
    The films are based on comics from the 80s not 90s. Zack's biggest influences are Frank Miller and Alan Moore. He met with Miller to talk about Batman v Superman before he started filming.

https://wegotthiscovered.com/movies/...tman-superman/

A KC movie will be out of place.

Kingdom Come works as an ending story, but it’s a terrible starting point. Using it as the starting point for a Superman reboot would be as short sighted as Snyder’s usage of TDKR and the DoS in BvS. Save that for the ending.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    I honestly don't get the idea that Kingdom Come, a story that relies on decades of established comic history, is the remedy for a movie universe that suffered precisely because they tried to rush into some shared mythology that wasn't earned. The idea that jumping even further ahead would fix that seems like doubling down. Kingdom Come's basic premise is that the real heroes were rejected by the 90's edgelords. If anything, the criticism of Snyder's vision is that he turned the baseline heroes into the edgelords.

Basically, Kingdom Come works as a warning and deconstruction. The DCEU started as a deconstruction, so how can further deconstruction work?
    Kingdom Come is an Elseworlds story, it doesn’t rely on any continuity at all, just that you the reader know the basics about these characters. The Joker kills Lois and the DP, Superman turns him over to the cops, Mangog kills Joker, and the public sides with Mangog over Superman causing Superman to retire. That’s basically all the set up you need. I’d personally split Kingdom Come into two movies, the first dealing with the events leading up to Superman’s retirement and then the sequel showcasing the titular plot, but I don’t think that’s required.

A lot of fans seem to take Routh getting a follow up role further legitimizes Returns as being the canon sequel to Superman 1&2 rather than 3 and Quest for Peace. I tended to see Returns as it’s own thing, but let’s say Routh and Reeve are the same Superman. Chances are that universe is going to be canon foddler same as 90s Flash. Wouldn’t that bother anyone else when revisiting the Donner movies if you know it all gets destroyed?

I think it’s probably going to be a super vague reference if there’s anything at all. I doubt it’s anything explicit. I wouldn’t be disappointed by this being his ending if it’s going out heroically and helping save the universe. I’d prefer he goes the Earth 2 Superman route and gets to go off into the sunset with his Lois though.

They just confirmed Bitsie Tolluch is coming back and that their child will be shown as well. No confirmation if it’s Jon though.

Quote Originally Posted by OpaqueGiraffe17 View Post
    A lot of fans seem to take Routh getting a follow up role further legitimizes Returns as being the canon sequel to Superman 1&2 rather than 3 and Quest for Peace. I tended to see Returns as it’s own thing, but let’s say Routh and Reeve are the same Superman. Chances are that universe is going to be canon foddler same as 90s Flash. Wouldn’t that bother anyone else when revisiting the Donner movies if you know it all gets destroyed?
    Not really. I mean I can enjoy the first two films without caring that the next two Superman films are godawful. I can enjoy the first two films even with Returns. Routh may be a spiritual successor to Reeves but if you don’t want consider them the same guy, you don’t have to. Continuity doesn’t really matter for the films.

Quote Originally Posted by OpaqueGiraffe17 View Post
    I personally think Singer's intent was very much to be the "true" sequel to S 1 & 2. There's too many similarities involved to discount that (Lois' article "I Spent the Night With Superman", Brando Jor-El, dialogue, music, Lex knowing how to get to the Fortress, etc etc) as well as Singer's comments on the matter. WB also sold them as a "trilogy" set at one point, where you got S:TM, S2: Donner Cut, and Returns in one bluray case. Having said that though, I can see why one would choose to keep it separate even if the intent was to replace 3 & 4.

But no, even when I personally consider it canon to Reeve's films, it wouldn't bother me to rewatch them knowing that world eventually was destroyed. I've been reading comics long enough to know that certain continuities get blown up or replaced on a regular basis. It's the same as knowing that Keaton's Batman lived on a world that was probably destroyed as well, even if we never see anything from it.
    "Darkseid...always hated music..."

Every post I make, it should be assumed by the reader that the following statement is attached: "It's all subjective. What works for me doesn't necessarily work for you, and vice versa, and that's ok. You may have a different opinion on it, but this is mine. That's the wonderful thing about being a comics fan, it's all subjective."

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

Quote Originally Posted by ssupes View Post
    Not they aren't. In nether of the films is killing glorified or presented as entirely a good thing. Superman doesn't enjoy killing Zod in the first film and Batman killing people is shown as being bad (at least when it is done in self defense). By your logic, Wonder Woman and the MCU films are also based on 90s edgelord (boy is that term starting to lose meaning) tropes.

Btw, DC in the 90s was way more optimistic that they are now.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 07-23-2019 at 07:59 AM.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Cosmicbook.news is a bs site. At best, you'll get luckily guesses from them.

Retired

I do worry that if they bring in a bunch of actors from previous shows then they won't get any more screen time than John Wesley Shipp got in the Elseworlds event--and maybe even a lot less than that. If they have five episodes for the event and each episode has to give screen time to the regular cast for each show, then other actors would seem shoe-horned in.

I'm hoping there will be more episodes on ARROW leading up to COIE, where various actors could have the chance to play counterparts on multiple Earths.

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

Definitely no as far as that site's 'sources', but Welling's already soft-confirmed and I figure Carter showing up as an unnamed woman of wonderous power is basically a given. And while I'd put the odds at something like one out of a hundred, I wouldn't be *completely* bowled over if Ezra Miller stuck his head in for five seconds.
    Buh-bye

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    Cosmicbook.news is a bs site. At best, you'll get luckily guesses from them.
    What I don't get about stuff like that is, what happens when they turn out to be wrong? Do they backtrack at the last minute? What do they tell people? The legal issues alone for securing the rights to all those shows and movies would be too much of a headache to bother with. There's a reason it took forever to get Muppet Babies out on DVD. Some shows can't even secure the rights to certain songs they used(cough) Mission Hill (cough).
    Assassinate Putin!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I do worry that if they bring in a bunch of actors from previous shows then they won't get any more screen time than John Wesley Shipp got in the Elseworlds event--and maybe even a lot less than that. If they have five episodes for the event and each episode has to give screen time to the regular cast for each show, then other actors would seem shoe-horned in.

I'm hoping there will be more episodes on ARROW leading up to COIE, where various actors could have the chance to play counterparts on multiple Earths.
    Yeah, Wesley Shipp's cameo as OG Flash was kinda the only disappointing thing about the Elseworlds crossover. Though confirming Diggle as a doppelganger to John Stewart did kinda make up for it

Burt Ward has already been confirmed as a cameo. My guess is that he'll appear in a scene on some earth being ravaged by the Shadow Demons. He'll be some civilian in the background while one or more heroes deals with an attack and he risks his life and does something to help the hero take down a Shadow Demon. There's a brief conversation where he mentions that he's used to "saving the day" or that its been a "long time" since he's done something like this. Or maybe just a not-so-subtle "Holy ---" before he walks off. My preference is for the hero he interacts with to be Batwoman, and she maybe mentions "He reminds me a bit of that circus kid my cousin took in" or "He looks a bit familiar".

Routh as Superman will definitely be a somewhat prominent role. I'm guessing at least one or two extended scenes with the multiple Supermen meeting...not to mention Ray coming face to face with a Superman who looks just like him! Kara is definitely going to interact with him as well.

It would be cool if each show had a "Crisis tie-in" episode right before the event begins. That way everyone would get a good look at the guest stars doing heroic things, giving non fans of the older material a reason to care about them, and then it'd be sadder when some die off. It would also allow them to get more screentime than just in the event itself, making it easier for the bean counters to justify not going super cheap on the costumes.

The week before Crisis begins, you could have 1 "legacy" character appear on each show or something. Routh's Superman could guest on Legends, Carter's WW (IF true) on Supergirl, Shipp's Flash on Flash, etc. Let them live and interact for 1 prelude show and then hit us with the crisis event.
    "Darkseid...always hated music..."

Every post I make, it should be assumed by the reader that the following statement is attached: "It's all subjective. What works for me doesn't necessarily work for you, and vice versa, and that's ok. You may have a different opinion on it, but this is mine. That's the wonderful thing about being a comics fan, it's all subjective."