Page 56 of 63 FirstFirst ... 646525354555657585960 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Yup. Bomer is in it, too. Christmas came early.
    Alan Scott? Kind of obvious .

movie was decent kinda spoilers:
    weird that he learn his orgin thru martian manhunter sucks that Batman beat him in terms of being the first superhero too
    end of spoilers

Also is this the new animated DC universe as well?
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    movie was decent kinda spoilers:
    weird that he learn his orgin thru martian manhunter sucks that Batman beat him in terms of being the first superhero too
    end of spoilers

Also is this the new animated DC universe as well?
    They’re saying no for right now. Assume it’s just a standalone.

Extraordinary Member

So to those who have seen it, is Man of Tomorrow based on American Alien?

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jcogginsa View Post
    So to those who have seen it, is Man of Tomorrow based on American Alien?
    Vaguely. It has elements of it but it's not really an adaption.

Extraordinary Member

Vaguely. It has elements of it but it's not really an adaption.
    What elements, and how prominent are they?

It looking like an American Alien adaptation killed my interest in it when the trailers came out

Quote Originally Posted by Jcogginsa View Post
    What elements, and how prominent are they?

It looking like an American Alien adaptation killed my interest in it when the trailers came out
    Uses Lobo and Parasite. Clark wears the “protosuit” from AA. That’s pretty much it to be honest.

Yeah, its much less of an inspiration than those first screens led us to believe. It was almost literally just those three things.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

I saw it, and did not love it. The first 2 acts were largely fantastic, got all the right stuff from American Alien down. But the third act was pretty bad imo.
    spoilers:
    Martian Manhunter’s fake out death was really cheap. And what the hell was the message they were trying to go with Parasite? Rudy, while obviously a tragic character, totally murdered a bunch of innocent people. That was obviously why the humans were justifiably afraid of him. Why was Clark trying to spin it into a xenophobic thing? That was so forced and dumb. Lobo was cool but once again 3rd act went a really forced direction between him, J’onn and Kal that did not land at all.
    end of spoilers
    Lois and Perry were the best parts of this one. Clark/Superman was also done really great spoilers:
    even if I didn’t love his dependency on getting so close to the sun or his bad speech at the end.
    end of spoilers but I did appreciate that there was a real distinction between the two alter egos.
    3.5/5
    Last edited by OpaqueGiraffe17; 08-23-2020 at 09:37 PM.

Speaking of the alter egos, I appreciate how each fed into the other. At no point did one of them feel like an act, but more of a facet. That was pretty refreshing.

Speaking of the alter egos, I appreciate how each fed into the other. At no point did one of them feel like an act, but more of a facet. That was pretty refreshing.
    Yeah, kinda of reminds me of the current tv version, where he seems like he’s somehow genuinely more clumsy and nervous while in Clark-mode rather than intentionally putting on an act to throw people off. Which is strange but interesting.

Feels like embracing the philosophy that both Superman and Clark are valid parts of Kal’s “true” self. I was glad to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Feels like embracing the philosophy that both Superman and Clark are valid parts of Kal’s “true” self. I was glad to see it.
    This was my take. It was so satisfying and didn't strip half the character away to make him seem more focused.

I was really looking forward to this movie and... it was bad. What a disappointment. Just felt like mess of random ideas thrown together in another attempt at Superman's origin.

If you're going to do an adaptation of his origin again, why not pull from Birthright or For All Seasons? Even a straight-up 1:1 adaptation of American Alien would have been better than this.

I hope this film isn't the basis for the new animated DCU. If so, yikes.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Just watched it. That is a very mixed bag. There's a lot of good stuff. And there's a lot that falls flat.

I hope it does well, but this is certainly not the slam dunk I was hoping it was going to be.

The 3rd act is a disaster.