Page 42 of 63 FirstFirst ... 3238394041424344454652 ... LastLast

Looks decent, animation is better than I thought it would look but not so sure on the voice for Superman.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lvenger View Post
    As much as I enjoy Birthright, the S standing for hope is a strange modern retcon for the House of El's sigil.

I liked the trailer more than I thought I would. I'm one of the few who don't like the American Alien comic but this trailer appears to take all the good ideas of that series without including any of the bad ones.
    I didn't care for AA that much either so I'm content with them only taken some aspects from it.

Incredible Member

Story looks good, animation is a bit iffy and the voice acting sounds great.
    Wonder what the alien is?
    And while I was okay with the "S means hope" I can see why they would distance themselves from that.

BANNED

After seeing the trailer I am the only one who would like to be comic (canon), animation or cinema, a young clark who begins as clark (costume) and superman, and tells that story and does not use it as a simple platform to reach the superman that we all know.

Whoa! That looks awesome! The character designs are so sleek. Really happy to see Lobo and Martian Manhunter too. Day one pre-order for me!

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Looks decent, animation is better than I thought it would look but not so sure on the voice for Superman.

I didn't care for AA that much either so I'm content with them only taken some aspects from it.
    I'm pleasantly surprised to find someone else who's not keen on AA. Everywhere I go, people love this comic. But this movie only take some inspiration from the latest trailer which suits me.

Quote Originally Posted by ssupes View Post
    And while I was okay with the "S means hope" I can see why they would distance themselves from that.
    The purple guy is Parasite.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Given the fact that this is clearly based on AA, I'm torn on whether or not to get it. Given Landis "problematic" history.
    Assassinate Putin!

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    Given the fact that this is clearly based on AA, I'm torn on whether or not to get it. Given Landis "problematic" history.
    It's only loosely based on it. If anything, buy it to support superman ip so thst we get more animated stuff.

Astonishing Member

Eh...I think one can separate the art from the artist when it comes to these matters, and it’s not like Max Landis is writing the thing. It’s loosely based on his work, and he isn’t involved in the film in any capacity(that we know of). If you buy this movie, you’re supporting DC/Warner Bros, not Max Landis(who’s probably not even going to get credited, let alone get paid for this movie). So I’m not certainly going to let this prevent me from checking the movie out as this looks like it could be the best Superman movie we’ve gotten in a very long time.
    Last edited by Amadeus Arkham; 06-23-2020 at 03:46 PM.
    "I love mankind...it's people I can't stand!!"

- Charles Schultz.

Quote Originally Posted by ssupes View Post
    They didn't really distance it though - the sneak peek showed scenes to suggest it is still the Kryptonian symbol for hope. It can mean both things.

I don’t blame anyone for passing, but for what’s its worth, Landis does not seem to be involved in the actual making of this movie. If the movie flops the takeaway won’t be “don’t use stuff made by a sexual harasser” but “Superman doesn’t sell”. I wish we had more options but unfortunately we don’t.

Superfan Through The Ages BBally's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GreatKungLao View Post
    I'm really digging the retro-Anime like aesthetics of the character designs used in the movie.
    No matter how many reboots, new origins, reinterpretations or suit redesigns. In the end, he will always be SUPERMAN

Credit for avatar goes to zclark

Quote Originally Posted by GreatKungLao View Post
    This looks like a really strong Superman origin story movie .

Criss sounds solid as Supes, and Ike Amadi and Ryan Hurst sound perfect as Martian Manhunter and Lobo. I love that J'onn is getting such a major role in this. He hasn't felt this prominent since Crisis on Two Earths.

I wonder if the blonde reporter on the TV is Cat...

My only nitpick is that sometimes the characters look a little out-of-sync with the backgrounds? Am I the only one who sees this?

Parasite looks more alien then I was expecting. Kind of reminds me of his Justice League Action look. Speaking of JLA, Piotr Michael is reprising Perry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    They didn't really distance it though - the sneak peek showed scenes to suggest it is still the Kryptonian symbol for hope. It can mean both things.
    Yeah, I don't see why it can't be both.

I thought it looked pretty solid for a direct-to-DvD cartoon. Didn't really need yet another origin story, but....whatever.

I have no idea how DC usually deals with royalties, but this film isn't called American Alien and looks like it's only borrowing some of the ideas from AA, so it's likely not a whole, "proper" adaptation. What're the odds of Landis getting anything from this at all?

You do what you gotta do and what you feel is right, of course. But think about it this way too; you can boycott the movie, and in doing so avoid the possibility of Landis maybe getting five cents from you in royalties he might not even be able to collect in the first place. But boycotting also means you're not supporting all the animators, voice actors, directors, and all the other people who *actually* put this product together. Not to mention, you won't be supporting Superman.

Or you can buy the movie, help support those good people who made it, support our favorite hero, get a product you might enjoy....and maybe, possibly, depending on contracts and content and a bunch of other things we don't know.....maybe Landis will get a nickle from you too.

So you just gotta ask yourself; is making sure Landis doesn't get any support from you important enough to withhold your support to other people? Is that important enough to pass on a quality Superman product (especially keeping in mind how rare those can be)?

I'm not a cartoon guy; the only way I'll buy this is if my kids want to watch it. So no judgement from me either way. But just remember; a lot of people worked hard to make this, not Landis. Hell, Landis probably had nothing to do with this film at all.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    In the past I've never really minded it, but as of late I've began to feel the S standing for hope is too heavy handed. I'm over it. He starts to stand for hope to the people because of his actions, not because a symbol previously says so. I have no problem with either a standard El crest, or the painfully obvious that it just stands for Superman. So this is nice. Equally cool that he shows no qualms about also referring to himself as Kal-El. Very non post-Crisis in feel, and that's a very good thing to me.
    I felt the exact same way, thay always came across as overthinking the rationale for why he dons the S-symbol and trying to add an extra layer of significance to what is simply a classic superhero emblem. Original Golden Age Superman dons the symbol because he calls himself Superman first, which I like better than him wearing that Symbol because it’s from his home planet, and means something else there.
    Last edited by Amadeus Arkham; 06-23-2020 at 07:58 PM.
    "I love mankind...it's people I can't stand!!"

- Charles Schultz.