Page 57 of 58 FirstFirst ... 747535455565758 LastLast
Results 841 to 855 of 859
  1. #841
    Extraordinary Member manwhohaseverything's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    5,404

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OpaqueGiraffe17 View Post
    I saw it, and did not love it. The first 2 acts were largely fantastic, got all the right stuff from American Alien down. But the third act was pretty bad imo.
    spoilers:
    Martian Manhunterís fake out death was really cheap. And what the hell was the message they were trying to go with Parasite? Rudy, while obviously a tragic character, totally murdered a bunch of innocent people. That was obviously why the humans were justifiably afraid of him. Why was Clark trying to spin it into a xenophobic thing? That was so forced and dumb. Lobo was cool but once again 3rd act went a really forced direction between him, Jíonn and Kal that did not land at all.
    end of spoilers
    Lois and Perry were the best parts of this one. Clark/Superman was also done really great spoilers:
    even if I didnít love his dependency on getting so close to the sun or his bad speech at the end.
    end of spoilers but I did appreciate that there was a real distinction between the two alter egos.
    3.5/5
    Did the people on the bridge know it was rudy who caused the deaths or where they afraid of the look of the creature and size? I think message was, Don't go by appearances. Something alien can be good for you. Something homegrown(the tech that created parasite and luthor who tried to enslave) can be harmful as well. Something that looks like us might be alien and something that doesn't maybe is one of us. As rudy took in more of Clark's alienness and he became the artic giant-esque figure. Ideas haven't meshed well. But, these concepts are generally what i want from superman. I loved that superman says point blank that he is as much of monster as rudy is and feels a level of empathy with it. I do believe as they work on concepts they will get better at execution. Atleast they are trying. Besides, having kaiju superman movie is something i have always wanted.

  2. #842

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    Did the people on the bridge know it was rudy who caused the deaths or where they afraid of the look of the creature and size? I think message was, Don't go by appearances. Something alien can be good for you. Something homegrown(the tech that created parasite and luthor who tried to enslave) can be harmful as well. Something that looks like us might be alien and something that doesn't maybe is one of us. As rudy took in more of Clark's alienness and he became the artic giant-esque figure. Ideas haven't meshed well. But, these concepts are generally what i want from superman. I loved that superman says point blank that he is as much of monster as rudy is and feels a level of empathy with it. I do believe as they work on concepts they will get better at execution. Atleast they are trying. Besides, having kaiju superman movie is something i have always wanted.
    Yeah but in that situation the giant purple monster trying to kill them was actually trying to kill them. So they were right to cower in fear. Clark taking offense to that, was really silly.
    A better approach would have been to have the people on the boat freak out after seeing J’onn’s true form, only for Clark to vouch for him. They had a far better example for not judging appearances right there.
    Last edited by OpaqueGiraffe17; 08-25-2020 at 05:21 PM.

  3. #843
    Extraordinary Member manwhohaseverything's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    5,404

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OpaqueGiraffe17 View Post
    Yeah but in that situation the giant purple monster trying to kill them was actually trying to kill them. So they were right to cower in fear. Clark taking offense to that, was really silly.
    A better approach would have been to have the people on the boat freak out after seeing J’onn’s true form, only for Clark to vouch for him. They had a far better example for not judging appearances right there.
    Was he?once, kal and rudy connected on a deeperlevel. Rudy didn't. Rudy was reaching for his wife and daughter(or people that looked like them) . It was his protective instinct as a father amplified by kal on protective instinct for the weak.I believe, clark understood that.So, he felt offended. Its a standard kaiju movie troupe. The protagonist or some important cast feels a level empathy for the kaiju. I believe its because of the Japanese roots of these giant monsters and ofcourse real world history.

    Well, they did that with manhunter in prior situation. The whole "alien menace" thing was because of that with that though there won't be any ambiguities. It would be straige forward. Aliens and monsters - good. Humans-bad.Superman wasn't asking people to not defend themselves. He was asking/warning people of becoming the monster they perceive and asking them to control their fear of the unknown and rage at the powerlessness .
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 08-25-2020 at 10:07 PM.

  4. #844
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    55,597

    Default

    You can watch a free stream of Man of Tomorrow on DC FanDome now.

  5. #845
    Extraordinary Member sifighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    5,156

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    You can watch a free stream of Man of Tomorrow on DC FanDome now.
    Watched it, I thought it was pretty fun for a kind of origin movie.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

  6. #846
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    55,597

    Default

    Thoughts:

    It was kind of surreal seeing Matt Bomer introduce this movie for the FanDome screening. It's like you'd expect him to have been the lead of this Superman movie instead of Darren Criss, but I guess he's always kind of gravitated a lot towards Superman beyond voicing him in Unbound.

    This movie was a beginning in a lot of ways. The beginning of a new Superman's story, the beginning of Butch Lukic's tenure as executive producer, and maybe potentially the beginning of a new DC Animated Universe? Obviously this is meant to be a standalone feature, and it is, but maybe it's just because I can't get the idea out of my head but this felt like the start of something more than just a one-and-done Superman origin. The start of a journey with potential for follow up instead of just a normal adaption that is over and done with once the credits roll. I feel like if we ever see Lukic do another Superman movie, it'll likely star this Superman rather than a new take. Will that hold true for future films starring other heroes? Only time will tell.

    As far as Superman origins go, I thought this was pretty fun and solid. It gave me vibes of each modern Superman origin (Birthright, Secret Origin, American Alien) all condensed together, which was interesting. I think it did a good job of capturing the heart of the character and his world, and the art style felt very much like an animated comic book. It kind of feels like what I would'v liked to have seen them do with the New 52 instead of how it was actually executed (which I guess lends to the post-Apokolips War reboot vibes).


    I know under the Tucker era there were complaints of stiff and unmemorable voice acting, but I felt everyone brought their a-game here and really shined as each character. We got a lot of new voices, some reprisals exhibiting their characters in new ways, and all presenting these characters' timeless qualities that make them so beloved.

    Darren Criss was a good Superman. I wasn't sure how he'd sound as Clark/Superman but I thought he did a good job of capturing the character's enthusiasm, humanity, humor, and duality. I also like how you could tell the subtle differences between his "Clark" and his "Superman" where his Clark is more outwardly dorky and clumsy while Superman is much more serious and commanding. All around it felt like a bit of a softer take on a millennial Superman ala New 52 Supes (with a dash more classic Supes), which I thought worked really well here.

    Alexandra Daddario's young Lois was pretty fun and interesting to watch. She's not the glamorous ace reporter of the Daily Planet yet (she hasn't even won a Pulitzer), but she still has that commitment to truth, justice, and responsibility that drives Lois as a reporter. She's also much more brash and a little quick to assume regarding people, which ends up leading Superman to knock her down a peg by the end. Can't say I ever expected to see a bit of Superdickery like that pop up in a modern story. But I also thought she and Clark had really good chemistry with each other, and you can see why Clark starts to idolize/crush on her so quickly.

    Zachary Quinto's Luthor reminded me a lot of Rainn Wilson's Lex, honestly, just less high-pitched and nasally. Luthor throughout this movie exudes this false charisma and charm that belies his absolute ego and sinister intentions so you're never quite sure what his angle is other than the fact that he knows he's the smartest person in the room and loves to flaunt it. spoilers:
    And of course he ends up betraying Superman, because of course he does.
    end of spoilers

    spoilers:
    I wish we had gotten to see more of Mercy in the movie. Y'know how in the comics she was actually an Amazon at some point? Here she really has the build to where I could believe that.

    Yeah, Perry was a bit of a jerk here. On the one hand his ruining Lois' standing with her new co-workers and berating his reporters was kind of funny, but also not very endearing. Maybe he just needs Jimmy around to channel his frustration.

    Ron Troupe! It's always nice to see Ron show up and get some actual character. I got a kick out of his cameo in Red Son so it was nice to give him a bit more of a role here.

    The movie made a very sympathetic and easy to like Rudy Jones...at least until he becomes Parasite and immediately starts absorbing/killing people, which was honestly a little jarring. I know it's Parasite's whole shtick but I feel like they could have done a better job of building up to it. And the movie definitely leaned into a more monstrous Parasite that stuff like Supergirl and Justice League Action have been moving forward with, right down to turning him into a straight-up Kaiju. He was basically Godzilla by the end of the movie, right down to the spikes on his back and a breath attack.

    (Speaking of breath attack, we never saw Freeze Breath at all, did we? Or Super Breath).

    Lobo was basically Lobo. Pretty pitch-perfect adaption of the character and he certainly made an impact, and in my opinion had some of the best lines in the entire movie. Ryan Hurst really was born to play Lobo, and the Main Man sounded exactly how you would expect him, including all his favorite phrases. Superman and Lobo have a pretty entertaining history, so it was nice to see that on-display here.

    I liked the take on the Kents here. They were a very warm and relatable parents trying to do their best for Clark, and had some good lines here. I never expected to see Neil Flynn go from being Vixen's adoptive dad to Superman's, but he and Bellamy Young were surprisingly convincing as Jonathan and Martha.

    It seems like the film took some cues from Supergirl by making Martian Manhunter into a mentor for a Super-character after initially playing hardball with them, before revealing that he's still J'onn J'onzz at the end of the day. I thought it was a good role for J'onn and I was really interested in finding out more about him over the course of the movie, like how he ended up Earth, how he had been living, etc. Ike Amadi also perfectly captured J'onn's serene, calm, and alien demeanor and his inner compassion and wisdom. Maybe they should do a DC Showcase Martian Manhunter short one of these days.

    Was that a hologram of the future Fortress of Solitude or a Kryptonian city? The dome made me think of Kandor.

    J'onn's fakeout death felt a little unnecessary. I think we could've shaken Superman's confidence without it and just have J'onn come into help at the climax without needing a fakeout death that didn't really add much otherwise.

    I love how it looked like Lois was going to comfort Clark only for it turn out Perry sent her to fire Clark and she was also going to use it as a chance to either steal his story or jump on his byline.

    So Superman is publicly active for little over a few days and gets to talk to convicted criminals with no hassle? And how did Luthor get his day off?

    Oh hey, Warsuit cameo.

    Not often you see Lex and Superman team-up as their first initial interaction. Luthor and Superman don't end the movie as Archenemies yet (heck, Lois and Martian Manhunter catch Luthor instead of Superman himself) but you can definitely see that they don't like each other and that Luthor is wary of Superman's stature and power compromising Luthor's control.

    Honestly I don't think the climax was as exciting as it could have been, especially compared to the Superman/MM vs Lobo brawl. I've seen more dynamic Superheros vs Kaiju fights. I guess it was refreshing that the movie ended with Superman appealing to Parasite's inner humanity by injecting him with Superman's, but considering Parasite would've likely jumped on the reactor even without that, it felt a little hollow or unclear why Parasite did what he did (even if the creators probably intended it to be from Superman's influence). Kind of a more bittersweet and less resounding way to end the final battle in an origin story.

    I think that's the first time I've seen them treat Lobo being the last Czarnian because he killed them all as a joke he tells to build his rep. It's actually surprisingly in-character.

    Y'know, with J'onn's luck those other Martians are probably going to turn out to be White Martians. Or maybe it's M'Gann. I kinda hope J'onn sticks around as a hero on Earth for a while though.
    end of spoilers

    One thing I still don't get:

    spoilers:
    Why was Brainiac on the spine of the Blu-Ray DVD if he was never in the movie at all? They never explained who set the bounty for Kryptonian's so I have to assume it would've turned out to be him, but he never appears at all and it's left as a loose end. Was he planned to be in the movie but was cut because they didn't want to include such an obvious sequel tease?
    end of spoilers

  7. #847
    Extraordinary Member Vordan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    5,737

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Thoughts:

    It was kind of surreal seeing Matt Bomer introduce this movie for the FanDome screening. It's like you'd expect him to have been the lead of this Superman movie instead of Darren Criss, but I guess he's always kind of gravitated a lot towards Superman beyond voicing him in Unbound.

    This movie was a beginning in a lot of ways. The beginning of a new Superman's story, the beginning of Butch Lukic's tenure as executive producer, and maybe potentially the beginning of a new DC Animated Universe? Obviously this is meant to be a standalone feature, and it is, but maybe it's just because I can't get the idea out of my head but this felt like the start of something more than just a one-and-done Superman origin. The start of a journey with potential for follow up instead of just a normal adaption that is over and done with once the credits roll. I feel like if we ever see Lukic do another Superman movie, it'll likely star this Superman rather than a new take. Will that hold true for future films starring other heroes? Only time will tell.

    As far as Superman origins go, I thought this was pretty fun and solid. It gave me vibes of each modern Superman origin (Birthright, Secret Origin, American Alien) all condensed together, which was interesting. I think it did a good job of capturing the heart of the character and his world, and the art style felt very much like an animated comic book. It kind of feels like what I would'v liked to have seen them do with the New 52 instead of how it was actually executed (which I guess lends to the post-Apokolips War reboot vibes).


    I know under the Tucker era there were complaints of stiff and unmemorable voice acting, but I felt everyone brought their a-game here and really shined as each character. We got a lot of new voices, some reprisals exhibiting their characters in new ways, and all presenting these characters' timeless qualities that make them so beloved.

    Darren Criss was a good Superman. I wasn't sure how he'd sound as Clark/Superman but I thought he did a good job of capturing the character's enthusiasm, humanity, humor, and duality. I also like how you could tell the subtle differences between his "Clark" and his "Superman" where his Clark is more outwardly dorky and clumsy while Superman is much more serious and commanding. All around it felt like a bit of a softer take on a millennial Superman ala New 52 Supes (with a dash more classic Supes), which I thought worked really well here.

    Alexandra Daddario's young Lois was pretty fun and interesting to watch. She's not the glamorous ace reporter of the Daily Planet yet (she hasn't even won a Pulitzer), but she still has that commitment to truth, justice, and responsibility that drives Lois as a reporter. She's also much more brash and a little quick to assume regarding people, which ends up leading Superman to knock her down a peg by the end. Can't say I ever expected to see a bit of Superdickery like that pop up in a modern story. But I also thought she and Clark had really good chemistry with each other, and you can see why Clark starts to idolize/crush on her so quickly.

    Zachary Quinto's Luthor reminded me a lot of Rainn Wilson's Lex, honestly, just less high-pitched and nasally. Luthor throughout this movie exudes this false charisma and charm that belies his absolute ego and sinister intentions so you're never quite sure what his angle is other than the fact that he knows he's the smartest person in the room and loves to flaunt it. spoilers:
    And of course he ends up betraying Superman, because of course he does.
    end of spoilers

    spoilers:
    I wish we had gotten to see more of Mercy in the movie. Y'know how in the comics she was actually an Amazon at some point? Here she really has the build to where I could believe that.

    Yeah, Perry was a bit of a jerk here. On the one hand his ruining Lois' standing with her new co-workers and berating his reporters was kind of funny, but also not very endearing. Maybe he just needs Jimmy around to channel his frustration.

    Ron Troupe! It's always nice to see Ron show up and get some actual character. I got a kick out of his cameo in Red Son so it was nice to give him a bit more of a role here.

    The movie made a very sympathetic and easy to like Rudy Jones...at least until he becomes Parasite and immediately starts absorbing/killing people, which was honestly a little jarring. I know it's Parasite's whole shtick but I feel like they could have done a better job of building up to it. And the movie definitely leaned into a more monstrous Parasite that stuff like Supergirl and Justice League Action have been moving forward with, right down to turning him into a straight-up Kaiju. He was basically Godzilla by the end of the movie, right down to the spikes on his back and a breath attack.

    (Speaking of breath attack, we never saw Freeze Breath at all, did we? Or Super Breath).

    Lobo was basically Lobo. Pretty pitch-perfect adaption of the character and he certainly made an impact, and in my opinion had some of the best lines in the entire movie. Ryan Hurst really was born to play Lobo, and the Main Man sounded exactly how you would expect him, including all his favorite phrases. Superman and Lobo have a pretty entertaining history, so it was nice to see that on-display here.

    I liked the take on the Kents here. They were a very warm and relatable parents trying to do their best for Clark, and had some good lines here. I never expected to see Neil Flynn go from being Vixen's adoptive dad to Superman's, but he and Bellamy Young were surprisingly convincing as Jonathan and Martha.

    It seems like the film took some cues from Supergirl by making Martian Manhunter into a mentor for a Super-character after initially playing hardball with them, before revealing that he's still J'onn J'onzz at the end of the day. I thought it was a good role for J'onn and I was really interested in finding out more about him over the course of the movie, like how he ended up Earth, how he had been living, etc. Ike Amadi also perfectly captured J'onn's serene, calm, and alien demeanor and his inner compassion and wisdom. Maybe they should do a DC Showcase Martian Manhunter short one of these days.

    Was that a hologram of the future Fortress of Solitude or a Kryptonian city? The dome made me think of Kandor.

    J'onn's fakeout death felt a little unnecessary. I think we could've shaken Superman's confidence without it and just have J'onn come into help at the climax without needing a fakeout death that didn't really add much otherwise.

    I love how it looked like Lois was going to comfort Clark only for it turn out Perry sent her to fire Clark and she was also going to use it as a chance to either steal his story or jump on his byline.

    So Superman is publicly active for little over a few days and gets to talk to convicted criminals with no hassle? And how did Luthor get his day off?

    Oh hey, Warsuit cameo.

    Not often you see Lex and Superman team-up as their first initial interaction. Luthor and Superman don't end the movie as Archenemies yet (heck, Lois and Martian Manhunter catch Luthor instead of Superman himself) but you can definitely see that they don't like each other and that Luthor is wary of Superman's stature and power compromising Luthor's control.

    Honestly I don't think the climax was as exciting as it could have been, especially compared to the Superman/MM vs Lobo brawl. I've seen more dynamic Superheros vs Kaiju fights. I guess it was refreshing that the movie ended with Superman appealing to Parasite's inner humanity by injecting him with Superman's, but considering Parasite would've likely jumped on the reactor even without that, it felt a little hollow or unclear why Parasite did what he did (even if the creators probably intended it to be from Superman's influence). Kind of a more bittersweet and less resounding way to end the final battle in an origin story.

    I think that's the first time I've seen them treat Lobo being the last Czarnian because he killed them all as a joke he tells to build his rep. It's actually surprisingly in-character.

    Y'know, with J'onn's luck those other Martians are probably going to turn out to be White Martians. Or maybe it's M'Gann. I kinda hope J'onn sticks around as a hero on Earth for a while though.
    end of spoilers

    One thing I still don't get:

    spoilers:
    Why was Brainiac on the spine of the Blu-Ray DVD if he was never in the movie at all? They never explained who set the bounty for Kryptonian's so I have to assume it would've turned out to be him, but he never appears at all and it's left as a loose end. Was he planned to be in the movie but was cut because they didn't want to include such an obvious sequel tease?
    end of spoilers
    My guess is yeah that was meant as a sequel tease that they cut to make the movie standalone.

  8. #848
    A Wearied Madness Vakanai's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    6,607

    Cool

    Okay, so got the Blu-ray the other day and finally watched this. Wow, I'm surprised at some of the bad reviews and disappointment from some fans here, this was fantastic!

    It's not the best or greatest thing Superman's ever been in no, but it's probably the best animated Superman movie ever to date. It's only competition is Death of Superman. Which is sad that Clark doesn't have a definitively super entry in this space, but this is definitely the closest to it in my view. It just got so much so right.

    I wasn't a fan of the art design when we first got those stills or trailers, but seeing it all in motion on my TV, it worked, it worked very well.

    Loved Godzilla Parasite. Lex's voice wasn't great, but it wasn't awful and the character was on brand. Lobo was perfect, and Martian Manhunter was good and well used. Lois was excellent of course.

    I don't think that this is the start of some new shared universe, thankfully, I just don't see them keeping quiet about it at this point. After the movie's out on disc to buy, if they haven't announced it as a new rebooted shared universe by now, than frankly it isn't. But, and I absolutely can't believe I'm saying this - but if it were the start of the new universe? I would be more okay with that than I thought I would be. They delivered here, this is frankly one of the best if not the best Superman movie since Superman 2. It's my current favorite. Last time I felt this satisfied as a Superman fan at the end of one of these was probably Superman vs the Elite. I'd be down for a sequel - I haven't completely turned around in my dislike for a shared universe, but I would definitely go for a sequel to this version at least, and I wouldn't be as uncomfortable if this did restart the universe, even if I still hope it doesn't.

    That's as good as you're going to get from me.

    Anyways, I feel better with this team and the movies going forward than I have in a while. Seriously, it's weird to see how meh some people are on this one, when we finally really got a movie that knocked it solidly out into the stands even if not quite out of the park.

  9. #849
    Extraordinary Member Robotman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    California
    Posts
    8,338

    Default

    Finally watched it. Overall I thought it was ok. The animation, acting, and action were all top notch. There were a number of story details that bothered me. First off it perpetuates the Snyder Superman trope that he causes a ton of collateral damage and is a danger to the average citizens of Metropolis. If they would have just shown him trying to save people even while fighting the bad guys, like Superman traditionally does, the destruction would have been ok. They should have had him at least trying to save Rudy! I know this is a rookie Superman but he did nothing here that would make him a hero to the people. He started his destructive fight with Lobo before the public knew what the real threat was. Also, Lobo was only there because of Superman. The Parasite is created because of Lobo. Superman is still the cause of the chaos. Basically the story tells us that heís more trouble than heís worth to humanity.

    Really annoying that they didnít have him save Rudy. That would be a very Superman thing to do. He finds a way to help the monster. Having the Parasite just disintegrate was pretty weak.

    At the very least I hope this movie shows what an awesome villain the Parasite is for Superman. If your protagonist is the strongest character around, itís a great idea to have a villain he canít even get close to. Iíd love to see him in a live action movie.
    Last edited by Robotman; 09-23-2020 at 10:34 PM.

  10. #850
    Astonishing Member stargazer01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    California
    Posts
    2,665

    Default

    Saw Superman: Man of Tomorrow today, I quite liked it, but I feel it could have been even better with some little changes?

    It's a good Superman movie, though. I really liked Superman's characterization. I loved that he was an optimist. I liked Lobo a lot, and I'm not a big fan really. Couldn't stand him in the show Krypton, but he really works here. Lex was also used very well. I was worried they had forgotten about him haha. Parasite is such a great tragic villain, IMO. I think they could have added more personal drama with him here. I LOVED that Superman tried to reason with him and everybody saw it.

    I didn't like that Ma Kent made the super suit. It's cheesy. At least the fabric was from Krypton. I much rather the suit came straight from Krypton. And Kryptonians wore capes, so I really don't see the need to copy Batman, ugh...

    Lois was good too and her scenes with Clark. I liked that he didn't give her all she wanted and he did it his way, ha! I really want a sequel! BTW, Superman looked great. Really like his design.

    Oh and my favorites are still All Star Superman and Death of Superman. I really love those movies. Saw All Star again last week and it's great. Lex was amazing in it. Superman is just bigger than life. Such a great story. So, Lois had his children, right? And does he return some day soon or not? I guess not? ...
    Last edited by stargazer01; 09-28-2020 at 08:18 AM.

  11. #851
    Extraordinary Member Vordan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    5,737

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stargazer01 View Post
    Saw Superman: Man of Tomorrow today, I quite liked it, but I feel it could have been even better with some little changes?

    It's a good Superman movie, though. I really liked Superman's characterization. I loved that he was an optimist. I liked Lobo a lot, and I'm not a big fan really. Couldn't stand him in the show Krypton, but he really works here. Lex was also used very well. I was worried they had forgotten about him haha. Parasite is such a great tragic villain, IMO. I think they could have added more personal drama with him here. I LOVED that Superman tried to reason with him and everybody saw it.

    I didn't like that Ma Kent made the super suit. It's cheesy. At least the fabric was from Krypton. I much rather the suit came straight from Krypton. And Kryptonian wore capes, so I really don't see the need to copy Batman, ugh...

    Lois was good too and her scenes with Clark. I liked that he didn't give her all she wanted and he did it his way, ha! I really want a sequel! BTW, Superman looked great. Really like his design.

    Oh and my favorites are still All Star Superman and Death of Superman. I really love those movies. Saw All Star last week and it's great. Lex was amazing in it. Superman is just bigger than life. Such a great story. So, Lois had his children, right? And does he return some day soon or not? I guess not? ...
    DC One Million by Morrison is a spiritual sequel to All-Star despite being created before All-Star. Read that if you want to know what becomes of Superman and Lois.

  12. #852
    Extraordinary Member Robotman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    California
    Posts
    8,338

    Default

    Watched it again and The Parasite arc really bothered me. Its been said countless times but one of the great things about Superman is he always finds a way to save us. That’s the hope aspect of the character. There’s always the hope that Superman will find a way to win. That was the point of Tom King’s Up in the Sky. Having the kindly janitor, Rudy, suffer so much and become the Parasite left me waiting for Superman to find a way to cure him and reunite him with his family. Instead they just have Parasite overload and disintegrate. Superman just makes a speech about not judging others which made no sense because The Parasite monster had literally killed countless people so I everyone’s fear was pretty justified.

    As others have said, the third act was a huge let down.

  13. #853
    Extraordinary Member manwhohaseverything's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    5,404

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    Watched it again and The Parasite arc really bothered me. Its been said countless times but one of the great things about Superman is he always finds a way to save us. That’s the hope aspect of the character. There’s always the hope that Superman will find a way to win. That was the point of Tom King’s Up in the Sky. Having the kindly janitor, Rudy, suffer so much and become the Parasite left me waiting for Superman to find a way to cure him and reunite him with his family. Instead they just have Parasite overload and disintegrate. Superman just makes a speech about not judging others which made no sense because The Parasite monster had literally killed countless people so I everyone’s fear was pretty justified.

    As others have said, the third act was a huge let down.
    Actually, you are viewing it with a different perspective. It's actually rudy who is the hope and its kaiju movie troupe to kill of a "monster" . Superman just becomes an omen for parasites transformation . He is the working class guy who attained monsterous power and sacrifices himself so that the people with prejudices have don't just blindly act on. He provides hope for three aliens living amongst us.It was never about him either. It was always about his daughter, the next generation. So that they can get over the prejudice. Moreover, the accident could have been caused by an american citizen, not the aliens. Chaos is caused by americans everyday as well. What are you gonna do? Blame every american for that.Say americans are all more trouble than they are worth?Finally, hope without sacrifices has no weight.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 09-28-2020 at 08:32 AM.

  14. #854
    Astonishing Member stargazer01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    California
    Posts
    2,665

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    DC One Million by Morrison is a spiritual sequel to All-Star despite being created before All-Star. Read that if you want to know what becomes of Superman and Lois.
    thanks, I have read it, but it was many years ago. I remember some things. I think I still have the book somewhere.

  15. #855
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    55,597

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    Watched it again and The Parasite arc really bothered me. Its been said countless times but one of the great things about Superman is he always finds a way to save us. That’s the hope aspect of the character. There’s always the hope that Superman will find a way to win. That was the point of Tom King’s Up in the Sky. Having the kindly janitor, Rudy, suffer so much and become the Parasite left me waiting for Superman to find a way to cure him and reunite him with his family. Instead they just have Parasite overload and disintegrate. Superman just makes a speech about not judging others which made no sense because The Parasite monster had literally killed countless people so I everyone’s fear was pretty justified.

    As others have said, the third act was a huge let down.
    Yeah, I feel like they could have resolved the Parasite situation a little better...and maybe not show him so readily killing people as soon as he becomes Parasite.

    Like it's not even clear if it's Superman's speech that makes him sacrifice himself because he probably would have gone to the reactor to absorb it anyways.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •