Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
On the one hand, I look at Death and Reign and I see that the former was a far superior movie. In that sense, I'm glad that I'm glad Death murdered (no pun intended) Reign in sales; the proportional difference in sales reflects how much better I thought Death was.

On the other hand, Reign was a movie I had higher hopes for. It was a more ambitious film that filled a void in Superman adaptations that Death had been beaten like a dead horse (pun probably intended). It also probably sends the message to WB that whenever they hit a lull in Superman DTV movie sales, they can go back to the "Death of Superman" storyline every 10 years or so, and the consuming public will be OK with it. No matter how annoyed I was that they told another DoS storyline (which is getting up there with "With great power comes great responsibility" and Martha Wayne's pearls) and some of the plot beats it rehashed, Reign was far less satisfying to watch.

Regarding the New 52 Morrison run, there are also aspects of it that I felt were too jumbled and too... Morrison. But like All-Star Superman, if adapted, the Morrison arc would be simplified and distilled to the basic points that broader audiences can enjoy, most notably the characterization of social crusader Supes.
I enjoyed Death and Reign a lot together, personally .