Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Default Netflix's Jupiter's Legacy

I was genuinely surprised by Millar & Quitely's comic back in the day. I'd grown tired of Millar's shtick by that point, but he really upped his game thanks to Quitely and seemed to have something to say about Superman and superheroes in general with this series. I think the comics delivered diminishing returns as the series continued, but I still held out hope that the Netflix adaptation might be able to reshape it into something better--which has been the case for several adaptations of Millar's comics.

However, I can't say I was particularly impressed with the first episode. I probably shouldn't have been surprised as it was written by Steven DeKnight, who had previously managed to bore me stupid with both the Netflix Daredevil show and the Pacific Rim sequel.

What was truly disappointing is that there wasn't even a single noteworthy action sequence in the first episode. I figured, at the very least, they'd make sure they delivered some eye-candy to grab audiences out of the gate. Nope. All we got was a fairly limp battle between their Mongul-knockoff and their JLA-knockoff.

Of course, the lesson Hollywood learns from this will be that Superman is boring unless he's evil.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    Of course, the lesson Hollywood learns from this will be that Superman is boring unless he's evil.
    So long as Superman & Lois continues to do well, it will act as the silver bullet in that theory for a little while longer. Say what you will about Superdad, in the time of The Boys, Invincible, Injustice and premonitions in Zack Snyder's Justice League, Superdad is the one Superman in multimedia towing the line that absolute power need not corrupt absolutely... except for the Captain Luthor and doppelganger Superman. Well, ****!

Knowing someone responsible for butchering Pacific Rim with that sequel is involved just vindicates my decision to skip this one.

Spectacular Member Kara Danvers's Avatar

Everyone I know says it's boring and the only thing some of them complimented were the costumes.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    So long as Superman & Lois continues to do well, it will act as the silver bullet in that theory for a little while longer. Say what you will about Superdad, in the time of The Boys, Invincible, Injustice and premonitions in Zack Snyder's Justice League, Superdad is the one Superman in multimedia towing the line that absolute power need not corrupt absolutely... except for the Captain Luthor and doppelganger Superman. Well, ****! .
    Embrace the joy of Superdad:

Quote Originally Posted by Kara Danvers View Post
    Everyone I know says it's boring and the only thing some of them complimented were the costumes.
    The costumes did look good...

I will say the same thing I said in the other thread. It has slower pace than other stuff and that is okay but it leans to much on the future to interesting and not current stuff they are telling. It is an average show and it feels like one of those cinematic universe or ya adult projects that they try to start but instead of going all to tell the most interesting story they can they hold things back to be interesting.

Now for the Superman part of the equation they do a good job of talking up "the Code" which is don't kill ever and don't interfere in governments. The bad part is they don't focus on enough on why Code is a good thing and makes too much look like it is something just in place to stroke Utopians ego. To be clear I am superhero should kill as option person and to me it felt a little heavy handed the show is forcing that the Code wasn't working. What did like is how they present how much of sitting duck following the code made the heroes in the story and that is always my argument for lethal force, If the other side is trying to kill and has ability to kill you then killing enemy is option. But overall it was little heavy hand for example the supervillain clearly killed 2 superheroes and look like he was going to kill superman figure Utopian and Utopian son jumps in and kills the bad guy. And the Superman figure spazs out on his son like his choice did not make sense in that moment. There was a better way to execute that scene that does make Superman character imo look so bad. To me you can't be screaming "there always another way" when Supervillain is lopping off the head of heroes in the fight.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    So long as Superman & Lois continues to do well, it will act as the silver bullet in that theory for a little while longer. Say what you will about Superdad, in the time of The Boys, Invincible, Injustice and premonitions in Zack Snyder's Justice League, Superdad is the one Superman in multimedia towing the line that absolute power need not corrupt absolutely... except for the Captain Luthor and doppelganger Superman. Well, ****!

Knowing someone responsible for butchering Pacific Rim with that sequel is involved just vindicates my decision to skip this one.
    Literally every review has compared the show unfavorably to Superman and Lois which is hilarious given the fact that Mark Millar spent most of his career being as misogynistic as possible to Lois Lane as a concept and character and now his edge lord fanfic is being compared to the show that actually stars her and it’s not coming out in Millar’s favor at all.

Poetic justice. LOL

I enjoyed the comic, but it felt like a basic “what if the edgy 90s antiheroes had won the Kingdom Come fight?” in a lot of respects. Utopian not being evil so much as outdated and unable to adjust to the world changing feels like it could be much more interesting than it is, since spoilers:
    his brother and son are just evil once they turn on and kill him with zero nuance whatsoever. So any points they have to make are pretty much null and voided.
    end of spoilers. This show came at a bad time since the Boys do a better job deconstructing heroes in terms of morals while Invincible does a better job deconstructing the idea of a heroic legacy and the next gen taking over. Then you’ve got S&L which does a far better job of dealing with Superman raising a family and how they cope with the weight of his legacy.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

The flashbacks are pretty good, the show would be a lot better if it took place only in the past.

I've only watched the first episode and wasn't that impressed. Should I completely skip the series or are there any standout moments that I should check out? I've read the comics, so I don't have to worry about anything being spoiled.

Agreed with everyone that Superman & Lois has ended up making this show feel kinda old hat.

I've only watched the first episode and wasn't that impressed. Should I completely skip the series or are there any standout moments that I should check out? I've read the comics, so I don't have to worry about anything being spoiled.

Agreed with everyone that Superman & Lois has ended up making this show feel kinda old hat.
    I binged watched the whole thing yesterday and while it have some good performances, the 1929 stuff is pretty well done and Leslie Bibb is in it, it' isn't a show I would sell to anyone like I did with Invincible. Sure if you have time and is looking for something to watch, go for it, the pilot isn't the best episode by far.

Quote Originally Posted by Ra-El View Post
    I binged watched the whole thing yesterday and while it have some good performances, the 1929 stuff is pretty well done and Leslie Bibb is in it, it' isn't a show I would sell to anyone like I did with Invincible. Sure if you have time and is looking for something to watch, go for it, the pilot isn't the best episode by far.
    I have no interest in slogging through the whole series. Are there any episodes that I should check out?

I have no interest in slogging through the whole series. Are there any episodes that I should check out?
    You should watch whole thing is not that bad as comic fan but watching 7, 8 or just 8 and you should be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    You should watch whole thing is not that bad as comic fan but watching 7, 8 or just 8 and you should be fine.
    Thanks, I will check out episodes 7 & 8.

All-New Member

Started pretty well, but, wow, just a terrible Hollywood cliche show. Boring PC s*it superheroes.

I try not to judge things until I have seen them for myself. But I was already burnt out on seeing Evil Supermen and Justice League knock-offs.
    In sure there’s more the the characters than just that, but I have not desire to see the show anytime soon...