Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
Hmm looks like Reign didn’t do that great in sales https://m.the-numbers.com/movie/Reig...upermen-(2019) and I can think of a couple of reasons for that:

1. Sheridan is not as good a scriptwriter as Tomasi
2. This movie didn’t actually star Superman except for the ending sequence
3. Most people might have watched it on DCU, will be interesting to see Hush sales
4. They really should have made it a trilogy, Death, Reign, and Return, although now that we know the ending I guess I can see why they cut down on Reign

I still really liked the movie, and the fact that we are getting two Superman movies makes me think Reign did well on DCU. If it was a total flop we would not be getting two Superman movies. They should definitely be asking the comic book writers to help with the writing, I’d love to see Morrison himself write an animated Superman movie, or Tomasi again since he did such a good job imo with Death.
I mean, 2 they couldn't really do anything about because that's how the story works.

I'd like to think WB were prepared for 3 because that seems like the obvious impact from having them available to watch on DC Universe, so the incentive for more DCU subscribers and streaming numbers would offset the impact on physical sales.

I wonder if Death/Reign had anything to do with it. I believe the animated movie team produce stuff well in advance, like several years in advance, so I'm not sure if they would have been aware of sales while producing the 2020 slate.