Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Woozie View Post
    Williams said it's a five issue mini
    Disappointed, but still excited (616) Mary Jane is getting a series to herself at all.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

https://twitter.com/mymonsterischic/...21223558348801

Twitter thread by Williams where she discusses her upcoming MJ mini.

THE AMAZING MARY JANE is a 5-issue miniseries by me and @nemafronspain about MJ’s high-profile Hollywood debut with a mysterious director. Cover by @humberto_ramos!

My background prior to writing comics is marketing and film production—specifically pre-pro, as a film producer. I am goddamn GIDDY about drawing upon my FULL ARSENAL of “Hollywood bullshit” stories for this mini.

Also, both Gwenpool Strikes Back and The Amazing Mary Jane are miniseries! The goal is, of course, for them to be successful enough that ongoings happen but they’re both miniseries!

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    https://twitter.com/mymonsterischic/...21223558348801

Twitter thread by Williams where she discusses her upcoming MJ mini.
    Sounds like she's the perfect writer to cover MJ taking on Hollywood again .

"The goal is, of course, for them to be successful enough that ongoings happen but they’re both miniseries!" - Considering Marvel told retailers it was an ongoing, I'm wondering if they're really going to make sure that happens, or have confidence it will.

I wonder if Spencer is sick enough to use MJ in Hollywoo and Peter in NY along with that other ASM SDCC tease to do that one thing again.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    I wonder if Spencer is sick enough to use MJ in Hollywoo and Peter in NY along with that other ASM SDCC tease to do that one thing again.
    I think he'll at least acknowledge the MJ in Hollywood thing since it's building on his stories. I imagine he and Williams probably went over the major story beats.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think he'll at least acknowledge the MJ in Hollywood thing since it's building on his stories. I imagine he and Williams probably went over the major story beats.
    Plus it'd be a decent way to advertise the mini. Have Peter think about how MJ is in Hollywood now and have a little editor's box tell the reader you can check out what she's up to in the Amazing Mary Jane.

Quote Originally Posted by LordUltimus View Post
    Plus it'd be a decent way to advertise the mini. Have Peter think about how MJ is in Hollywood now and have a little editor's box tell the reader you can check out what she's up to in the Amazing Mary Jane.
    That's how it worked in the old days .

Quote Originally Posted by KangMiRae View Post
    Conflicted. I love Mary Jane, but I don't care for the creative team.

Also, let's keep in mind that Marvel does not treat redheads appropriately.
    I'm conflicted as well. While I like the character I usually shy away from purchasing comic books which do not have a superhero (or supervillain) lead.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Hey, issue 25 showed that she can talk herself out of a fight. She doesn't need powers to deal with villains. Not unlike Lois Lane actually, though the skillset is different (acting instead of journalism).
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Hey, issue 25 showed that she can talk herself out of a fight. She doesn't need powers to deal with villains. Not unlike Lois Lane actually, though the skillset is different (acting instead of journalism).
    True dat, I just don't usually find such books interesting. If you like that sort of thing I'm happy for you but it isn't my cup of tea.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Astonishing Member

Why should a Mary Jane comic be about her fighting villains at all?

Leah Williams doing both a Gwenpool AND Mary Jane mini-series? It's like she wants to become my new favourite writer. So super excited about this, gives a chance for her to shine in a really big way, and allows for a new dynamic of the type of storytelling. Just like someone else mentioned, with this, Lois Lane, Jimmy Olsen, etc., we're getting the return of the civilian comic books and its really cool!

(Also its a bit funny to me how like last year there were people still going off about how much Marvel hated MJ and were trying to diminish her and now after so much new content with her that she gets HER OWN BOOK, its met with some skepticism )

I'm so glad they're leaning into acting again instead of trying to make her a reporter.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    Why should a Mary Jane comic be about her fighting villains at all?
    Well, it's still set in a Superhero universe, so there's probably at least some expectation that even a civilian will foil a villain or stop a crime...which has actually happened to MJ a lot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inversed View Post
    (Also its a bit funny to me how like last year there were people still going off about how much Marvel hated MJ and were trying to diminish her and now after so much new content with her that she gets HER OWN BOOK, its met with some skepticism )
    It seems like there's been some kind of paradigm shift at Marvel when it comes to Mary Jane as of late.

I don't know what it is, creator shift from Slott to Spencer, Cebulski, a re-contexualizing of how Spider-Man should be in the modern era versus how the OMD crew saw it, or what...but I love it .

Take Me Higher The Negative Zone's Avatar
    Earth. (Unless I've been kidnapped by Skrulls)

It is nice to see her get the spotlight but not my personal cup of tea considering she's a human civilian and not a superhero.

BANNED

I am glad that MJ got a book and of course her getting the adjective Amazing is fitting for the once and future Mrs. Spider-Man (Only Peter and Mayday are ever called Amazing in titles they headline).

At the same time, the whole setting doesn't enthuse me. I mean MJ in LA and so on was done well by JMS in his run. This feels like a retread of that. Maybe if Leah Williams does something like Fraction's Hawkeye series that focused on Kate Bishop in LA where he really did tap into the comedy of an East Coast person in LA that might work.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I don't know what it is, creator shift from Slott to Spencer, Cebulski, a re-contexualizing of how Spider-Man should be in the modern era versus how the OMD crew saw it, or what...but I love it .
    I guess it's nostalgia cycle, or it could be making the most of something while it lasts who knows. It might also be a way to test if MJ is really popular. Like how much will a miniseries ongoing centered around her sell. The fact that we have a female writer writing Stan Lee's greatest female character is interesting.

I hope it's good.