Page 63 of 63 FirstFirst ... 13535960616263
    Astonishing Member

SO...I finally got around to watching Man of Tomorrow as part of my recent catch-up with the DC Animated Original Movies line. And boy, it sure didn't disappoint!

spoilers:

You can definitely see the DNA of American Alien here, specifically the last two issues in Metropolis, but that apart, this is a fairly original story.

This movie sells me on the idea that this is a 'young' Superman better than almost any story across media (Morrison's New 52 run, AA and possibly Miller's Year One being the exceptions of course). Usually, when we get a 'beginner' Superman, he's not depicted as being particularly different from the more established Superman we're all used to. He's the same guy, except he's doing all this for the first time. But this movie really sells us on Clark's almost boyish optimism and enthusiasm, his lack of experience, and yes, arguably his naivety as well (just look at how earnestly he teams up with Luthor and even Lobo, the latter whom he knows is a bounty hunter with a contract to kill him!

At the same time, while this Superman can't save the day all on his own (and arguably he doesn't really save it at all if you assume that Parasite headed for the nuclear reactor just in a mad bid for more power rather than to sacrifice himself to stop the explosion), he's clearly no pushover. He's a strong man, both physically and in terms of his determination. He's someone who's ready to fight, but who's also ready to appeal. He's someone who's convinced that good can thrive in this world, and all he needs to do is push it through forcefully enough, by word and by deed. There is a naivety in his thoughts and his actions, but its the kind of naivety a dark and cynical world could perhaps do with and which, over time, could give way to wisdom and a more mature optimism.

I LOVED Lois Lane in this one. Again, they really sold me on this being a 'young' Lois (albeit, seemingly a bit older and more experienced than Clark) who's just starting to make her mark. Its interesting that Lois takes down Luthor and makes an enemy of him even before Superman is in the picture...I wonder if moving forward Luthor becomes more of a Lois enemy in this continuity than a Superman one. And I loved the pep talk she gave Clark, and the look she gave him leads me to believe that Lois might actually know...if you know what I mean?

The Kents were great as well. I loved Pa Kent's line about how Clark is a grown-up now and he needs to make his own decisions. I love the idea that this is a Clark who doesn't become Superman because a hologram of Jor-El told him so or because his adoptive parents spent his entire childhood mentally preparing him to become a superhero of some sort. I like the idea that he just wants to use his powers to help where he can, and then when his existence is revealed, he decides to try and be a positive representative for aliens and superhumans.

Lobo was just a THRILL! Nuff said! Lex was interesting too...it seemed that he could almost be reformed by the end of the film, until he decides to turn on Superman at the end. Wonder what became of Lobo's kryptonite ring? I guess Lex will get his hands on it eventually? Or it falls into Batman's hands...?

By the way, I kinda found the Batman reference neat, mainly because it was a kind of reference to the early TAS episode where Martha talks about the ''nut in Gotham City''...except here she has a more positive opinion of Batman, seemingly. Also, American Alien had Clark literally use Batman's cape as part of his proto-suit, so its likely a nod to that. I'm generally okay with Batman predating Superman in-universe...I think it makes more sense for Batman and it doesn't take away anything from Superman, so this worked for me.

That said, I loved that J'onn J'onzz is the first other hero Clark teams up with. Hell, I think this is the first significant role J'onn has played in these movies in forever - he was virtually given glorified cameos all through the New 52 era films. I do hope his role here means that J'onn will be a more crucial character in this new continuity moving forward. His being at the Kent farm reminded me of the old JLU Christmas episode. And it makes perfect sense for him to be a mentor to Clark, especially when it comes to dealing with his alien heritage and humanity's reaction to it. They also did a GREAT job depicting J'onn's powers and making them distinct from Superman's.

Last but not the least, a bit about the design - I frankly LOVE it. It feels both modern as well as old-school...Lex in particular wouldn't feel out of place in a Superfriends episode or a Silver Age comics panel. Love the look of Metropolis, Superman's kinda retro-looking suit design and the bright colors in general.

On the whole, a great start to a brave and bold new era in the DC animated line. I'm looking forward to seeing where they go next with Superman in particular. I'm guessing a Brainiac story might be in the offing. Possibly an appearance by Supergirl as well? Both these characters were missing in the New 52 continuity so it'd be great to see them...especially since they'd fit in perfectly with the kind of neo-Silver Age vibe they seem to be going for here.
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    SO...I finally got around to watching Man of Tomorrow as part of my recent catch-up with the DC Animated Original Movies line. And boy, it sure didn't disappoint!

spoilers:

You can definitely see the DNA of American Alien here, specifically the last two issues in Metropolis, but that apart, this is a fairly original story.

This movie sells me on the idea that this is a 'young' Superman better than almost any story across media (Morrison's New 52 run, AA and possibly Miller's Year One being the exceptions of course). Usually, when we get a 'beginner' Superman, he's not depicted as being particularly different from the more established Superman we're all used to. He's the same guy, except he's doing all this for the first time. But this movie really sells us on Clark's almost boyish optimism and enthusiasm, his lack of experience, and yes, arguably his naivety as well (just look at how earnestly he teams up with Luthor and even Lobo, the latter whom he knows is a bounty hunter with a contract to kill him!

At the same time, while this Superman can't save the day all on his own (and arguably he doesn't really save it at all if you assume that Parasite headed for the nuclear reactor just in a mad bid for more power rather than to sacrifice himself to stop the explosion), he's clearly no pushover. He's a strong man, both physically and in terms of his determination. He's someone who's ready to fight, but who's also ready to appeal. He's someone who's convinced that good can thrive in this world, and all he needs to do is push it through forcefully enough, by word and by deed. There is a naivety in his thoughts and his actions, but its the kind of naivety a dark and cynical world could perhaps do with and which, over time, could give way to wisdom and a more mature optimism.

I LOVED Lois Lane in this one. Again, they really sold me on this being a 'young' Lois (albeit, seemingly a bit older and more experienced than Clark) who's just starting to make her mark. Its interesting that Lois takes down Luthor and makes an enemy of him even before Superman is in the picture...I wonder if moving forward Luthor becomes more of a Lois enemy in this continuity than a Superman one. And I loved the pep talk she gave Clark, and the look she gave him leads me to believe that Lois might actually know...if you know what I mean?

The Kents were great as well. I loved Pa Kent's line about how Clark is a grown-up now and he needs to make his own decisions. I love the idea that this is a Clark who doesn't become Superman because a hologram of Jor-El told him so or because his adoptive parents spent his entire childhood mentally preparing him to become a superhero of some sort. I like the idea that he just wants to use his powers to help where he can, and then when his existence is revealed, he decides to try and be a positive representative for aliens and superhumans.

Lobo was just a THRILL! Nuff said! Lex was interesting too...it seemed that he could almost be reformed by the end of the film, until he decides to turn on Superman at the end. Wonder what became of Lobo's kryptonite ring? I guess Lex will get his hands on it eventually? Or it falls into Batman's hands...?

By the way, I kinda found the Batman reference neat, mainly because it was a kind of reference to the early TAS episode where Martha talks about the ''nut in Gotham City''...except here she has a more positive opinion of Batman, seemingly. Also, American Alien had Clark literally use Batman's cape as part of his proto-suit, so its likely a nod to that. I'm generally okay with Batman predating Superman in-universe...I think it makes more sense for Batman and it doesn't take away anything from Superman, so this worked for me.

That said, I loved that J'onn J'onzz is the first other hero Clark teams up with. Hell, I think this is the first significant role J'onn has played in these movies in forever - he was virtually given glorified cameos all through the New 52 era films. I do hope his role here means that J'onn will be a more crucial character in this new continuity moving forward. His being at the Kent farm reminded me of the old JLU Christmas episode. And it makes perfect sense for him to be a mentor to Clark, especially when it comes to dealing with his alien heritage and humanity's reaction to it. They also did a GREAT job depicting J'onn's powers and making them distinct from Superman's.

Last but not the least, a bit about the design - I frankly LOVE it. It feels both modern as well as old-school...Lex in particular wouldn't feel out of place in a Superfriends episode or a Silver Age comics panel. Love the look of Metropolis, Superman's kinda retro-looking suit design and the bright colors in general.

On the whole, a great start to a brave and bold new era in the DC animated line. I'm looking forward to seeing where they go next with Superman in particular. I'm guessing a Brainiac story might be in the offing. Possibly an appearance by Supergirl as well? Both these characters were missing in the New 52 continuity so it'd be great to see them...especially since they'd fit in perfectly with the kind of neo-Silver Age vibe they seem to be going for here.
    end of spoilers
    Check out JSA: WWII if you want to see where they’re going next. Also looks like The Long Halloween is in the same shared universe as well.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Check out JSA: WWII if you want to see where they’re going next. Also looks like The Long Halloween is in the same shared universe as well.
    Yeah...honestly if anything I expect to enjoy those even more!

I kinda like the direction they're heading with as far as this new universe is concerned. The previous universe was basically the New 52, with a bit of Rebirth and Post-Crisis thrown in at the end. I feel this new universe is going a bit more retro and old-school overall.

BANNED

I think they are heading into either infinite crisis or infinite frontier

Both make sense given certain developments in justice society

spoilers:

end of spoilers
    Well, Brainiac doesn't seem all that likely...
    spoilers:
    He gets taken out easy as a rando villain in the JSA movie - basically Scarecrow in The Dark Knight level throwaway.
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Also looks like The Long Halloween is in the same shared universe as well.
    You don't have to remind me...

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

I will not ever accept the bullshit historical revisionism of "Batman came first."

**** that noise. He was created to cash in on Superman's success. Either accept that Clark came first or stop trying to make it some dick measuring contest about "but Bruce tho."

For ****'s sake, having Superman portrayed as ripping off Batman's style is full-on braindead.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    I will not ever accept the bullshit historical revisionism of "Batman came first."

**** that noise. He was created to cash in on Superman's success. Either accept that Clark came first or stop trying to make it some dick measuring contest about "but Bruce tho."

For ****'s sake, having Superman portrayed as ripping off Batman's style is full-on braindead.
    Well, its a nod to American Alien where Clark literally used Batman's cape as part of his proto-suit.

In general, I'm not in favor of Superman 'ripping off' Batman's style. But I have no problem with Batman coming first, and frankly, that's my preferred headcanon.

I do prefer Superman to be the first superhero who goes public in the modern era though. I'm okay with stuff like Hal operating as GL in space a bit earlier or Arthur secretely saving people as the mythical Aquaman. But when Superman shows up that's the first time the world is exposed to a God-like being who can fly in at least a generation.

Unfortunately that doesn't seem to be the case in this 'verse spoilers:
    since it seems Barry has been active as the Flash for a few years already in JSA: World War II. Unless we assume a much longer gap between Man of Tomorrow and that film.
    end of spoilers

Well, its a nod to American Alien where Clark literally used Batman's cape as part of his proto-suit.

In general, I'm not in favor of Superman 'ripping off' Batman's style. But I have no problem with Batman coming first, and frankly, that's my preferred headcanon.

I do prefer Superman to be the first superhero who goes public in the modern era though. I'm okay with stuff like Hal operating as GL in space a bit earlier or Arthur secretely saving people as the mythical Aquaman. But when Superman shows up that's the first time the world is exposed to a God-like being who can fly in at least a generation.

Unfortunately that doesn't seem to be the case in this 'verse spoilers:
    since it seems Barry has been active as the Flash for a few years already in JSA: World War II. Unless we assume a much longer gap between Man of Tomorrow and that film.
    end of spoilers
    The vibe I got is that Superman predates this Barry and we're an unspecified time ahead of Man of Tomorrow.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    The vibe I got is that Superman predates this Barry and we're an unspecified time ahead of Man of Tomorrow.
    Doesn't seem likely. Its mentioned a couple of times that Barry has had his powers for years, and Iris seems to have been aware of his double-life for years as well.

Superman doesn't seem a whole lot more experienced than he was in Man of Tomorrow. He still seems a bit like a kid starting out. I can imagine him having been Superman for around a year or so, maybe a bit more...which roughly matches the release dates. He certainly doesn't seem like he's been doing it for years.

In Man of Tomorrow, super-speed is mentioned as being something people are already aware of. STAR Labs is apparently studying to find ways to neutralize superhumans. So it does make sense in that context that the Flash was already around.

Doesn't seem likely. Its mentioned a couple of times that Barry has had his powers for years, and Iris seems to have been aware of his double-life for years as well.

Superman doesn't seem a whole lot more experienced than he was in Man of Tomorrow. He still seems a bit like a kid starting out. I can imagine him having been Superman for around a year or so, maybe a bit more...which roughly matches the release dates. He certainly doesn't seem like he's been doing it for years.

In Man of Tomorrow, super-speed is mentioned as being something people are already aware of. STAR Labs is apparently studying to find ways to neutralize superhumans. So it does make sense in that context that the Flash was already around.
    Very well possible. I watched it very late into the night and my memory is a bit hazy. That's what happens when you have Aquaman become a Nazi puppet. It drowns out the smaller details in memory.