Page 31 of 63 FirstFirst ... 2127282930313233343541 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    We don’t know if it’s a stand-alone or kicking off a new shared universe yet. J’onn looks to be mentoring him which I’m cool with honestly. I don’t know to what extent they’re going to have Superman “inspired” by Batman, but AA had Clark using Bruce’s cape which I don’t think will happen in this movie lol.
    Lara in the image is wearing a cape... ugh, really hope Batman didn't inspire anything.

I prefer the suit origin of the movies and Kryptonian material.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Kid Clark rocking a totally 80s 'do. At this point he'd realistically be a child of the late 90s at this point but who cares.

As for the inspiration stuff, yeah its stupid if they roll with it the way Landis did, probably the only thing I disliked about the original story. I'm bummed it looks to be staying in. But so far I'm liking everything else. Besides I doubt its supposed to be an origin for a new iteration of animated continuity or anything anyway, because I don't think there is going to be a next animated continuity. At least not for a while. I think Apokolips War is ending that concept for a while. This project feels standalone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    We don’t know if it’s a stand-alone or kicking off a new shared universe yet. J’onn looks to be mentoring him which I’m cool with honestly. I don’t know to what extent they’re going to have Superman “inspired” by Batman, but AA had Clark using Bruce’s cape which I don’t think will happen in this movie lol.
    My guess is, if they are continuing with a shared universe of films, that the initial films will mostly be standalone and not have a strong overarching continuity aside from small references and introducing new heroes/characters/elements/etc. So it's not going to be an in-your-face element.

But that's just a guess on my part. We really have no idea what the direction of the films moving forward is. They could genuinely be going back to just completely standalone films/adaptions. Butch Lukic doesn't have a twitter to answer questions like James Tucker did.
    Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    Just taking away the trunks would've been even simpler and technically more modern, right? My question isn't really "why didn't they use the American Alien suit" but more so that it's interesting that in a film based off the most modern feeling Superman origin to date, that's also literally called Man of Tomorrow, they'd go for the most classic looking Superman to date (I mean, look at his hair when he's Superman). And it's not a overall look for all heroes in question (though, for reason I'll just leave at "reasons", Batman is like going classic too)because we can clearly see that J'onn is wearing paints a very stylized version of his suit...
    Assuming the Batman of this universe properly debuts with Long Halloween (and that is admittedly a big assumption on my part) then he'll probably have to be in a classic look by default unless they really deviate from Tim Sale's art style.

Although honestly I feel like this being the classic look is just streamlining the Superman look from that last issue of American Alien like the past movies streamlined the New 52 costume.

Spectacular Member

This movie looks really cool. While I am disappointed that this likely marks the end of Jerry O'Connell voicing Superman, the animation style looks so unique. It really feels like Fliescher mixed with that Ruby Spears cartoon.

I'm also really excited to see Parasite again. He's one of my favorite Superman villains and I'm glad he's gonna get some love.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Man_of_Tomorrow View Post
    In my mind Clark Kent and Kal-El are the same person. Just because his suit isn't on doesn't mean his powers go away, or his mindset. Clark is a guy who is careful because he has to be in control of his powers. That's why he comes as socially awkward sometimes. Having fun with his powers is Clark. And excesive drinking in a yacht with strangers (not friends) acting like he is Bruce Wayne definitely isn't Clark, to me it screams "look how relatable he is" from a rich boys perspective.
    As for what I would exchange it with, it doesn't really matter because this movie isn't made specifically for me. I just commented how this aspect of AA left me in apathy. But If you really want to know how I would show Clark having fun,just to satisfly your curiosity, it would be seeing him travelling, experience cultures and for something smaller probably a road trip with his childhood friends. .

I am not saying this is the corrent answer or something but I think Clark's character was heavily influenced by Landis' in AA, especially in the self-indulgent issue 3, and knowing who Landis is, just thinking that Superman's experiences in the movie will be based on his take and self-insertion makes it creepy. That's all.
    Idenitity is a difficult concept.they might overlap.But, that doesn’t mean they don't have distinctions. I can be a father and a son. As a father, i might do something. As a son, i might do something else. Clark kent and kal el aren't the same.Superman identity is'nt the same as them either.Even if you say the real clark kent is superman like in goldenage or postcrisis with or without fake persona or the clumsy act. That doesn't change the fact that they are two different identities. It's only states saying as a father and me as son are the same person. That's true, i don't have multiple personalities. But, that doesn’t mean my identities as father and son became one. I said nothing regarding a suit.

Any action plays into feeding certain identity in him. You provided something that plays into the superman - physical specimen aka the strongman. You are right. That is fun. And it is great. It does nothing for the other two identities. See, the guy has three main identities with different functions relevant to the story. He is the man of two worlds. If every identity in him becomes the same there wouldn't be a conflict in him. I have no problem with changing or cutting a scene. But, another scene that does the same purpose and feeds the same identity needs to be there.

Finally now coming back to the story, you basically missed out on the part that clark was impersonating bruce wayne on the yact screaming "i am bruuuce wayne!!!!". So, you complaining clark kent partying like an richman is actually, true. It is a criticism on bruce wayne.Sure,Clark had fun doing that.But, He also felt out of place and certain things made him uncomfortable . That's why he was drawn to another person who is as out of place as him. Cheetah. It wasn't just a hook-up.

Btw,that scene where he pets a lion plays into superman identity because of two things. It's a homage to both tarzan and superman the circus strongman.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 05-06-2020 at 11:21 PM.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Although honestly I feel like this being the classic look is just streamlining the Superman look from that last issue of American Alien like the past movies streamlined the New 52 costume.
    If it looked at all remotely like the American Alien suit (like the new 52 and Reborn suits did), I'd probably agree it was just streamlining. But we see him in a proto suit that's extremely evocative of the one in American Alien. Not exact, no, but very clearly inspired by. So I dunno.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Quote Originally Posted by The World View Post
    So this is suppose to be the origin story for Superman in a new continuity and it's starting off by saying that Superman got his ideas from Martian Manhunter and Batman? Am I understanding that correctly?
    Not exactly - all of that is the general consensus except for the part about it being in a new continuity. I don't think they're starting a new continuity so soon after ending the last one, and this is probably just a standalone. Certainly my hope anyways. There's nothing to indicate this is the start of a new animated continuity going forward, just wild speculation and rumor.

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    If it looked at all remotely like the American Alien suit (like the new 52 and Reborn suits did), I'd probably agree it was just streamlining. But we see him in a proto suit that's extremely evocative of the one in American Alien. Not exact, no, but very clearly inspired by. So I dunno.
    Wasn't the American Alien suit just a more armored version of the classic look? So I feel like just using the classic look here is a streamlining approach.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Not exactly - all of that is the general consensus except for the part about it being in a new continuity. I don't think they're starting a new continuity so soon after ending the last one, and this is probably just a standalone. Certainly my hope anyways. There's nothing to indicate this is the start of a new animated continuity going forward, just wild speculation and rumor.
    My theory is DC might be trying to have their cake and eat it too now, and we probably won't know for sure until a few movies down the line.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Kid Clark rocking a totally 80s 'do. At this point he'd realistically be a child of the late 90s at this point but who cares.

As for the inspiration stuff, yeah its stupid if they roll with it the way Landis did, probably the only thing I disliked about the original story. I'm bummed it looks to be staying in. But so far I'm liking everything else. Besides I doubt its supposed to be an origin for a new iteration of animated continuity or anything anyway, because I don't think there is going to be a next animated continuity. At least not for a while. I think Apokolips War is ending that concept for a while. This project feels standalone.
    you’re probably right, but let’s say this is a new continuity maybe the stylized quasi retroness is intentional? Like Long Halloween’s Tim Sale art always had a bit of a retro aesthetic too. Not sure if I want a new continuity or not. I think it might be cool to instead of starting with a JL crossover, to actually give each member their own movie before teaming up.
    Anyway American Alien is great despite its creator apparently being a dick. But even if they wanted to do straight adaptation it probably wouldn’t be a good fit since each issue seemed to be someone stand alone snapshots at different points in his life rather than a 3 act structure you’d usually get from a movie.

My theory is DC might be trying to have their cake and eat it too now, and we probably won't know for sure until a few movies down the line.
    Maybe, but I doubt it. We'll probably get another attempt at a shared continuity again down the line, but this we-wanted-an-American-Alien-adaptation-but-stupid-Landis project and the two part Long Halloween adaptation all scream nothing but 100% out of continuity stand alone films. The "they're starting a new shared universe right away first film out" thing just sounds like empty fervent wishing maybe? I really don't see this as the start to a new ongoing universe.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Maybe, but I doubt it. We'll probably get another attempt at a shared continuity again down the line, but this we-wanted-an-American-Alien-adaptation-but-stupid-Landis project and the two part Long Halloween adaptation all scream nothing but 100% out of continuity stand alone films. The "they're starting a new shared universe right away first film out" thing just sounds like empty fervent wishing maybe? I really don't see this as the start to a new ongoing universe.
    See, I might have thought so, but the fact that Batman is acknowledged in this film and the way they could work Long Halloween doesn't have me convinced there's not a possibility.

But it's probably too early to tell.

See, I might have thought so, but the fact that Batman is acknowledged in this film and the way they could work Long Halloween doesn't have me convinced there's not a possibility.

But it's probably too early to tell.
    Not really - Batman was acknowledged in American Alien, which this is drawing from. And there's nothing to indicate they'll work this with Long Halloween - just because we fans can theorize a way it could be done is no reason to suspect or believe it will happen. That's just a weird assumption to make that because both movies include an early days Batman means they'll connect. It's just a matter of which classic stories are left to adapt.

Wasn't the American Alien suit just a more armored version of the classic look? So I feel like just using the classic look here is a streamlining approach.
    Totally possible. Completely possible. Honestly, this isn't even me debating or arguing your point. I'm just saying it's an odd choice when they've already done a fairly comic accurate proto suit.

And slightly related, there's also the weird choice for his hair as Superman and kid Clark. Sacred Knight pointed out that Clark's hair as a kid looked particularly dated, and I've found it odd that they'd go for such a strictly classic look to Clark's hair as Superman. It's especially strange when American Alien featured pretty modern and youthful cuts for him as Superman, and I imagine a few strands of hair in his face to denote his youth wouldn't make animation too much harder.

Someone said that there was a retro look to the film, but I'm not really seeing that in anything outside of Clark himself. Ma and Pa look like a modern older couple, Lois looks modern, Clark as an intern looks modern and young with his work-casual look (same as the comic). I'm not complaining about it, mind you. I'm just pointing it out as what seems to be a choice. And I'm not speculating on the actual why for the moment.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

I agree. And to add to your point about Batman being acknowledge, lets not forget about J'onn being so intertwined as to be the one to show Clark where he's from. You can't really pin that on "well, it's sort of like the comic" I feel. They could've easily kept it similar to the comic where they let Lobo pull the rug from under Clark and break his heart just before the final brawl. But instead they're doing it like this. And it's not like Martian Manhunter is boosting sales here.

I totally agree and think they won't acknowledge it as a shared universe for a bit. We'll just happen to have been watching a shared universe all along.

Edit: sorry, wrong thread :/
    Last edited by stargazer01; 05-07-2020 at 10:23 PM.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

I look forward to the publicity interviews for this movie just to watch the tap dancing around Max Landis being a colossal douchebag, which everyone already knew, but we all ignored because he had a lot of Hollywood buzz for a few years.

I haven't re-read American Alien since it first came out, and didn't really care for it because I couldn't separate my extreme distaste for Landis from the story being told, despite some really amazing art. I think I will wait until after I watch this movie to revisit it. Hopefully, the writers are using more than just Landis as an inspiration for this new animated adaptation. I think there's some great stuff in American Alien as long as they tone down the more irritating bits that Landis introduced.

A more everyman approach to Superman could work. I just thought Landis was trying waaaaay too hard. It felt like pandering to me, but I'm sure that stuff could be fixed in the Man of Tomorrow adaptation.