Page 1 of 63 123451151 ... LastLast

Default Superman: Red Son and Superman: Man of Tomorrow Animated Feature Films

2020 will see the release of two new Superman Animated Feature Films.

Superman: Red Son
    , adapting the popular Mark Millar Elseworlds novel about a Superman raised in Communist Russia, as well as Superman: Man of Tomorrow, a standalone film focused on a younger Superman early in his career.

Please God keep Bruce Timm away from both of these because otherwise this is the best ******* news I’ve heard in a long time. Is it too much to hope Man of Tomorrow will be an adaption of Grant Morrison’s run? Because that’s what I’m hoping for.
    Last edited by Vordan; 07-19-2019 at 09:46 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    2020 will see the release of two new Superman Animated Feature Films.

Superman: Red Son
    , adapting the popular Mark Millar Elseworlds novel about a Superman raised in Communist Russia, as well as Superman: Man of Tomorrow, a standalone film focused on a younger Superman early in his career.
    They just achieved universally positive reviews with Jerry and Rebecca playing Rebirth inspired roles that seem to be setting up a fresh future so it makes complete sense to backpedal completely....dump them....and do a cynical AU and an origin story.

Did I say makes sense? Oh my bad. I meant... what a stupid thing to do lacking any and all creative synergy.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Please God keep Bruce Timm away from both of these because otherwise this is the best ******* news I’ve heard in a long time. Is it too much to hope Man of Tomorrow will be Ana adaption of Grant Morrison’s run? Because that’s what I’m hoping for.
    I think Timm will probably be on Red Son, if only because he's headlined the other Elseworlds films.

I'm really curious what they're going to do with Man of Tomorrow. Like, will it be it's own thing or a prequel movie for Jerry O'Connel's Supes?

Superfan Through The Ages BBally's Avatar

I would like to see them adapt some Maggin stories like Last Son Of Krypton and Miracle Monday
    No matter how many reboots, new origins, reinterpretations or suit redesigns. In the end, he will always be SUPERMAN

Credit for avatar goes to zclark

A streamlined adaptation of Morrison's first arc on Action would be awesome, minus all the time imp and what not. But it states it's a completely original story:

Unlike Red Son, Man of Tomorrow will be a fully original story featuring a young Superman early in his career

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Please God keep Bruce Timm away from both of these because otherwise this is the best ******* news I’ve heard in a long time. Is it too much to hope Man of Tomorrow will be Ana adaption of Grant Morrison’s run? Because that’s what I’m hoping for.
    Word to this. Man of Tomorrow sounds exactly up my alley so I'll be gutted if Timm has anything to do with it.

Also hoping for some heavy Action Vol 2. inspiration but if its an original who knows there. It'd be nice to get a different animation style too for that reason I'm rather hoping its disconnected from the current AU, as that has a distinctive style always followed. I don't dislike it, just like things shaken up once in a while.

I'll be honest; I never read Red Son. It just happened to be an Elseworlds that passed me by at the time and I never rectified it outside of looking up summaries and scans online. Always down for Elseworlds though.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 07-19-2019 at 09:49 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think Timm will probably be on Red Son, if only because he's headlined the other Elseworlds films.

I'm really curious what they're going to do with Man of Tomorrow. Like, will it be it's own thing or a prequel movie for Jerry O'Connel's Supes?
    See Timm to me is the worst possible choice for Red Son. He always portrays Superman as both an ******* and an idiot, ESPECIALLY when Batman is involved. What separates Red Son from other “evil Supermen” stories is that while Red Son Superman is a dictator he is brilliant, smarter than Batman and only second to Luthor, and he is compassionate. He cares deeply for other people even doing messed up stuff like the Superman Robots because he refuses to kill. My fear is that Timm is going to totally botch that and just portray him as a evil moron who gets beaten up by Batman and Luthor.

Hell if Timm is involved he'll probably expand Batman's role. I'm just done with him on anything Superman related.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 07-19-2019 at 10:11 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nelliebly View Post
    They just achieved universally positive reviews with Jerry and Rebecca playing Rebirth inspired roles that seem to be setting up a fresh future so it makes complete sense to backpedal completely....dump them....and do a cynical AU and an origin story.

Did I say makes sense? Oh my bad. I meant... what a stupid thing to do lacking any and all creative synergy.
    They've been doing movies outside that 'shared universe' for as long as they've had said universe.
    Buh-bye

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Oh damn, are they actually gonna do some sort of version of Morrison's first arc? Or more likely something inspired by it? Like, can I really sit here and hope?

Also shoutouts to two Superman movies on deck.

Edit: Thinking on it a bit, and I can't really think of too many of the new DCAU movies that are billed as a "fully original story." There are a few, but it's quite rare, so this'll be interesting.
    Last edited by Superlad93; 07-19-2019 at 10:52 PM.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    Oh damn, are they actually gonna do some sort of version of Morrison's first arc? Or more likely something inspired by it? Like, can I really sit here and hope?

Also shoutouts to two Superman movies on deck.

Edit: Thinking on it a bit, and I can't really think of too many of the new DCAU movies that are billed as a "fully original story." There are a few, but it's quite rare, so this'll be interesting.
    I’m hoping they’re at least taking from Morrison’s work, but honestly I’d be content with another Superman movie featuring him not dying at this point lol. I do hope he’s not fighting Lex though, I hope it’s someone else.

Red Son was an average story arc but I'm curious what Man of Tomorrow will bring. My first association was For Tomorrow but hoping to high heavens that's not anywhere close to where they are drawing from for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nelliebly View Post

Universally positive? Death of Superman was divisive at best and Reign of the Supermen ended up doing even worse than that. I'm still laughing at all those people who shat on Superman: Doomsday, saying that those two films would do that godawful story arc justice and they ended up changing it up even more.
    "If you're afraid - don't do it - and if you're doing it - don't be afraid!" - Genghis Khan

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The Red Monk View Post
    Red Son was an average story arc but I'm curious what Man of Tomorrow will bring. My first association was For Tomorrow but hoping to high heavens that's not anywhere close to where they are drawing from for it.

Universally positive? Death of Superman was divisive at best and Reign of the Supermen ended up doing even worse than that. I'm still laughing at all those people who shat on Superman: Doomsday, saying that those two films would do that godawful story arc justice and they ended up changing it up even more.
    I personally like Superman: Doomsday a lot but Death or Superman was, as I recall, one of their most financially successful animated films in quite a while and outside of the 20 people who post on this board was very well received and well reviewed.

Awesome news! Hope Red Son has a different art and character design to standout from the others. The animation in general also really needs to step up, imo; Death of Superman, as great as it was for me (and many people it seems), could have been even better with better graphics. DC and WB need to do a better job if they want to compete. I wonder if it's going to be a faithful adaptation..

Superman: Man of Tomorrow also sounds great and fresh. I suppose Clark and Lois are going to meet or something. Their interaction could be fun and sweet. Hope it's a great story.