Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Default Disney : Box Office Champion of 2019.

I was gonna post this over in Box Office bust thread. But its clear that this didn't fit. But in 2019 ...Walt Disney has literally won the box office crown and its only 6 months in. How much did Disney dominate this year ? Well folks I'll add it up and it expands beyond the all-time world wide record holder "Avengers : Endgame" right now.

- Disney released Avengers : Endgame , Aladdin , Captain Marvel and Lion King this past year. 2 of those films are currently running still. One is a sure bet to cross a $1+ billion mark in a few days (Lion King) to catch the others. All together right now those 4 films worldwide has grossed $5.8+ billion. Now 2 of them will likely bump the totals to $6+ billion by the time its over with.

- Even the other $1+ billion film "Spider-Man : Far from Home" got help from Disney with Marvel films helping Sony. This film will likely become Sony's all-time worldwide studio earner (passing Skyfall) and makes it a no brainer that they will renew the deal there.

- Domestically if you check the chart ...Disney has the 1st top 5 domestic earning films thus far. Endgame , Captain Marvel , Toy Story 4 , Lion King and Aladdin. The films all domestically have done so well that its remote another film could pass them right now.

- Factoring in Fox as a studio after the purchase has went through they have 7 films in the top earning films domestically of 2019.

At this point Disney still has more ahead as well for 2019. Counting Fox these are the major releases ahead. The Disney releases will be in stars.

The Art of Racing in the Rain
    Ready or Not
    Ad Astra
    The Woman in the Window
    Maleficent : Mistress of Evil*
    Ford vs Ferrari
    Frozen 2*
    Star Wars IX : Rise of Skywalker*
    Spies in Disguise

Now beyond Frozen 2 and Star Wars episode IX coming out , I doubt the others do huge numbers. But overall it will add to Disney's box office dominance this year. Frozen 2 and Star Wars could add each $1+ billion apiece to earnings for Disney bumping them around $7-9 billion at box office between just a few films. Not counting what the others do for them from Fox etc.

In all Disney has won this year and its scary just how many BIG films they put through in 2019 and the year isn't even over for them yet.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Astonishing Member

Disney has now set the global BO record at 7.67B with 5 months and 3 days left to add to it! It truly is an incredible feat by this monster studio. https://deadline.com/2019/07/the-lio...ts-1202655873/

2020 is going to be a year of ho-hum with no giant releases. The mouse is definitely going to take a step back or three.

Retired

Not exactly something to cheer about when one company holds so much control over the rest of the industry. Although, putting it in perspective, Disney is stil small potatoes compared to the really large international corporations like the banks, the oil companies and the technology sector.

What I've been asking myself recently is why this year did Disney decide to drop so many big films. Imagine if in a single year all the original movies had come out: TOY STORY, STAR WARS, THE AVENGERS, ALADDIN, THE LION KING, FROZEN. Just having one of those original movies in the year they came out was a big score for their producers. I don't understand why Disney released everything this year and didn't hold back some for next year or the year after.

Were they feeling the need to make a lot of money right away to pay for the Fox merger? Or is it a way to show off how big they are so they can win subcscribers for Disney Plus? Or are they trying to bully the theatre chains into giving their movies priority, to squeeze out their competitors?

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Not exactly something to cheer about when one company holds so much control over the rest of the industry. Although, putting it in perspective, Disney is stil small potatoes compared to the really large international corporations like the banks, the oil companies and the technology sector.

What I've been asking myself recently is why this year did Disney decide to drop so many big films. Imagine if in a single year all the original movies had come out: TOY STORY, STAR WARS, THE AVENGERS, ALADDIN, THE LION KING, FROZEN. Just having one of those original movies in the year they came out was a big score for their producers. I don't understand why Disney released everything this year and didn't hold back some for next year or the year after.

Were they feeling the need to make a lot of money right away to pay for the Fox merger? Or is it a way to show off how big they are so they can win subcscribers for Disney Plus? Or are they trying to bully the theatre chains into giving their movies priority, to squeeze out their competitors?
    Because their streaming service Disney+ launches in November and the plan is to have all these films by pass all the other outlets and go directly to Disney+.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post

No I think Disney just has a **** ton of properties they want to put out. This year just happens to be some of the biggest all hitting at the same time. Once Avatars start coming out and the MCU gets past the quite year of 2020. Disneys gonna keep remaking Live action versions of classics. Plus sequels and new animated movies. This year is definetly special but All these movies were already in motion. yea Lion King coulda been pushed to next year. Seems to be a quite year for Star wars and MCU. But maybe they released it sooner to earn some extra cash quick. Who knows but once things get moving every years gonna be a monster year. Imagine Avatar,Star wars,And a New Avengers movie all coming out the same year. But yea i just think they got too many properties and not enough time. So we are gonna have overstuffed years from them on the regular.

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    No I think Disney just has a **** ton of properties they want to put out. This year just happens to be some of the biggest all hitting at the same time. Once Avatars start coming out and the MCU gets past the quite year of 2020. Disneys gonna keep remaking Live action versions of classics. Plus sequels and new animated movies. This year is definetly special but All these movies were already in motion. yea Lion King coulda been pushed to next year. Seems to be a quite year for Star wars and MCU. But maybe they released it sooner to earn some extra cash quick. Who knows but once things get moving every years gonna be a monster year. Imagine Avatar,Star wars,And a New Avengers movie all coming out the same year. But yea i just think they got too many properties and not enough time. So we are gonna have overstuffed years from them on the regular.
    I think your massively overestimating Avatar tbh. I dont think the sequels will hit the same, nor will there be enough of a technological showcase to wow people.

Niffleheim

They release the least number of movies compared to other studios but still ending up making the most...

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ralmist View Post
    They release the least number of movies compared to other studios but still ending up making the most...
    That was what I was just about to say. Disney doesn't even release the most movies, so they actually don't really control the market, their movies just dominate.

The problem is the other studios didn't really step it up this year. WB, Paramount and Universal all have prime properties to be mined but they've just been messing around chasing trends (not everything needs to tie into a shared universe for heaven's sake!!). WB has a massive superhero catalog, Harry Potter (subject to JK Rowling obviously) and children's properties just waiting to be tapped and Paramount has some of the Hasbro properties (i still don't get the rationale behind allowing Michael Bay burn away any goodwill the Transformers movies had).

All this being said, it must be stated that a lot of this has to do with Disney's acquisitions and the likes. Right now, Disney has Pixar, Marvel and Star Wars running semi-autonomously and making billion dollar movies. They were simply smart enough to acquire all these properties while other companies will simply messing about.

BANNED

I’m still waiting for my check for saying that I like most of what Disney has released in the past 10 years or so. Need to pay off my car.

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    I think your massively overestimating Avatar tbh. I dont think the sequels will hit the same, nor will there be enough of a technological showcase to wow people.
    That could be the case but I think its equally likely they are massive billion dollar hits. Dont think they are coming close to endgame but I think they could be 1bil+. And I'm not a Avatar fan I thought it was ok at the time. Never saw it in theaters and I'm guessing watching it at home just didnt capture the Wow of it all. But it was a fine moviemaking which tends to be the case of most movies Sam Worthington stars in