Page 2 of 63 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    See Timm to me is the worst possible choice for Red Son. He always portrays Superman as both an ******* and an idiot, ESPECIALLY when Batman is involved. What separates Red Son from other “evil Supermen” stories is that while Red Son Superman is a dictator he is brilliant, smarter than Batman and only second to Luthor, and he is compassionate. He cares deeply for other people even doing messed up stuff like the Superman Robots because he refuses to kill. My fear is that Timm is going to totally botch that and just portray him as a evil moron who gets beaten up by Batman and Luthor.
    I mean, as an adaption I would like to think Timm would try to stay true to the source material even if it's not like his usual handling of Superman.

I think it'll also depend on who the screenwriter is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    Edit: Thinking on it a bit, and I can't really think of too many of the new DCAU movies that are billed as a "fully original story." There are a few, but it's quite rare, so this'll be interesting.
    I believe Wonder Woman: Bloodlines was advertised the same way, and that's also an in-continuity movie and seems to be taking cues from Greg Rucka and George Perez's Wonder Woman work.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    I’m hoping they’re at least taking from Morrison’s work, but honestly I’d be content with another Superman movie featuring him not dying at this point lol. I do hope he’s not fighting Lex though, I hope it’s someone else.
    I could see Brainaic being the main villain like he was for Morrison's first Action arc.

I'm not sure if this is relevant or not but Brainiac was originally going to be one of the holograms Superman fought in that sequence with Wonder Woman in Death before they replaced him with Metallo (I think). So conceptually in the back of their mind they might have envisioned that this Superman had once fought Brainaic.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nelliebly View Post
    They just achieved universally positive reviews with Jerry and Rebecca playing Rebirth inspired roles that seem to be setting up a fresh future so it makes complete sense to backpedal completely....dump them....and do a cynical AU and an origin story.
    I don't see how Red Son is cynical; it shows Superman trying his best to achieve a utopian world in the interests of the people and being mostly successful. But because of the authoritarian system's inherent flaws he retires and the world flourishes for centuries. I guess it has Earth blows up in the far future but for Superman and the people around him it's mostly a happy ending.

This is why people like Red Son more than trash like Injustice, because Superman isn't a villain or evil in the story and it isn't dystopian for the sake of it.

The main AU isn't going away anyway. Its continuing in Hush. This seems to be the pattern now, main AU stories told through the lens of a main JL character, and standalone animated projects going on at the same time. Superman had his turn as the focus of a main AU project, and this time its Batman (of which Superman has a guest role). Next time it appears to be Wonder Woman with Bloodline, and so on. Itl'll probably come back around to a Superman centric story eventually. In the meantime plenty of room for Elseworlds stories to tell in between. Sounds like a pretty good set up to me.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 07-20-2019 at 10:24 AM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

All-New Member

I personally like Superman: Doomsday a lot but Death or Superman was, as I recall, one of their most financially successful animated films in quite a while and outside of the 20 people who post on this board was very well received and well reviewed.
    Death was a success but Reign of the Supermen flopped and both have average scores on IMDB.

Quote Originally Posted by Annie Parker View Post
    Death was a success but Reign of the Supermen flopped and both have average scores on IMDB.
    I wouldn't say it flopped. It did ok and was also released for "free" on DC Universe at the same time. And IMDB reviews are pretty much trash. It's at 93% on RT.
    Last edited by Yoda; 07-20-2019 at 10:40 AM.

Smile

How sweet it is. DC Animated Films are always top-notch. I'll be sure to buy a copy.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

I personally like Superman: Doomsday a lot but Death or Superman was, as I recall, one of their most financially successful animated films in quite a while and outside of the 20 people who post on this board was very well received and well reviewed.
    Death of Superman was a hit and very praised by most people I've seen everywhere. Other than here, I've only seen big love for it. I also really liked Superman: Doomsday and I'm pretty sure it was also a big financial hit.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_death_of_superman

Not sure what happened to Reign, but I think it probably wasn't as exciting and emotionally resonant as Death. It felt more predictable. Funny, we knew Superman would die in Death, but the story was so very well crafted and the action so visceral and it really hits you in the gut with emotion (so much more than his death in BvS, sadly).

DOS and Superman: Doomsday were successful, but less for the stories and more for the fact that they rehash a story that attracts filthy casuals (kidding!). Note that when they adapted fan favorite Superman stories like the aforementioned Death and All-Star, they had smashing successes. When they tried original stories or had to create a lot of original content, they didn't do so hot.

Timm doing a Superman adaptation doesn't speak to me as that we're going to get a bad movie, but that there are parts of the adaptation that probably will be disappointing next to the source material. The only content that he thought was necessary to adapt 100% was Miller Batman.

I see a young Superman story as ok. If it's clearly based on Morrison, it will probably do well. If it's an all-new story, well, good luck with that. I'll watch it, but who knows if the public will.

Quote Originally Posted by stargazer01 View Post
    Death of Superman was a hit and very praised by most people I've seen everywhere. Other than here, I've only seen big love for it. I also really liked Superman: Doomsday and I'm pretty sure it was also a big financial hit.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_death_of_superman

Not sure what happened to Reign, but I think it probably wasn't as exciting and emotionally resonant as Death. It felt more predictable. Funny, we knew Superman would die in Death, but the story was so very well crafted and the action so visceral and it really hits you in the gut with emotion (so much more than his death in BvS, sadly).
    The thing is, DoS in the comics is really straightforward, and frankly lacks in any large-scale characterization, plot, or nuance outside of the final panels of #75. So the film actually added to it. The source material allowed for improvements in a film version and this one delivered. Reign was different. In the comics Reign was the visceral story, strong plot, strong characterization. They couldn't fit that all into one more film so the motivations, characterizations and the general plot just fell short. It wasn't as fleshed out and felt rushed. The time alotted just didn't allow for much justice to be done and the source material for this one was so much stronger than the former, that its more heavily scrutinized.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 07-20-2019 at 11:16 AM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    The thing is, DoS in the comics is really straightforward, and frankly lacks in any large-scale characterization, plot, or nuance outside of the final panels of #75. So the film actually added to it. Reign was different. In the comics Reign was the visceral story, strong plot, strong characterization. They couldn't fit that all into one more film so the motivations, characterizations and the general plot just fell short. It wasn't as fleshed out and felt rushed.
    Although I think even with that limitation they got down the bare and important essentials of the Reign and Return story.

But that's just me.

Death of Superman did pretty well relative to the source material, Reign did not. I am still disappointed by the stupid-as-hell climactic battle sequence.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Although I think even with that limitation they got down the bare and important essentials of the Reign and Return story.

But that's just me.
    I think they did too, basically I just feel that Death lends more to a bare bones interpretation, because it was pretty bare bones itself (hence why that film had the opportunity and delivered on improving it), while Reign suffered more because just the essentials doesn't do that one nearly as much credit.

Hmm looks like Reign didn’t do that great in sales https://m.the-numbers.com/movie/Reig...upermen-(2019) and I can think of a couple of reasons for that:

1. Sheridan is not as good a scriptwriter as Tomasi
    2. This movie didn’t actually star Superman except for the ending sequence
    3. Most people might have watched it on DCU, will be interesting to see Hush sales
    4. They really should have made it a trilogy, Death, Reign, and Return, although now that we know the ending I guess I can see why they cut down on Reign

I still really liked the movie, and the fact that we are getting two Superman movies makes me think Reign did well on DCU. If it was a total flop we would not be getting two Superman movies. They should definitely be asking the comic book writers to help with the writing, I’d love to see Morrison himself write an animated Superman movie, or Tomasi again since he did such a good job imo with Death.

Or people revolted the long hair? My nephews had a sleepover of the other day and they found an old Superman model I had when I was a kid, this was a long-haired version. One of their responses was just "Ew." Lol.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

man of tomorrow sounds interesting, really excited for that one. Don't care for red son.