Page 16 of 63 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718192026 ... LastLast
    THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    But, still, if they were going to start developing 5G stuff I think they would have set them up in earlier films.
    Like they set up the New 52 inspired relaunch in the animated movies?

If memory serves one day they literally just said "hey we're doing this Flashpoint Paradox thing" then boom New 52 inspired animated universe.

If I had to guess, I'd say when the world is saved and rewritten in this new JLD movie, we're likely to get additions to the universe and jumps in time.

Literally the same mentality that the DC CW shows are using, so I don't get how people are so sure of this not being a thing. I mean, in the CW universe Jon's going from being a new born to being a teenager with a twin brother because if the Crisis rewrite. Why is it not possible here?
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

We had a few years of 52 before the films followed suit - if there is going to be a 5G film it won't be this year.

Sure hope this theory is wrong, I'm really looking forward to an early years Superman story.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post

If memory serves one day they literally just said "hey we're doing this Flashpoint Paradox thing" then boom New 52 inspired animated universe.

If I had to guess, I'd say when the world is saved and rewritten in this new JLD movie, we're likely to get additions to the universe and jumps in time.

Literally the same mentality that the DC CW shows are using, so I don't get how people are so sure of this not being a thing. I mean, in the CW universe Jon's going from being a new born to being a teenager with a twin brother because if the Crisis rewrite. Why is it not possible here?
    The difference is the New 52 was from the onset designed to be a "fresh start" with little to no prior history required, not that it didn't stop them from retroactively making the history more deeper by bringing in more classic stuff, while 5G is designed around a longer and more established history.

There might be some continuity changes but I'm not expecting it to be on the level of 5G to where suddenly Jon Kent and Luke Fox, with no prior buildup, are the new leads of this universe.

At least the CW shows actually established Jon as a thing before they aged him up a little. And aren't making him Superman.

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post

Plus those movies broke up Superman and Wonder Woman between movies after having it be a factor in a few, so it's not as if tight continuity and inter-movie consequence are a major thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    We had a few years of 52 before the films followed suit - if there is going to be a 5G film it won't be this year.
    Flashpoint got a movie just two years after it came out, and the idea of the New 52 - and therefore that Flashpoint was a huge story 'demanding' adaptation - was famously a fly-by-the-seat-of-their-pants last minute decision. 5G, successfully or not, has clearly been in the planning stages for considerably longer.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    The difference is the New 52 was from the onset designed to be a "fresh start" with little to no prior history required, not that it didn't stop them from retroactively making the history more deeper by bringing in more classic stuff, while 5G is designed around a longer and more established history.

There might be some continuity changes but I'm not expecting it to be on the level of 5G to where suddenly Jon Kent and Luke Fox, with no prior buildup, are the new leads of this universe.

At least the CW shows actually established Jon as a thing before they aged him up a little. And aren't making him Superman.
    I mean, "Superman's son in the future is now Superman" is an even smaller ask of potential viewers than Batman Beyond made, or Batwoman is making, or the upcoming Green Arrow and the Canaries with its time travel/alternate universe shenanigans built in from day one.
    Last edited by Dispenser Of Truth; 02-28-2020 at 07:22 PM.
    Buh-bye

They only just recently put Superman in his Reborn outfit. It usually takes a couple of years for the movies to catch up with the comics such as now when they went from having him dating WW to being with Lois. It’s not impossible but I find it unlikely. Lois and Clark aren’t even married yet in this continuity, that feels like something they could do with a movie in and of itself.

Plus they’re more or less doing their own thing. They didn’t adapt Reborn for example, or having Batman and Catwoman get together. They’re not strictly adapting the current comics anymore. Frankly I’m not sure how a Luke Fox Batman movie or a Jon Kent Superman movie would be anything but a huge flop. People aren’t exactly clamoring for either.

But I’ll be honest, I don’t really want a Jon movie. I want a Clark movie. I don’t find Jon an interesting enough character yet to carry a movie by himself. Despite its prevalence in comics they haven’t really had animated Superman origin and I’m curious to see where they go with it.
    Last edited by Vordan; 02-28-2020 at 07:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dispenser Of Truth View Post
    PI mean, "Superman's son in the future is now Superman" is an even smaller ask of potential viewers than Batman Beyond made, or Batwoman is making, or the upcoming Green Arrow and the Canaries with its time travel/alternate universe shenanigans built in from day one.
    I'll grant you Beyond and Green Arrow and the Canaries, but Batwoman is basically in the same vein as Supergirl with taking a character with actual comic material while also liberally using material from the parent they span off from.

Quote Originally Posted by Dispenser Of Truth View Post
    Plus those movies broke up Superman and Wonder Woman between movies after having it be a factor in a few, so it's not as if tight continuity and inter-movie consequence are a major thing.

Flashpoint got a movie just two years after it came out, and the idea of the New 52 - and therefore that Flashpoint was a huge story 'demanding' adaptation - was famously a fly-by-the-seat-of-their-pants last minute decision. 5G, successfully or not, has clearly been in the planning stages for considerably longer.

I mean, "Superman's son in the future is now Superman" is an even smaller ask of potential viewers than Batman Beyond made, or Batwoman is making, or the upcoming Green Arrow and the Canaries with its time travel/alternate universe shenanigans built in from day one.
    Yes, 2 years, not the year of. No way is this movie about grown up Jon as Superman in the future. It just isn't.

I don't particularly think it will be about Jon. But it's likely been known that Jon was going to be going to the Legion at the time Bendis came over to DC. So we're over two years from that point now. So the concept of Jon as a future "Superman" was likely floating around long enough. And these are pretty niche movies, they aren't really fixated on being generally accessible. So I don't think picking up a 5G type concept would really be that big of a deal for them or seen as a negative. Particularly if it was going to land around the same time that Jon presumably takes up the mantel.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    I don't particularly think it will be about Jon. But it's likely been known that Jon was going to be going to the Legion at the time Bendis came over to DC. So we're over two years from that point now. So the concept of Jon as a future "Superman" was likely floating around long enough. And these are pretty niche movies, they aren't really fixated on being generally accessible. So I don't think picking up a 5G type concept would really be that big of a deal for them or seen as a negative. Particularly if it was going to land around the same time that Jon presumably takes up the mantel.
    Besides loose adaptations a couple years apart, when has DC ever had that level of media synergy? I just don't buy it.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by stargazer01 View Post
    The infamous and controversial Grace Randolph loved Red Son. I know, she is very controversial and annoying, but I sometimes agree with her.

I'm noticing a lot of division about this movie. Some hate it because it changed things they considered very important, but others love it for how how well the drama and issues are treated. I'm intrigued! Still need to wait till next month.
    Having seen her review today, I decided to watch RED SON--even though I've never read the comic book. While it had some good ideas (and the comic I know was inspired by "Superman 2001"--a comic I love so much I went out and bought three copies of SUPERMAN 300 when it came out on the stands), I really did not like this RED SON at all. It had me guffawing at some of the character beats. They never really go into his origins and explain his upbringing--which might help explain why he becomes such a nut-job. It felt like a Cole's Notes version of a much more involved story.

But since I haven't read RED SON, I have nothing to compare it to. I'll read that book now and see how it compares. But the animated movie was such a turn-off, I actually felt sick watching it. So this isn't a reaction based on thinking about the story and then coming to conclusions about what it has to say--it's my immediate physical reaction to the experience.

https://www.ign.com/videos/justice-l...lusive-trailer

Trailer for Apokolips War is out, it looks kinda nuts.

I saw Red Son and it was alright. Goddamn Wonder Woman was annoying in this. They need to stop buddying her up with Superman, just brings out the worst versions of the character.

I think their buddy dynamic generally brings out the best in them, but that's for more true incarnations of the characters. In darker elseworlds like these, it doesn't but to play devil's advocate its not really supposed to. Red Son has always been a more nuanced take as just opposed to "evil heroes", but they still end up leaning toward a slightly darker flavor nonetheless, and in that regard it can bring about an unpleasant dynamic. Insisting on a misandrist slant didn't help either.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 03-02-2020 at 01:40 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    https://www.ign.com/videos/justice-l...lusive-trailer

Trailer for Apokolips War is out, it looks kinda nuts.
    Lois with a machine gun .