Page 22 of 63 FirstFirst ... 1218192021222324252632 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by stargazer01 View Post
    I think Reign was good but it needed more suspense and drama. yeah it was rushed for time and it hurt it a bit. Death of Superman felt more emotional and powerful for me.
    I honestly didn't feel much of a difference, personally, aside from how much more Reign had going on. Everything with Cyborg-Superman and the return part had me on the edge of my seat.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I honestly didn't feel much of a difference, personally, aside from how much more Reign had going on. Everything with Cyborg-Superman and the return part had me on the edge of my seat.
    really? I should rewatch soon, but I just loved Death so much more.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by stargazer01 View Post
    really? I should rewatch soon, but I just loved Death so much more.
    For what it's worth, Death was the first good Superman outing we've had since the turnover to New 52 films, so there was the surprise factor whereas Reign had to clear a higher bar to have the same effect. I think Reign was solid. My girlfriend and I caught the premier in theaters (there was a limited screening event back when the world was young and you could watch films in a cinema).

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    I was just about to ask the same thing. Lobo, Parasite, him being an intern at the Daily Planet, all that sounds like it could have been pulled from American Alien. They'd probably never admit it now, but its possible it's being loosely adapted.

Alexandra Daddario was in a movie with Tyler Hoechlin not to long ago, so that's kinda funny that now she's playing Lois.
    Tyler is making a career out of making out with every actress who once played or will voice Lois Lane.

The Domestics (which was actually kind of underrated as a horror movie) was basically sold on that stunt casting of Tyler and Kate Bosworth as the married couple on the run.

Obviously he has Elizabeth as his tv wife and they are seemingly pretty tight. (With Elizabeth’s husband, David, being often mistaken for Routh and he made it to the second round of casting for MOS-this is all so incestuous.)

Now, he’s got Alexandra who he just made a movie with recently where they were a couple. (She’s a Superman fan and posted a photo wearing a Superman tee at one point for Tyler while they were in production so it’s not actually shocking that she may be the new voice for Lois.)

I hope he finds a way to make out with Erica Durance next. LOL
    Last edited by Nelliebly; 04-30-2020 at 06:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    For what it's worth, Death was the first good Superman outing we've had since the turnover to New 52 films, so there was the surprise factor whereas Reign had to clear a higher bar to have the same effect. I think Reign was solid. My girlfriend and I caught the premier in theaters (there was a limited screening event back when the world was young and you could watch films in a cinema).
    Granted we didn't really see him get to do much other then be on the Justice League for a few movies prior. Aside from couple stuff with Wonder Woman I guess there was that time in JLvsTT where the Titans freed him from Trigon's control and helped take down Flash and Diana.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nelliebly View Post
    Tyler is making a career out of making out with every actress who once played or will voice Lois Lane.

The Domestics (which was actually kind of underrated as a horror movie) was basically sold on that stunt casting of Tyler and Kate Bosworth as the married couple on the run.

Obviously he has Elizabeth as his tv wife and they are seemingly pretty tight. (With Elizabeth’s husband, David, being often mistaken for Routh and he made it to the second round of casting for MOS-this is all so incestuous.)

Now, he’s got Alexandra who he just made a movie with recently where they were a couple. (She’s a Superman fan and posted a photo wearing a Superman tee at one point for Tyler while they were in production so it’s not actually shocking that she may be the new voice for Lois.)

Tyler's honestly seems to be making a career out of being associated with people or roles even tangentially related to Superman. He succeeded George Newbern (2nd DCAU Supes) as Sephiroth in the new Final Fantasy VII remake.

Sounds like it might be interesting. I'm with everyone else in wondering if this is a loose American Alien adaptation, but it's still just a big if at this point so let's not make any conclusions. If it does turn out to be an American Alien adaptation, however loose, I'm good with that. Personally it's not my favorite Superman origin of the millennium, probably ranking 3rd after Birthright and Man and Superman, but it's definitely alright and can make the basis for a pretty good film.

I think if it does indeed turn out to be American Alien that'd support the idea this is a stand alone one and done and not the first film of a new animated cinematic universe, since AA was basically a stand-alone Elseworld. On the other hand there not being anyone cast as Batman makes me think it might not be an AA film adaptation - even though his role was super small and minor in that origin, WB would never turn down the chance to stick Batman in one of these movies and would announce him asap with the other casting choices.

Like many I'm waiting to see it animated before I judge the art style, but first impression from one picture is pretty positive. I actually loved Bourassa's designs for the DCAMU, but it's nice to change things up and get some variety. Hope this means we're going back to each film having a unique style.

Also I told you they weren't going to release a 5G Jon as Superman movie. They've never released a movie version of an event the same year as the comic books do the event, and they never will. They just don't have that level of integration and synergy. The comics might do something to try and ride the coattails of a movie, but they're not going to plan a movie to coincide with a comic event.
    (But I dragged the told you so's far enough.)

Quote Originally Posted by Nelliebly View Post

That’s hilarious. I didn’t realize he was taking his role as Clark Kent so seriously! The trailer for the movie he was in with Alexandra Daddario even had a little Lois & Clark vibe to it.

And yeah, he pretty much has to make out with Erica Durance in something now.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

I don't think it's gonna be American alien. In that story superman wears the costume at the very end. It looks different as well.Before that he wears a modified batman cowl and cape after ripping it off from him. Also, loved the flight goggles and flight balancing bits. It's by far the third best postcrisis origin story for me.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Well, it doesn't have to be American Alien to be inspired by American Alien.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    Well, it doesn't have to be American Alien to be inspired by American Alien.
    Well, flight was very important in the story. Also, the goggles is pretty damn awesome. it was the most laid back, goofiest and funniest superman.They leaned to spiderman the right way.A drunk superman is the best Superman. An adaptation of american alien without him being that laid back would be pointless. He is just a dude in that interpretation that escapes gravity without a rhyme or reason.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 05-01-2020 at 12:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    It was also the only movie since Flashpoint Paradox that was Superman-centric.

Reign is kind of a cliffsnotes version of the story, and despite the title, I think it doesn't really focus enough on the Supermen. Death is a solid film, and in isolation is kind of the best, but if you look at all of the movies in the line from 2007, it brings the least originality to the table, from the basic plot lines, Superman's internal struggles, and down to the JL gets wiped out and it all comes down to the last man standing (which is an unfortunate running theme in these movies). Death is probably great if it's one of the first movies you've watched, but for me who's seens almost all of the movies, there's a lot of here-we-go-again. It's better than Superman: Doomsday, its closest analog, but I ended up enjoying Doomsday more in 2007 than Death in 2018.

I have to think if this is going to be in any way an "adaption" of American Alien, it's going to kinda be in the vein of the MCU or Arrowverse crossovers where they borrow some plot elements to tell a new story. Only here they are going to do their best not to even acknowledge a connection. I could see them borrowing a little bit of the Pixarish first issue for some flashbacks to his powers developing, the broad strokes of him and Lois being interns together, and the Parasite and Lobo fights. Beyond that, I don't think it's going to do more than borrow some really generalized stuff they can deny was in any way connected to American Alien. They would have announced Batman or Bruce Wayne in the cast, or Deathstroke, if they were going to do an actual adaptation.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    I have to think if this is going to be in any way an "adaption" of American Alien, it's going to kinda be in the vein of the MCU or Arrowverse crossovers where they borrow some plot elements to tell a new story. Only here they are going to do their best not to even acknowledge a connection. I could see them borrowing a little bit of the Pixarish first issue for some flashbacks to his powers developing, the broad strokes of him and Lois being interns together, and the Parasite and Lobo fights. Beyond that, I don't think it's going to do more than borrow some really generalized stuff they can deny was in any way connected to American Alien. They would have announced Batman or Bruce Wayne in the cast, or Deathstroke, if they were going to do an actual adaptation.
    It’ll be like how JL Doom adapted Tower of Babel. The basic plot is similar, Batman’s plans to take out the JL get stolen by a villain, but the details are all different. Savage is the main villain not Ra’s, and he leads a Legion of Doom to help him with his goals.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    It’ll be like how JL Doom adapted Tower of Babel. The basic plot is similar, Batman’s plans to take out the JL get stolen by a villain, but the details are all different. Savage is the main villain not Ra’s, and he leads a Legion of Doom to help him with his goals.
    Or like how Superman: Doomsday adapted "Death of Superman." Superman fights Doomsday, dies, and then the rest of the film largely deviates from the comics.

WB's animation teams have been pretty sly about working in comic stories into animation and repurposing them to fit a different narrative environment. They did that plenty in the JL cartoon. For instance, the JL episode "Hereafter" is basically "Death of Superman" and Action Comics #300 rolled into a 44-minute story, mixed in with the end of the show's Vandal Savage Trilogy, and it works surprisingly great.

Fantastic Member

The Eagle arc. I don't get it!! Looks awful!! I want to read a superman comic about superman being superman!! Not some Batman want be!!
    Last edited by lotchj; 05-01-2020 at 08:03 AM.