Page 30 of 63 FirstFirst ... 2026272829303132333440 ... LastLast

All those stills look really good. The animation style is a lot better than that single image made it out to be. I'd like to see it in motion to really make a judgment. I do see some of Manpul's influence in the animation as well.

I wonder if that guy Clark is bringing coffee to is Jimmy? They were more contemporaries in American Alien. I hope they do show some of the first issue in flashback, that was a really solid take and that version of the Kents and the interpretation of Smallville as all kinda in on the secret really worked for me.

I'm kind of surprised that they are really doing such a direct adaptation of American Alien. I expected it to pull some elements from it, but enough that they could kinda hand wave any connection away. But the googled proto-Superman kinda dispels any idea at deniability. Man, I wonder if they are going to have a special edition with a copy of the American Alien trade redressed to just name the artists, haha. They like the story but just want to memoryhole Landis' connection completely.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    All those stills look really good. The animation style is a lot better than that single image made it out to be. I'd like to see it in motion to really make a judgment. I do see some of Manpul's influence in the animation as well.

I wonder if that guy Clark is bringing coffee to is Jimmy? They were more contemporaries in American Alien. I hope they do show some of the first issue in flashback, that was a really solid take and that version of the Kents and the interpretation of Smallville as all kinda in on the secret really worked for me.

I'm kind of surprised that they are really doing such a direct adaptation of American Alien. I expected it to pull some elements from it, but enough that they could kinda hand wave any connection away. But the googled proto-Superman kinda dispels any idea at deniability. Man, I wonder if they are going to have a special edition with a copy of the American Alien trade redressed to just name the artists, haha. They like the story but just want to memoryhole Landis' connection completely.
    Nah that isn’t Jimmy, if it’s not just a generic Daily Planet staff member, I suspect it will be Ron Troupe. Clark is going to be an intern here, and has the nickname “coffeeboy” lol, so he basically is in the Jimmy role at the start. Given that Lois is white instead of Asian like AA, I suspect if Jimmy shows up here he will keep his normal look. And yeah I was amused, they showed comic panels from a bunch of Superman stories, but not the one they’re clearly basing this story off of.

Fantastic Member Man_of_Tomorrow's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    You didn't answer my question. If you take a part out that shows Clark having fun then something else needs to be put in it's place. Really? Petting lions? That isn't Clark having fun, that's superman having fun. There is a difference. Clark kent is the cultural american of the 21st century with friends, love life, a job, a boss and a family. What does he do for fun?it can be anything like him playing darksouls or something.if partying is bad.American alien wasn't about Superman. It was about clark kent with cameos from kal el, same as postcrisis.
    In my mind Clark Kent and Kal-El are the same person. Just because his suit isn't on doesn't mean his powers go away, or his mindset. Clark is a guy who is careful because he has to be in control of his powers. That's why he comes as socially awkward sometimes. Having fun with his powers is Clark. And excesive drinking in a yacht with strangers (not friends) acting like he is Bruce Wayne definitely isn't Clark, to me it screams "look how relatable he is" from a rich boys perspective.
    As for what I would exchange it with, it doesn't really matter because this movie isn't made specifically for me. I just commented how this aspect of AA left me in apathy. But If you really want to know how I would show Clark having fun,just to satisfly your curiosity, it would be seeing him travelling, experience cultures and for something smaller probably a road trip with his childhood friends. .

I am not saying this is the corrent answer or something but I think Clark's character was heavily influenced by Landis' in AA, especially in the self-indulgent issue 3, and knowing who Landis is, just thinking that Superman's experiences in the movie will be based on his take and self-insertion makes it creepy. That's all.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Clark is going to be an intern here, and has the nickname “coffeeboy” lol, so he basically is in the Jimmy role at the start.
    Damn. That's an incredibly strong but subtle way to build the Clark/Superman and Jimmy friendship with basically zero effort and 100% audience comprehension. Clark sees a kindred spirit in his successor as "coffeeboy", and he knows how hard it is to be the new guy, so he makes a point to really show Jim some kindness and warmth. Potentially really solid stuff there.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Astonishing Member

So this is suppose to be the origin story for Superman in a new continuity and it's starting off by saying that Superman got his ideas from Martian Manhunter and Batman? Am I understanding that correctly?
    Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory

Quote Originally Posted by The World View Post
    So this is suppose to be the origin story for Superman in a new continuity and it's starting off by saying that Superman got his ideas from Martian Manhunter and Batman? Am I understanding that correctly?
    The general concensus is that it is based on American Alien, where Clark got the idea for the suit from Batman.

I am not a fan either.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Man_of_Tomorrow View Post
    The general concensus is that it is based on American Alien, where Clark got the idea for the suit from Batman.

I am not a fan either.
    Well that's stupid but it is very modern DC where they keep trying to make him everyone and their mothers junior idk why but I guess it fits' with the modern "human" take on the character.
    Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory

Kid Clark rocking a totally 80s 'do. At this point he'd realistically be a child of the late 90s at this point but who cares.

As for the inspiration stuff, yeah its stupid if they roll with it the way Landis did, probably the only thing I disliked about the original story. I'm bummed it looks to be staying in. But so far I'm liking everything else. Besides I doubt its supposed to be an origin for a new iteration of animated continuity or anything anyway, because I don't think there is going to be a next animated continuity. At least not for a while. I think Apokolips War is ending that concept for a while. This project feels standalone.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 05-06-2020 at 02:44 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by The World View Post
    We don’t know if it’s a stand-alone or kicking off a new shared universe yet. J’onn looks to be mentoring him which I’m cool with honestly. I don’t know to what extent they’re going to have Superman “inspired” by Batman, but AA had Clark using Bruce’s cape which I don’t think will happen in this movie lol.

I'm kind of surprised no one is talking about how the Superman here is wearing the classic costume in a modern update to the character. They didn't decide to remain inspired by American Alien's DIY version of the suit.

I'm even noticing that he has the pointed cuffs that the Superman in the comics right now has.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    I'm kind of surprised no one is talking about how the Superman here is wearing the classic costume in a modern update to the character. They didn't decide to remain inspired by American Alien's DIY version of the suit.

I'm even noticing that he has the pointed cuffs that the Superman in the comics right now has.
    Probably because its easier to animate. And the slick design works better with this type of animation, which is more minimalistic.

Quote Originally Posted by Man_of_Tomorrow View Post
    Probably because its easier to animate. And the slick design works better with this type of animation, which is more minimalistic.
    Just taking away the trunks would've been even simpler and technically more modern, right? My question isn't really "why didn't they use the American Alien suit" but more so that it's interesting that in a film based off the most modern feeling Superman origin to date, that's also literally called Man of Tomorrow, they'd go for the most classic looking Superman to date (I mean, look at his hair when he's Superman). And it's not a overall look for all heroes in question (though, for reason I'll just leave at "reasons", Batman is like going classic too)because we can clearly see that J'onn is wearing paints a very stylized version of his suit.

I'm not even remotely against it, but I'm fascinated by the choice...

I guess I didn't think much of it because I've been getting a retro-futuristic vibe from this. Trunks kinda fit with the retro part.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

I get the vibe this is one off origin story like Batman Year One. American Alien doesn't have a sequel (Landis' Agent of Batman never materialized). Origins always feel like a waste of time nowadays. They're a dime a dozen.

I'm honestly more excited about Long Halloween, despite Batman being super-saturating the market.

Superman Returns?!?