Page 62 of 63 FirstFirst ... 1252585960616263 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    So it looks like spoilers:
    Man of Tomorrow is indeed the first in a new connected universe given the leaks I’ve heard about JSA. Cool, hope we get another movie with the MoT cast! I liked all the VAs, especially want more Quinto Lex down the line.
    end of spoilers
    Again, whoever was pulling for that film to be a "stealth" start of a new shared universe, congratulations, you've won!

Meanwhile I'm dreading The Long Halloween, which is a movie I should be hyped for, and am just back to not being confident with the animation line again. I thought the dark era was over...

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Batman: Soul of the Dragon suggests otherwise, unless that was the last one to use a different style? God I hope that's not true, that would suck greatly.
    Batman Soul of the Dragon was done in Timm's style, wasn't it?

At least that's what it looked like to me.

They got new designs for the main characters, but all the background stuff is using previously established character designs, thereby saving them a lot of money.

Which is exactly what they did with the Bourassa designs and are now doing with the new designs established by Man of Tomorrow, who I don't know who the main character designer is.

I know Otto Shmidt did design work for Justice Society: World War II though
    Last edited by Bored at 3:00AM; 04-28-2021 at 01:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    Batman Soul of the Dragon was done in Timm's style, wasn't it?

At least that's what it looked like to me.
    No, no it wasn't. Did you watch the movie? I mean, maybe it was slightly similar in the faces if you squint, but that's about the extent of any similarity.

They got new designs for the main characters, but all the background stuff is using previously established character designs, thereby saving them a lot of money.

Which is exactly what they did with the Bourassa designs and are now doing with the new designs established by Man of Tomorrow, who I don't know who the main character designer is.

I know Otto Shmidt did design work for Justice Society: World War II though
    Honestly I don't notice background characters as much, but they still weren't from the DCAU style. Maybe I need to rewatch it, but I just don't see it.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Again, whoever was pulling for that film to be a "stealth" start of a new shared universe, congratulations, you've won!
    It would be wrong of me to gloat.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Well I just got spoiled on one aspect so fair warning I don’t know how huge a twist this is supposed to be since I haven’t seen the movie, but it’s definitely doing major setup: spoilers:
    Barry doesn’t travel back in time, he travels to another world. There’s a Golden Age Superman on the JS world who can’t fly and is much weaker, he shows up to destroy some Nazi planes. And Barry is from the same world as MoT Superman. JS basically establishes a multiverse and a shared universe I guess.
    end of spoilers
    very interesting. if spoilers:
    the multiverse is involved, could they explain down the line what happened to the new 52 universe without this actually being a new timeline that was once same as the past movies?
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by OpaqueGiraffe17 View Post
    very interesting. if spoilers:
    the multiverse is involved, could they explain down the line what happened to the new 52 universe without this actually being a new timeline that was once same as the past movies?
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    I'm assuming this is just a rebooted Earth-Prime from the original animated continuity, but there might be a universe where Apokolips War didn't happen.
    end of spoilers

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

No, no it wasn't. Did you watch the movie? I mean, maybe it was slightly similar in the faces if you squint, but that's about the extent of any similarity.

Honestly I don't notice background characters as much, but they still weren't from the DCAU style. Maybe I need to rewatch it, but I just don't see it.
    If they're doing their job right, you shouldn't notice it. ��

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    It would be wrong of me to gloat.
    Feel free, it's not like I'm above bemoaning this disappointment. It really adds nothing to me - whereas you may feel excited, I'm back to where I was last time - an inability to feel hope or excitement for the in universe films, and dread whenever they announce a storyline I like praying to god that it's the one film a year that's an elseworlds. Sadly this time, it isn't. A story I like I've now turned cold to as far as expectations are. Basically I'm going to be pleasantly surprised and grateful if it doesn't suck. Not good, not great, just doesn't suck has now become a victory.
    Yay shared universe, isn't this just the greatest...

Sorry if I'm taking the moaning too far, but I really, really, really hated the last shared universe as a piece of shit. I've no reason to look at this in a positive light.

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    If they're doing their job right, you shouldn't notice it. ��
    Maybe? Still, the main character's didn't look like Timm's style at all.

It looked like the quasi-Timm style of other Elseworlds movies to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    It looked like the quasi-Timm style of other Elseworlds movies to me.
    I really don't see it. Then again, I don't know what other Elseworlds movies you think look like Timm's style. I mean, Gods and Monsters obviously, as well as the actual DCAU continuations like Batman and Harley Quinn or Justice League vs the Fatal Five. But The Killing Joke, Assault on Arkham, Gotham By Gaslight, Red Son don't look quasi-Timm at all to me.

I really like Criss’ voice for Clark so I’m excited at the chance to see him play Clark more, I hope he gets another solo done the line.
    I really don't see it. Then again, I don't know what other Elseworlds movies you think look like Timm's style. I mean, Gods and Monsters obviously, as well as the actual DCAU continuations like Batman and Harley Quinn or Justice League vs the Fatal Five. But The Killing Joke, Assault on Arkham, Gotham By Gaslight, Red Son don't look quasi-Timm at all to me.
    We’ll have to disagree there all of those, except maybe Arkham which looked like the New 52 and TKJ which badly aped Bolland, reminded me of Timm’s style.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

I really like Criss’ voice for Clark so I’m excited at the chance to see him play Clark more, I hope he gets another solo done the line.

We’ll have to disagree there all of those, except maybe Arkham which looked like the New 52 and TKJ which badly aped Bolland, reminded me of Timm’s style.
    I didn't think Red Son or Gotham by Gaslight looked like the Timm/DCAU style, so yeah, agree to disagree.

I wasn't won over by Criss as Superman, but I didn't dislike him either. Basically he just came across as an average, acceptable voice for the character. He held his own, he sounded like Superman, but it didn't strike me as particularly great among the Superman voice actors.

That said, trying to decide which Superman VA's from these animated movies nailed Clark best...hmm...I'm not sure which is my favorite. Barring Tim Daly (because including DCAU actors seems unfair because nostalgia) it'd be difficult for me to pick favorites for Superman for some reason. Like, I'd have an easier time with Batman, Wonder Woman, Flash, and Green Lantern for some reason than picking out a truly standout voice for Superman...

I didn't think Red Son or Gotham by Gaslight looked like the Timm/DCAU style, so yeah, agree to disagree.
    Not like an exact match, but that's why I called it Timm-esque and I feel like Gotham by Gaslight and Red Son had similar character designs.
    I wasn't won over by Criss as Superman, but I didn't dislike him either. Basically he just came across as an average, acceptable voice for the character. He held his own, he sounded like Superman, but it didn't strike me as particularly great among the Superman voice actors.

That said, trying to decide which Superman VA's from these animated movies nailed Clark best...hmm...I'm not sure which is my favorite. Barring Tim Daly (because including DCAU actors seems unfair because nostalgia) it'd be difficult for me to pick favorites for Superman for some reason. Like, I'd have an easier time with Batman, Wonder Woman, Flash, and Green Lantern for some reason than picking out a truly standout voice for Superman...
    I thought Mark Harmon and Jerry O'Connel did a solid job.

I also thought Criss was a good, young, Superman.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Not like an exact match, but that's why I called it Timm-esque and I feel like Gotham by Gaslight and Red Son had similar character designs.

I thought Mark Harmon and Jerry O'Connel did a solid job.

I also thought Criss was a good, young, Superman.
    Agree to disagree on the art stuff, but yeah, Harmon and O'Connel did do a good job.