Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default New 100-page giants launching in September.

$4.99, minimum 24 pages new material, and there's more than 11 titles in the line!

That explains the cancellations of Teen Titans Go and Scooby-Doo Team-Up.

What the heck is Ghosts?
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Supernatural anthology series from the 70s

Attachment 84784

Incredible Member

Will these be USA only again?

They do look a great idea. I'd def buy Swampthing one

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by iron chimp View Post
    Will these be USA only again?

They do look a great idea. I'd def buy Swampthing one
    They will be available in two versions with different covers: Diamond accounts (comic shops) and mass market (regular retail). So i assume the comic shop version will be available internationally, with the retail version probably being USA only again.

Ghosts kind of sounds interesting to me. It's non-superhero stuff.

Sounds good... I loved the 100 page giants from the early/mid 1970’s, you’d get some great golden age reprints... Still got loads of them and will certainly have a look at these.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Brad View Post
    They will be available in two versions with different covers: Diamond accounts (comic shops) and mass market (regular retail). So i assume the comic shop version will be available internationally, with the retail version probably being USA only again.

Ghosts kind of sounds interesting to me. It's non-superhero stuff.
    I will try adding to my pull list in UK and see what happens.

Yes Ghosts looks interesting too - will wait for press release to see what it is.

A good initiative

Spectacular Member

Having kid oriented 100 Page Giants like Scooby Doo and Teen Titans Go! makes a lot of sense, I imagine it's more appealing for parents to buy a comic for their kids that are slightly more expensive but have more pages.

Quote Originally Posted by JonaX View Post
    Having kid oriented 100 Page Giants like Scooby Doo and Teen Titans Go! makes a lot of sense, I imagine it's more appealing for parents to buy a comic for their kids that are slightly more expensive but have more pages.
    "New to them" is a powerful selling point, especially for new readers. If "graphic novel" trades are increasing in value, a book like this could provide a cheaper introduction to a character and their stories. Gaining of new readers seems like a key objective for DC (and Marvel).

Quote Originally Posted by Brad View Post
    I thought DC ended its offering of non-comic book shop versions of single-issue comic books in general here in the U.S. a while ago?
    Haven't seen any newsstand versions in a while, and those Walmart-only giant-size books weren't even offered in all Walmart locations.

(Also, if Scooby-Doo Team-Up is now cancelled, I might not be buying any new DC comic books any longer . . . )

They'll still be in Walmart like the previous set of 100 page giants, though you're right, everything I've heard says distribution was spotty, and I can't see it being any different this time. But now they'll also be in your LCS, and I assume digital as well.

Yeah, Scooby-Doo Team-Up ends in September. I bet it's been absorbed into this new Scooby-Doo 100 Page Comic Giant, along with Scooby's other book, Scooby-Doo, Where Are You.
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

One other problem when DC says "New stories plus classic reprints": how are they defining "classic"? Are they going back to stuff from the pre-DiDio years, or basically just reprinting stories from the post-Flashpoint era again?

That'll vary per title. I would imagine that Scooby's would just start Where Are You and/or Team-Up from the beginning, while also running new stories. Ghosts would certainly be rerunning the original series alongside a modern update - I suppose the other reprints in that title will be random horror. DC Superhero Girls is the trickiest, as it's only been around for a few years. Maybe titles like Batgirl and Supergirl will serve as it's backups. The core superheroes will probably use stuff from the 2000s and 2010s like the previous Giants. I'd be surprised if anything before Crisis (i.e. the late 80s) is used.

It's nice to see them expanding on different DC/Warner properties, like DCSHG and Scooby-Doo .

Cool stuff, i like those big books.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    That'll vary per title. I would imagine that Scooby's would just start Where Are You and/or Team-Up from the beginning, while also running new stories. Ghosts would certainly be rerunning the original series alongside a modern update - I suppose the other reprints in that title will be random horror. DC Superhero Girls is the trickiest, as it's only been around for a few years. Maybe titles like Batgirl and Supergirl will serve as it's backups. The core superheroes will probably use stuff from the 2000s and 2010s like the previous Giants. I'd be surprised if anything before Crisis (i.e. the late 80s) is used.
    DC has been publishing Scooby Doo comics since 1997 so they have a lot of issues that they curate from for a 100 Page Giant from the various different titles. The style hasn't really changed so it's easier to go back further. They could feasibly add some non Scooby Doo content like the Flash/Speed Buggy one shot they did.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    It's nice to see them expanding on different DC/Warner properties, like DCSHG and Scooby-Doo .
    I'm surprised Scooby hadn't been done as a 100 Page Giant sooner but perhaps DC wanted to test the waters with the DC characters first. I think a Looney Tunes 100 Page Giant would work given they have a lot of issues and like Scooby, the art style hasn't really changed.