Page 44 of 63 FirstFirst ... 3440414243444546474854 ... LastLast
    The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Amadeus Arkham View Post
    This isn’t a retcon because it was never canon. The old DBZ Ocean Dub was the one to purport the idea that Bardock was a scientist(like Jor-El). This has never been said in the original Japanese language version of the series in either anime or manga form. This was false information from a dub that wasn’t very faithful to the Japanese scripts.
    There isn't anything that says it's not true either now. So, it's up in the air what bardock did. Minus is basically way more supermanish an origin story. The guy isn't an idiot like goku is that's for sure.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    There isn't anything that says it's not true either now. So, it's up in the air what bardock did. Minus is basically way more supermanish an origin story. The guy isn't an idiot like goku is that's for sure.
    Bardock was shown to be a low-class warrior from Planet Vegeta. How could he possibly be a scientist?
    "I love mankind...it's people I can't stand!!"

- Charles Schultz.

Someone posts a video about Superman, and the commentary is about Goku and Dragonball. Am I on YouTube?

Quote Originally Posted by Amadeus Arkham View Post
    Bardock was shown to be a low-class warrior from Planet Vegeta. How could he possibly be a scientist?
    That's a classification only based on fighting prowess and politics(clearly you can't be stronger than the king or prince) . Who knows? Anything can happen. I mean, broly is canon now.As far as bardock is concerned two things are set in stone.
    1)he was goku's father
    2)he rebelled against freeza
    Chances of it are slim, acknowledged .

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    Someone posts a video about Superman, and the commentary is about Goku and Dragonball. Am I on YouTube?
    Yeah! I took the discussion on a tangent. Saiyans are much relatable than kryptonians,i believe. The slave conqueror aspect is very interesting. Anyways, i do believe superman being kryptonIan royalty is pushing it. His dad being a scientist or a flash gordon figure is one thing. But, him being some kind of elite bureaucrat is bad. They already have batman and green arrow for that kind of thing. Moses was the son of slaves. Ofcourse, tarzan's parents were elites. But still, they did die with nothing and their wealth meaningless. Zorro fought for the little guy. There isn't a reason for supes to be some elite. Atleast, goku is kept the working class-manish figure.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 06-24-2020 at 10:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    That’s the day after the Fandome experience isn’t it? Good way to hopefully benefit from all the exposure DC will be getting.

Spectacular Member

I’m excited to see superman red son! I just recently watched it and I really enjoyed it. I just like the idea of superman and the other DC characters being in Russia.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Pretty disheartened that next to no one is talking about the buttery smooth animation this movie seems to have at a baseline. That moment where Superman goes to heat vision Parasite looks nearly rotoscoped it's so smooth. Just take a look at how many frames of animation and "moving parts" are in Lobo laughing and then reacting to being grabbed by Martian Manhunter. Or even the surprisingly fluid animation present with the guy going "look! Up in the sky"

This is a pretty high quality production, and I hope indicative of what to expect from these movies going forward.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    Pretty disheartened that next to no one is talking about the buttery smooth animation this movie seems to have at a baseline. That moment where Superman goes to heat vision Parasite looks nearly rotoscoped it's so smooth. Just take a look at how many frames of animation and "moving parts" are in Lobo laughing and then reacting to being grabbed by Martian Manhunter. Or even the surprisingly fluid animation present with the guy going "look! Up in the sky"

This is a pretty high quality production, and I hope indicative of what to expect from these movies going forward.
    It did look less stiff than the previous movies, but I don’t know if that’s actually a result of a budget increase or not.

the artstyle and some character designs aren't for me. so, i didn't much pay attention to animation.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

The idea of "budget" is one of the great misunderstandings of animated entertainment. An increase in money doesn't equal smoother or better animation in any instance. The defining factors are time, limitations or flexibility of the character designs, whomever is contracted out to direct, and what teams are animating.

As far as I'm aware the director for some very well directed episodes of Dream Works' Voltron Legendary Defenders show is directing the project, and the character designs seem to have been made with greater fluidity and allowances to go "off model" in mind.

This more relaxed character design has been made famous by the newest Pokemon seasons coming out now doing a full overhaul and simplification of the designs. And the quality of the episodes speak for themselves.

Another famous example is the newest Dragon Ball movie with Broly finally doing away with the largely stiff character model sheets.

So, if you look back at the overly muscle bound action figure looking New 52 inspired movies you'll likely find the reason for the stiffer animation.

The quality I mean is the level of thought here.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

The idea of "budget" is one of the great misunderstandings of animated entertainment. An increase in money doesn't equal smoother or better animation in any instance. The defining factors are time, limitations or flexibility of the character designs, whomever is contracted out to direct, and what teams are animating.

As far as I'm aware the director for some very well directed episodes of Dream Works' Voltron Legendary Defenders show is directing the project, and the character designs seem to have been made with greater fluidity and allowances to go "off model" in mind.

This more relaxed character design has been made famous by the newest Pokemon seasons coming out now doing a full overhaul and simplification of the designs. And the quality of the episodes speak for themselves.

Another famous example is the newest Dragon Ball movie with Broly finally doing away with the largely stiff character model sheets.

So, if you look back at the overly muscle bound action figure looking New 52 inspired movies you'll likely find the reason for the stiffer animation.

Yeah - but the character designs in Pokemon don't look as good. Animation is important, but the designs still need to look great too.

To be honest, I was more distracted by the characters looking out-of-sync with the backgrounds.

I think the studio they outsource the animation to is also a huge factor, especially when you compare works with the same character design. Reign of the Supermen looked and moved entirely different then Hush did and they had the same character designs.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think the studio they outsource the animation to is also a huge factor, especially when you compare works with the same character design. Reign of the Supermen looked and moved entirely different then Hush did and they had the same character designs.
    I think that's part of what Superlad was getting at; it's not just a matter of money, but a matter of the artists' talent and style. That doesn't really impact the overall cost too much, the best animator in the business and the new guy fresh outta school are all in the same tax bracket, yknow? Quality isn't necessarily tied to cost; an artist can't get better just because you pay them more.

Or so I assume, I don't know much at all about the cartoon industry.
    Last edited by Ascended; 06-27-2020 at 06:50 PM.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

One thing I’m definitely appreciative of is the brighter color palate. Supes’ world should definitely be on the more colorful side and this movie looks more reflective of that.