Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Superman: Red Son and Superman: Man of Tomorrow Animated Feature Films

2020 will see the release of two new Superman Animated Feature Films.

Superman: Red Son
    , adapting the popular Mark Millar Elseworlds novel about a Superman raised in Communist Russia, as well as Superman: Man of Tomorrow, a standalone film focused on a younger Superman early in his career.

Please God keep Bruce Timm away from both of these because otherwise this is the best ******* news I’ve heard in a long time. Is it too much to hope Man of Tomorrow will be an adaption of Grant Morrison’s run? Because that’s what I’m hoping for.
    Last edited by Vordan; 07-19-2019 at 09:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Please God keep Bruce Timm away from both of these because otherwise this is the best ******* news I’ve heard in a long time. Is it too much to hope Man of Tomorrow will be Ana adaption of Grant Morrison’s run? Because that’s what I’m hoping for.
    I think Timm will probably be on Red Son, if only because he's headlined the other Elseworlds films.

I'm really curious what they're going to do with Man of Tomorrow. Like, will it be it's own thing or a prequel movie for Jerry O'Connel's Supes?

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think Timm will probably be on Red Son, if only because he's headlined the other Elseworlds films.

I'm really curious what they're going to do with Man of Tomorrow. Like, will it be it's own thing or a prequel movie for Jerry O'Connel's Supes?
    See Timm to me is the worst possible choice for Red Son. He always portrays Superman as both an ******* and an idiot, ESPECIALLY when Batman is involved. What separates Red Son from other “evil Supermen” stories is that while Red Son Superman is a dictator he is brilliant, smarter than Batman and only second to Luthor, and he is compassionate. He cares deeply for other people even doing messed up stuff like the Superman Robots because he refuses to kill. My fear is that Timm is going to totally botch that and just portray him as a evil moron who gets beaten up by Batman and Luthor.

Hell if Timm is involved he'll probably expand Batman's role. I'm just done with him on anything Superman related.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 07-19-2019 at 10:11 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Please God keep Bruce Timm away from both of these because otherwise this is the best ******* news I’ve heard in a long time. Is it too much to hope Man of Tomorrow will be Ana adaption of Grant Morrison’s run? Because that’s what I’m hoping for.
    Word to this. Man of Tomorrow sounds exactly up my alley so I'll be gutted if Timm has anything to do with it.

Also hoping for some heavy Action Vol 2. inspiration but if its an original who knows there. It'd be nice to get a different animation style too for that reason I'm rather hoping its disconnected from the current AU, as that has a distinctive style always followed. I don't dislike it, just like things shaken up once in a while.

I'll be honest; I never read Red Son. It just happened to be an Elseworlds that passed me by at the time and I never rectified it outside of looking up summaries and scans online. Always down for Elseworlds though.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 07-19-2019 at 09:49 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Please God keep Bruce Timm away from both of these because otherwise this is the best ******* news I’ve heard in a long time. Is it too much to hope Man of Tomorrow will be an adaption of Grant Morrison’s run? Because that’s what I’m hoping for.
    Quoted for truth.

My thoughts and feelings exactly.

Red Son could be tricky to pull off. They’ll have to nail the tone set by Millar and not try to ape Injustice. As others have already stated, Red Son Superman wasn’t a villain. He was helping to make the world a better place even in a totalitarian system.

This story could be interesting if done right considering our current political climate. But again, it could go horribly wrong if not adapted well.

That would absolutely amazing!

I think there are a number of great “Superman: Year One” stories to draw inspiration from. Grant’s version is my all time favorite but theres Byrne’s classic run and the more recent Man and Superman by Marv Wolfman which was also really good. Stories of Superman struggling to find his place in the world and dealing with self doubt before finally becoming the Man of Tomorrow we know and love. I just hope they get Rain Wilson to reprise his role as Luthor. He had the perfect mix of arrogant douche and science geek and nailed Lex.
    Last edited by Robotman; 07-21-2019 at 09:03 AM.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

If bruce timm is directing it i hope he sticks to the source material. Then, i feel it will be fine.
    As for the origin story, i want some birthright or American alien being adapted or taken as inspiration.
    Morrison's action is great an all but i feel it will get too serious.since, i don't trust them with it. They will try to make it too edgy. These needs to bring in money as well. Edginess might be ditraction. That how i feel.with birthright or American alien you don't run into that risk. It can be funny and have alot of heart.

You know I’m feeling much more optimistic about the 2020s treating Superman right. The 2010s has been a really rough time to be a Superman fan, but having two animated movies to kick off the new decade has me feeling more hopeful about Superman than I have in a long time. Young Justice S4 might have the Supersons, Titans S2 is giving us Lex, Kon, and maybe Clark too, and hopefully WB will get going on the Superman reboot soon. I’m feeling pretty upbeat.
    Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    If bruce timm is directing it i hope he sticks to the source material. Then, i feel it will be fine.
    As for the origin story, i want some birthright or American alien being adapted or taken as inspiration.
    Morrison's action is great an all but i feel it will get too serious.since, i don't trust them with it. They will try to make it too edgy. These needs to bring in money as well. Edginess might be ditraction. That how i feel.with birthright or American alien you don't run into that risk. It can be funny and have alot of heart.
    Man I love American Alien but I don’t know if DC will even touch the material after all the Landis controversy.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

You know I’m feeling much more optimistic about the 2020s treating Superman right. The 2010s has been a really rough time to be a Superman fan, but having two animated movies to kick off the new decade has me feeling more hopeful about Superman than I have in a long time. Young Justice S4 might have the Supersons, Titans S2 is giving us Lex, Kon, and maybe Clark too, and hopefully WB will get going on the Superman reboot soon. I’m feeling pretty upbeat.

Man I love American Alien but I don’t know if DC will even touch the material after all the Landis controversy.
    Its just scenes. they can make changes. They might not even need to credit him. They basically did suicide scene in jldoom without mentioning any of comics writers.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    2020 will see the release of two new Superman Animated Feature Films.

Superman: Red Son
    , adapting the popular Mark Millar Elseworlds novel about a Superman raised in Communist Russia, as well as Superman: Man of Tomorrow, a standalone film focused on a younger Superman early in his career.
    They just achieved universally positive reviews with Jerry and Rebecca playing Rebirth inspired roles that seem to be setting up a fresh future so it makes complete sense to backpedal completely....dump them....and do a cynical AU and an origin story.

Did I say makes sense? Oh my bad. I meant... what a stupid thing to do lacking any and all creative synergy.

Superfan Through The Ages BBally's Avatar

I would like to see them adapt some Maggin stories like Last Son Of Krypton and Miracle Monday
    No matter how many reboots, new origins, reinterpretations or suit redesigns. In the end, he will always be SUPERMAN

Credit for avatar goes to zclark

A streamlined adaptation of Morrison's first arc on Action would be awesome, minus all the time imp and what not. But it states it's a completely original story:

Unlike Red Son, Man of Tomorrow will be a fully original story featuring a young Superman early in his career

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nelliebly View Post
    They just achieved universally positive reviews with Jerry and Rebecca playing Rebirth inspired roles that seem to be setting up a fresh future so it makes complete sense to backpedal completely....dump them....and do a cynical AU and an origin story.

Did I say makes sense? Oh my bad. I meant... what a stupid thing to do lacking any and all creative synergy.
    They've been doing movies outside that 'shared universe' for as long as they've had said universe.
    Buh-bye