Page 43 of 63 FirstFirst ... 3339404142434445464753 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Amadeus Arkham View Post
    I felt the exact same thing, actually. It never really made much sense, and always came across as overthinking the rationale for why he dons the S-symbol. Original Golden Age Superman dons the symbol because he calls himself Superman first, which I like better than him wearing that Symbol because it’s from his home planet.
    I think it creates some nice connective tissue and a sense of legacy with Krypton and the House of El. But obviously everyone has a different take on it .

Quote Originally Posted by Amadeus Arkham View Post
    I felt the exact same way, thay always came across as overthinking the rationale for why he dons the S-symbol and trying to add an extra layer of significance to what is simply a classic superhero emblem. Original Golden Age Superman dons the symbol because he calls himself Superman first, which I like better than him wearing that Symbol because it’s from his home planet, and means something else there.
    The origin of it being more than just “S for Superman” comes from the Donner movies. Brando wanted to wear the S-shield, so they made it the official House El crest. Waid than added the backstory that it was a symbol of hope for Birthright. I’m cool with Supes honoring his heritage with the crest, but really it’s an S for Superman, and I like seeing Clark embrace that as well.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think it creates some nice connective tissue and a sense of legacy with Krypton and the House of El. But obviously everyone has a different take on it .
    It being just an s was wayyy awesome. The guy being made into some royalty is seriously bizzare. His dad is a scientist. That doesn't make him royalty. Although, i would have had clark intending it be s for Strongman. But, then people(lois) being like "lame,How about Superman?".

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    It being just an s was wayyy awesome. The guy being made into some royalty is seriously bizzare. His dad is a scientist. That doesn't make him royalty. Although, i would have had clark intending it be s for Strongman. But, then people(lois) being like "lame,How about Superman?".
    This is insulting to Lois' character considering Clark doesn't come up with his own moniker before Lois names him "Superman". You imply she looks down on the character and whatever he believes in of himself.

Quote Originally Posted by rpmaluki View Post
    This is insulting to Lois' character considering Clark doesn't come up with his own moniker before Lois names him "Superman". You imply she looks down on the character and whatever he believes in of himself.
    How is it insulting to anyone? Nah! It's not like it's about intelligence. Intelligent people can come up with lame names and stuff. It isn't meant to be serious anyways. Besides, it's the people who started calling him superman.George Taylor is the first one to verbalise him as "superman". Clark's reaction to that is "what! ".He was an urban legend.He didn't want his news on paper and actively tried to drown any reports. How does she look down on him? Calling yourself Strongman isn't exactly catchy. I also wanted a tangible reason why he wears the suit. That's what he sees himself as mostly.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 06-24-2020 at 08:09 AM.

Science royalty .
    Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Never thought I'd see Lobo and Parasite on the cover of a Superman film .

Science royalty .
    Bardock is also a scientist. Still very much a slave to his society and times he lived in. Jor l is similar. He is tied to krypton's fate.He worked as any other person in his world. Its just he was good at his job.If he wasn't a slave to that world he could have saved it. Its part of the cynical view of superman's creators. Them believing a person entrenched in a world would only be as good as the world allows them to be. Superman can't exactly be boxed in. So he should be someone ahead of the world itself. Hence, the man of tomorrow. But, that doesn’t make him Royalty.

Also, goku is an idiot. Apple can fall from the tree.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 06-24-2020 at 08:25 AM.

Bardock is also a scientist. Still very much a slave to his society and times he lived in. Jor l is similar. He is tied to krypton's fate.If he wasn't a slave to that world he could have saved it. Its part of the cynical view of superman's creators. Them believing a person entrenched in a world would only be as good as the world allows them to be. Superman can't exactly be boxed in. So he should be someone ahead of the world itself. Hence, the man of tomorrow. But, that doesn’t make him Royalty.
    I wouldn't compare Krypton to the Saiyans.

Astonishing Member

Bardock is also a scientist. Still very much a slave to his society and times he lived in. Jor l is similar. He is tied to krypton's fate.He worked as any other person in his world. Its just he was good at his job.If he wasn't a slave to that world he could have saved it. Its part of the cynical view of superman's creators. Them believing a person entrenched in a world would only be as good as the world allows them to be. Superman can't exactly be boxed in. So he should be someone ahead of the world itself. Hence, the man of tomorrow. But, that doesn’t make him Royalty.

Also, goku is an idiot. Apple can fall from the tree.
    Is this a retcon?
    Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory

I wouldn't compare Krypton to the Saiyans.
    Why? It's not like these guys haven't tried to build an army and never thought of colonisation. Only the difference will be, saiyans were slaves themselves.So saiyans would be atleast redeemable.
    Quote Originally Posted by The World View Post
    Is this a retcon?
    This is toriyama's origin. Dragon ball minus in broly movie. Bardock wanted redemption of sorts, so he sends his son away figuring out freeza planning to destroy the planet.Goku was never sent to conquer earth,eventhough saiyans actively did that. Broly was exiled to planet vampa. They said toriyama's script would have made a 3 hour movie. So they chopped it down to have important events only. The older movie with bardock "futuresight" wasn't canon.spoilers:
    Also, goku finally admits to his saiyan heritage in the movie.
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 06-24-2020 at 09:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    One of the more animalistic-looking Parasites.

Nice to see Parasite, but that design is a bit generic, so much so that without context it's hard to tell who it is.

Maybe as a rule of thumb, if you see the color purple in a Superman story, assume it's Parasite, Lois, or a tribute to Prince.

Why? It's not like these guys haven't tried to build an army and never thought of colonisation. Only the difference will be, saiyans were slaves themselves.So saiyans would be atleast redeemable.
    I just don't think the races are that comparable aside from in a very broad sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    Nice to see Parasite, but that design is a bit generic, so much so that without context it's hard to tell who it is.

Maybe as a rule of thumb, if you see the color purple in a Superman story, assume it's Parasite, Lois, or a tribute to Prince.
    His design looks more distinctive in full compared to the cover.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by The World View Post
    Is this a retcon?
    This isn’t a retcon because it was never canon. The old DBZ Ocean Dub was the one to purport the idea that Bardock was a scientist(like Jor-El). This has never been said in the original Japanese language version of the series in either anime or manga form. This was false information from a dub that wasn’t very faithful to the Japanese scripts.
    Last edited by Amadeus Arkham; 06-24-2020 at 11:43 AM.
    "I love mankind...it's people I can't stand!!"

- Charles Schultz.