Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    Why should a Mary Jane comic be about her fighting villains at all?
    It was done in Models, Inc. which starred MJ and Millie the Model among others. Well, a few panels admittedly, as the whole mini was more of a crime-solving sleuthing story.
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    Why should a Mary Jane comic be about her fighting villains at all?
    We already know this book involves Mysterio.

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    I am glad that MJ got a book and of course her getting the adjective Amazing is fitting for the once and future Mrs. Spider-Man (Only Peter and Mayday are ever called Amazing in titles they headline).
    MJ isn't the first actor to have that adjective. Nightcrawler had it in Age of X-Man - his logo was even based on ASM's.

There's also been an Amazing X-Men team, which also included Kurt.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    We already know this book involves Mysterio.

MJ isn't the first actor to have that adjective. Nightcrawler had it in Age of X-Man - his logo was even based on ASM's.

There's also been an Amazing X-Men team, which also included Kurt.
    Ok among Spider-Man titles then.

*blinks*

Well, there'll be 30 variant covers to look forward to, I guess
    ♪ღ♪*•.¸¸¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪•*

♪ღ♪░NORAH░WINTERS░FOR░SPIDER-WAIFU░♪ღ♪

*•♪ღ♪*•.¸¸¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪•«

I’ll be picking this up for sure. Always wanted to see what an MJ solo series may be like.

I google searched Carlos Gomez art and I like what I see so far. Hope the team brings it on this book!

Quote Originally Posted by Zeitgeist View Post
    *blinks*

Well, there'll be 30 variant covers to look forward to, I guess
    j scott campbell finna make a billion dollars
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

I am glad that MJ got a book and of course her getting the adjective Amazing is fitting for the once and future Mrs. Spider-Man (Only Peter and Mayday are ever called Amazing in titles they headline).
    And she is amazing .
    At the same time, the whole setting doesn't enthuse me. I mean MJ in LA and so on was done well by JMS in his run. This feels like a retread of that. Maybe if Leah Williams does something like Fraction's Hawkeye series that focused on Kate Bishop in LA where he really did tap into the comedy of an East Coast person in LA that might work.
    Williams seems to have deep experience with Hollywood and that will inform her writing here, so it'll be interesting to see what she does with it.

Hopefully MJ doesn't get into as much trouble with the law as Kate Bishop did during her time in LA under Fraction, although she has enough to worry about with Mysterio and Kindred...

Hypothetically if this were to turn into an ongoing and do it's own thing past the Spencer storylines, I'm curious if Williams would keep it in LA or move MJ back to New York.
    I guess it's nostalgia cycle, or it could be making the most of something while it lasts who knows. It might also be a way to test if MJ is really popular. Like how much will a miniseries ongoing centered around her sell. The fact that we have a female writer writing Stan Lee's greatest female character is interesting.

I hope it's good.
    Marvel seems pretty confident in it, already announcing it as an ongoing. Although they're also not leaving much to chance with all those variants .
    Quote Originally Posted by Ravin' Ray View Post
    It was done in Models, Inc. which starred MJ and Millie the Model among others. Well, a few panels admittedly, as the whole mini was more of a crime-solving sleuthing story.
    Yeah, Models, Inc. was more of a smaller-scale mystery and crime-busting story then a Superhero story. The most direct Superheroic element was probably when they referenced Patsy Walker's powers, but we never saw her in-costume as Hellcat.

Although I think MJ was advertised to have a bigger role then she actually did in the book. She basically only made a small appearance in the third issue (where she was also on the cover).

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    I'm conflicted as well. While I like the character I usually shy away from purchasing comic books which do not have a superhero (or supervillain) lead.
    I am the same way. My question is will this comic tie into Amazing with Mysterio and maybe Kindred ( which I would find interesting)? is it going to be a romance comic like Spider-Man loves Mary Jane ( which I would not read ( let alone buy))? Or is it a plan to take her away from Amazing and put her into her own ongoing ( very much like Felicia)?

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Sounds like she's the perfect writer to cover MJ taking on Hollywood again . "The goal is, of course, for them to be successful enough that ongoings happen but they’re both miniseries!" - Considering Marvel told retailers it was an ongoing, I'm wondering if they're really going to make sure that happens, or have confidence it will.
    Everybody buy a 100 copies.

Quote Originally Posted by NC_Yankee View Post
    I am the same way. My question is will this comic tie into Amazing with Mysterio and maybe Kindred ( which I would find interesting)? is it going to be a romance comic like Spider-Man loves Mary Jane ( which I would not read ( let alone buy))? Or is it a plan to take her away from Amazing and put her into her own ongoing ( very much like Felicia)?
    Its confirmed to tie into Spencer's ongoing Kindred plot, with Mysterio being the one pulling the strings behind this "movie" that MJ is doing

so for how long "in universe" has MJ stepped away from acting?

At this point I could see her as an entertainment reporter - blogger like these various E! Entertainment Tonight, Access Hollywood, Extra! type folks.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    so for how long "in universe" has MJ stepped away from acting?

At this point I could see her as an entertainment reporter - blogger like these various E! Entertainment Tonight, Access Hollywood, Extra! type folks.
    Oh, God, no. She's so above that. That's borderline sleazy work. Why would you want that?

I watched the SDCC and Nick Spencer said Amazing Mary Jane series is supplemental to whats happening in Amazing Spider-Man and he encourges people to pick it up as it will enhance their reading of Amazing.

I guess they came up with some story ideas for MJ for this that would not have been able to be fully explored in the pages of Amazing without taking over the book, so having this on the side lets those ideas not get thrown out in favor of keeping ASM on track.

I think it's fantasitc we get a MJ book supplemental to Amazing. This is just what I've been wanting to see. I can't wait.
    Last edited by Vortex85; 07-20-2019 at 02:28 PM.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

At the same time, the whole setting doesn't enthuse me. I mean MJ in LA and so on was done well by JMS in his run. This feels like a retread of that. Maybe if Leah Williams does something like Fraction's Hawkeye series that focused on Kate Bishop in LA where he really did tap into the comedy of an East Coast person in LA that might work.

I guess it's nostalgia cycle, or it could be making the most of something while it lasts who knows. It might also be a way to test if MJ is really popular. Like how much will a miniseries ongoing centered around her sell. The fact that we have a female writer writing Stan Lee's greatest female character is interesting.

I hope it's good.
    Same, although Kate Leth (Patsy Walker, a.k.a. Hellcat) did write a backup story centered around MJ and Annie for issue 1 of the Renew Your Vows ongoing and Louise Simonson (creator of Power Pack) was the writer of ASM Annual 19 that centered on Mary Jane being mistaken for Spider-Man's alter ego by Alistair Smythe and cleverly working her way out of that, so it's not like this (female writers handling Mary Jane Watson as a primary character and not "merely" a supporting role) hasn't happened before.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by Vortex85 View Post
    I watched the SDCC and Nick Spencer said Amazing Mary Jane series is supplemental to whats happening in Amazing Spider-Man and he encourges people to pick it up as it will enhance their reading of Amazing.....
    In which case I'll be sure to pick the series up as I don't want to miss anything important by chance.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."