Page 37 of 63 FirstFirst ... 2733343536373839404147 ... LastLast

I understand he wasn't costuming as Superboy or anything. That's why I just said adventurous, not cosmic adventures. The Yacht and stuff like that, he got out and about. That he was going by Bruce's name at the time is rather irrelevant to me, point being he got out and about and did some adventurous things. And I don't really get the equation that Bruce was the one doing those things and not Clark. It was just an alias, a false identity. It was still him experiencing it. All in all though, like I said its been a while so maybe I'm overstating those early issues.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    I understand he wasn't costuming as Superboy or anything. That's why I just said adventurous, not cosmic adventures. The Yacht and stuff like that, he got out and about. That he was going by Bruce's name at the time is rather irrelevant to me, point being he got out and about and did some adventurous things. And I don't really get the equation that Bruce was the one doing those things and not Clark. It was just an alias, a false identity. It was still him experiencing it.
    I wouldn't call what clark did adventuring. He was on vacation, got stuck, pretended to be bruce wayne. It was a mistake. He didn't seek the adventure. He wasn't planning on going trip on yacht. Even if what you say is true, that's superman's department. Not kal el's. Kal el is all about culture, science and exploration, not adventures . High swash buckiling adventure is what superman identity is all about, combined with lifting weights as a strongman and kicking bullies.

Finally, He was actually trying to act like bruce wayne.I QUOTE "i am bruoooosh waaaayne". It was a chapter dedicated to critic bruce's life style. Clark basically feels out of place in the yacht and goes to cheetah. He feels sick of their disregard and so called adventures. Trust me, superman's adventures are nothing like what these guys define as adventures .

The only difference between this post crisis clark and the main stream postcrisis clark is that, this clark is peter parker.while,postcrisis superman is the goody two shoes naive boyscout farmboy that feels dated.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

I understand he wasn't costuming as Superboy or anything. That's why I just said adventurous, not cosmic adventures. The Yacht and stuff like that, he got out and about. That he was going by Bruce's name at the time is rather irrelevant to me, point being he got out and about and did some adventurous things. And I don't really get the equation that Bruce was the one doing those things and not Clark. It was just an alias, a false identity. It was still him experiencing it. All in all though, like I said its been a while so maybe I'm overstating those early issues.
    Ironically enough, the story highlights that the yacht trip was the first time he'd ever been out of Kansas or done anything like that. He has a whole breakdown about. When he did try to fly and leave the state before the yacht trip he ended up chickening out. The time when he got shot also was the last time he'd ever stepped in on something dangerous (till he goes to the city) by his own words. And as a teenager Clark would have seemingly liked a new car over his ability to fly. And during that time as a teen Clark would only use his powers on occasion. And before the yacht trip, Pete actually just assumed that Clark would stay in town forever, and he calls Clark short sighted. And on top of all of that, Lana seems to break up with him because he's not very "outgoing".

The story was about Clark growing into a more outgoing and brave person because of the people and experiences he had. He's maybe the opposite of inherently adventurous. It something that he actively works on as a point of growth.
    Last edited by Superlad93; 05-21-2020 at 02:58 PM.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Max landis said he didn't want the story to be called superman american alien, If i remember correctly. He wanted it to be clark kent:American alien. So there is that. As said, i am sick of both clark kent and kal el. When am i ever going to get a superman centered interpretation?probably never. Sheesh!

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    Ironically enough, the story highlights that the yacht trip was the first time he'd ever been out of Kansas or done anything like that. He has a whole breakdown about. When he did try to fly and leave the state before the yacht trip. The time when he got shot also was the last time he'd ever stepped in on something dangerous (till he goes to the city) by his own words. And as a teenager Clark would have seemingly liked a new car over his ability to fly. And during that time as a teen Clark would only use his powers on occasion. And before the yacht trip, Pete actually just assumed that Clark would stay in town forever, and he calls Clark short sighted. And on top of all of that, Lana seems to break up with him because he's not very "outgoing".

The story was about Clark growing into a more outgoing and brave person because of the people and experiences he had. He's maybe the opposite of inherently adventurous. It something that he actively works on as a point of growth.
    Lordy did I forget a lot then. I need to give it another read.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Lordy did I forget a lot then. I need to give it another read.
    Haha I figured that was the case.

Personally, I'm into the idea of Clark inherently being shortsighted/myopic, and him becoming more of an outgoing person is a character arc that he has to work at.

In issue 6 there's a really nice moment that ties off a thread from issue 5. It's where Pete says that back home all they talk about is whatever grand plans that they assume Clark must have being Superman and being a symbol. But they find out that Clark doesn't even plan on being Superman forever, him wearing the S is just for the off chance that a broadcast signal of him and it find its way to his birth parents, and he hasn't thought much past what he's doing now. Pete's basically flabbergasted and shocked that he's "changing the world on accident".

The idea that Superman, basically being a flying god, carries with him such a mystique that people ascribe greater meaning to his every action than there is. We even see Lex assume this in issue 5. It's basically real time mythologizing. Back in 5 Clark even says "no one's as strong as they say I am" when asked if he's as strong as people say. I'd have loved to have seen an issue of the people telling different tall tale versions of one Superman story to Clark. Probably would've been a fun riff on silver age comics.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

I forget, did Lois name him Superman in American Alien?

Nah, that was actually Clark using the name to get back at Lex at the end of issue 5 (Lex says it to Clark in issue 4), and then it seems to have stuck from there. No doubt due to word of mouth from the people who had to clean his window and big mouthed members of Lex's staff.

Longer version. I really like the tone and seeing Clark/Superman enjoying himself. The animation looks good too.

https://www.reddit.com/r/superman/co...d_movie_looks/

Quote Originally Posted by stargazer01 View Post
    Longer version. I really like the tone and seeing Clark/Superman enjoying himself. The animation looks good too.

https://www.reddit.com/r/superman/co...d_movie_looks/
    spoilers:
    Naked Superman punching Lobo .
    end of spoilers

It's official i am nostradamus or jayabaya. I literally posted about superman fighting buttnaked just yesterday.

Thanks for posting it.

Is the song we're hearing at the end the official theme? If so it's fantastic. A nice mix of somber, energetic, and grand.

I do wonder if our *ahem* "unencumbered" Clark vs Lobo fight is at the climax of the film. If so, that's kind of a bold and fresh way to go about the climax for a superhero movie, and The Big fight that likely puts Superman on the map. Very primal and freeing. Likely plays into the themes of self acceptance.

Wouldn't at all be surprised if we don't see the classic suit until the very end when he saves Lois in something unrelated to the plot and the movie ends on a shot of him fully formed.

Thanks for posting it.

Is the song we're hearing at the end the official theme? If so it's fantastic. A nice mix of somber, energetic, and grand.

I do wonder if our *ahem* "unencumbered" Clark vs Lobo fight is at the climax of the film. If so, that's kind of a bold and fresh way to go about the climax for a superhero movie, and The Big fight that likely puts Superman on the map. Very primal and freeing. Likely plays into the themes of self acceptance.

Wouldn't at all be surprised if we don't see the classic suit until the very end when he saves Lois in something unrelated to the plot and the movie ends on a shot of him fully formed.
    They are literally pulling a page out of dragon ball. Goku has had his fair share of naked matchups.

Does anyone know if it's true that this movie comes out this summer? I think the writer has it as "summer 2020" on his twitter.

Thanks for posting it.

I think the Lobo fight is the middle of the movie, since he’s using the prototype suit.

I assume the climax with the classic suit is against Parasite.