Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 54
  1. #31
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    41,571

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Hmm looks like Reign didn’t do that great in sales https://m.the-numbers.com/movie/Reig...upermen-(2019) and I can think of a couple of reasons for that:

    1. Sheridan is not as good a scriptwriter as Tomasi
    2. This movie didn’t actually star Superman except for the ending sequence
    3. Most people might have watched it on DCU, will be interesting to see Hush sales
    4. They really should have made it a trilogy, Death, Reign, and Return, although now that we know the ending I guess I can see why they cut down on Reign

    I still really liked the movie, and the fact that we are getting two Superman movies makes me think Reign did well on DCU. If it was a total flop we would not be getting two Superman movies. They should definitely be asking the comic book writers to help with the writing, I’d love to see Morrison himself write an animated Superman movie, or Tomasi again since he did such a good job imo with Death.
    I mean, 2 they couldn't really do anything about because that's how the story works.

    I'd like to think WB were prepared for 3 because that seems like the obvious impact from having them available to watch on DC Universe, so the incentive for more DCU subscribers and streaming numbers would offset the impact on physical sales.

    I wonder if Death/Reign had anything to do with it. I believe the animated movie team produce stuff well in advance, like several years in advance, so I'm not sure if they would have been aware of sales while producing the 2020 slate.

  2. #32
    Astonishing Member Vordan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    2,257

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I mean, 2 they couldn't really do anything about because that's how the story works.

    I'd like to think WB were prepared for 3 because that seems like the obvious impact from having them available to watch on DC Universe, so the incentive for more DCU subscribers and streaming numbers would offset the impact on physical sales.

    I wonder if Death/Reign had anything to do with it. I believe the animated movie team produce stuff well in advance, like several years in advance, so I'm not sure if they would have been aware of sales while producing the 2020 slate.
    DC went something like five years after the last Superman film (Unbound?) flopped before they made another Superman film. Iím doubtful that WB would have approved a year with TWO Superman films and 0 Batman films without some kind of data indicating these films could sell. Although I guess Batman will be in Red Son and JL Dark.

  3. #33
    Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    7,083

    Default

    First thought was just stopping and asking myself if there was already a Red Son movie. Guess not huh? I don't know why it's SO popular but that's cool. I'm much more likely to buy this upcoming original story though.
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

  4. #34
    Fantastic Member Eto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    324

    Default

    First off all, I'm on board regarding both films. The first one is a classic Elseworlds storyline. When I think of Superman Elseworlds, Red Son instantly pops up in my mind.

    The second film could be great as well, my only concern would be whether both films are set in the SAME universe or is the second one drifting apart (a.k.a. rebooting the "DCAU"?).

    Off-topic: Any plans for an animated Flash/Green Lantern Corps/JSA film? I would love to see those.
    Favourite DC heroes: Flash (Wally West), Red Hood (Jason Todd), Batman.

  5. #35
    Fantastic Member Eto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    324

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    First thought was just stopping and asking myself if there was already a Red Son movie. Guess not huh? I don't know why it's SO popular but that's cool. I'm much more likely to buy this upcoming original story though.
    Because it’s a great Elseworlds story?
    It’s something different, it’s not the conventional Superman, yet at the same time it’s true to its core.
    Favourite DC heroes: Flash (Wally West), Red Hood (Jason Todd), Batman.

  6. #36
    Astonishing Member Vordan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    2,257

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    First thought was just stopping and asking myself if there was already a Red Son movie. Guess not huh? I don't know why it's SO popular but that's cool. I'm much more likely to buy this upcoming original story though.
    Superman the All-American Hero ending up in Soviet Russia and fighting for communism? Frankly I’m shocked Millar was the first one to come up with the concept. And even though it’s very dark in spots it still manages to be true to who Superman is at his core while featuring over the top spectacle like President Lex Luthor vs. Soviet Superman. I get why people like it and I like it myself because it’s a Superman who is a supergenuis and doesn’t want to hold back while also not being an idiot edgelord like Injustice or Justice Lords. As weird as it is to say, Millar “gets” who Superman is and never loses sight of his core unlike other edgelord Dictator Superman takes which are more about glorifying Batman, Red Son definitely shows off how awesome Superman is regardless of what type of Supes he is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eto View Post
    First off all, I'm on board regarding both films. The first one is a classic Elseworlds storyline. When I think of Superman Elseworlds, Red Son instantly pops up in my mind.

    The second film could be great as well, my only concern would be whether both films are set in the SAME universe or is the second one drifting apart (a.k.a. rebooting the "DCAU"?).

    Off-topic: Any plans for an animated Flash/Green Lantern Corps/JSA film? I would love to see those.
    Frankly I don’t know why they haven’t made another Flash or GL movie either. Maybe WB still has hang-ups with GL over the live action GL movie flop? That ended up killing the GL:TAS too. Because otherwise the GL animated movies sold quite well. With Flash maybe because Barry hasn’t really had a great number of standalone stories? I’m really enjoying Willamson’s Rebirth run and wouldn’t mind seeing some of those storylines made into movies myself. Flash should definitely be getting another solo movie.
    Last edited by Vordan; 07-20-2019 at 03:42 PM.

  7. #37
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    41,571

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Frankly I don’t know why they haven’t made another Flash or GL movie either. Maybe WB still has hang-ups with GL over the live action GL movie flop? That ended up killing the GL:TAS too. Because otherwise the GL animated movies sold quite well. With Flash maybe because Barry hasn’t really had a great number of standalone stories? I’m really enjoying Willamson’s Rebirth run and wouldn’t mind seeing some of those storylines made into movies myself. Flash should definitely be getting another solo movie.
    I think the next major Leaguer I see getting a standalone movie is Aquaman because of the success of the movie.

    Or Shazam, if only to explain where he's been since Thrones of Atlantis.

  8. #38
    A Wearied Madness Vakanai's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,868

    Default

    Huh, I see I stand along in hoping Superman: Man of Tomorrow does not take inspiration from Morrison. Admittedly I only read vol. 1 of his Action Comics run, not the vol. 2 people keep mentioning, but lord was that vol. 1 confusing enough. Honestly most of Morrison's work I've read seems like it's intentionally trying to make you go, "What just happened? What's happening now?" But maybe that's just me. That said I'm definitely intrigued by the promise of an original story set early in his career, that's a time ripe for potential that we haven't seen much of outside of origin stories.

    And Red Son was just an amazing story, so if they manage to pull it off faithfully (fingers crossed) it should make for an amazing film.

  9. #39
    Ultimate Member Sacred Knight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    16,051

    Default

    Vol 2 indicates the entire New 52 Action Comics. Vol 2 being because it started the numbering over at #1. With Rebirth, since it went back to its originally numbering, its back to Vol. 1.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

    "Now why don't we step up here and everybody get stepped up, and let's get some stepped up personal space up in this place." - Phillip Jacobs

  10. #40
    A Wearied Madness Vakanai's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,868

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Vol 2 indicates the entire New 52 Action Comics. Vol 2 being because it started the numbering over at #1. With Rebirth, since it went back to its originally numbering, its back to Vol. 1.
    Either way it's still the story where Lex uses a bullet train against Superman and we get a very weird Brainiac and all in the origin story right?

  11. #41
    All-New Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    26

    Default

    The origin movie is not going to be inspired by the New 52. The New 52 was a trainwreck that fans hated and DC wants everyone to forget it ever happened.

  12. #42
    A Wearied Madness Vakanai's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,868

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Annie Parker View Post
    The origin movie is not going to be inspired by the New 52. The New 52 was a trainwreck that fans hated and DC wants everyone to forget it ever happened.
    Now you know that's not true, there were bright spots and fan favorites of that time that are going to be around for a long while. A lot of Snyder's run, like the Court of Owls, Batgirl's stint in Burnside and her costume of the time (which was the version she used in the Batman/TMNT movie), a lot of fans loved Morrison's Action Comics. There were things fans liked that will probably stick around in one form or another for a long while, and WB has shown no problem in reminding people that it happened.

  13. #43
    Ultimate Member Sacred Knight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    16,051

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Either way it's still the story where Lex uses a bullet train against Superman and we get a very weird Brainiac and all in the origin story right?
    Oh yeah, you have all that right. Just wanted to clear up any confusion about the volume talk.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

    "Now why don't we step up here and everybody get stepped up, and let's get some stepped up personal space up in this place." - Phillip Jacobs

  14. #44
    Astonishing Member DochaDocha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2,735

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Hmm looks like Reign didnít do that great in sales https://m.the-numbers.com/movie/Reig...upermen-(2019) and I can think of a couple of reasons for that:

    1. Sheridan is not as good a scriptwriter as Tomasi
    2. This movie didnít actually star Superman except for the ending sequence
    3. Most people might have watched it on DCU, will be interesting to see Hush sales
    4. They really should have made it a trilogy, Death, Reign, and Return, although now that we know the ending I guess I can see why they cut down on Reign

    I still really liked the movie, and the fact that we are getting two Superman movies makes me think Reign did well on DCU. If it was a total flop we would not be getting two Superman movies. They should definitely be asking the comic book writers to help with the writing, Iíd love to see Morrison himself write an animated Superman movie, or Tomasi again since he did such a good job imo with Death.
    On the one hand, I look at Death and Reign and I see that the former was a far superior movie. In that sense, I'm glad that I'm glad Death murdered (no pun intended) Reign in sales; the proportional difference in sales reflects how much better I thought Death was.

    On the other hand, Reign was a movie I had higher hopes for. It was a more ambitious film that filled a void in Superman adaptations that Death had been beaten like a dead horse (pun probably intended). It also probably sends the message to WB that whenever they hit a lull in Superman DTV movie sales, they can go back to the "Death of Superman" storyline every 10 years or so, and the consuming public will be OK with it. No matter how annoyed I was that they told another DoS storyline (which is getting up there with "With great power comes great responsibility" and Martha Wayne's pearls) and some of the plot beats it rehashed, Reign was far less satisfying to watch.

    Regarding the New 52 Morrison run, there are also aspects of it that I felt were too jumbled and too... Morrison. But like All-Star Superman, if adapted, the Morrison arc would be simplified and distilled to the basic points that broader audiences can enjoy, most notably the characterization of social crusader Supes.

  15. #45
    Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    7,083

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Eto View Post
    Because it’s a great Elseworlds story?
    It’s something different, it’s not the conventional Superman, yet at the same time it’s true to its core.
    I won't say it isn't great, but that's not necessarily a reason why it would be something so strongly significant to the character as people know him.

    Millar's Red Son is more famous than his other Superman work by far. Maybe his small output is even more famous than the Siegel stories. I'm hoping whoever they get to write Man of Tomorrow... please, get someone who knows the comics.

    Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Frankly I’m shocked Millar was the first one to come up with the concept.
    That's totally what he does best lol. "What if Wolverine was in Dark Knight Returns" "What if the Avengers were formed right after 9/11" and such high concepts. But because he has great understanding with many characters, it doesn't surprise me when he sticks the landing.
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •