Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

I have been collecting these since they started. We already went through 1 renumbering that kept the same content but renamed some titles. Will this third renumbering also keep the same content? Right now Superman #13 had Up in the Sky Part 10 and Batman #13 had Universe Part 11. I assume we will get a #14 and #7 in August before the renumber but will that finish off the stories or will these new #1s pickup at the end of a story line? Has anyone been able to figure that part out?

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mhanna885 View Post
    I have been collecting these since they started. We already went through 1 renumbering that kept the same content but renamed some titles. Will this third renumbering also keep the same content? Right now Superman #13 had Up in the Sky Part 10 and Batman #13 had Universe Part 11. I assume we will get a #14 and #7 in August before the renumber but will that finish off the stories or will these new #1s pickup at the end of a story line? Has anyone been able to figure that part out?
    This is basically what I was asking. Are they going to continue the Wal-Mart books are these just going to pick up where they left off so you don't have to keep relying on Wal-Mart?
    Assassinate Putin!

Quote Originally Posted by mhanna885 View Post
    The relaunch is right at the end of September, so there should be issues of the old format Giants that month too. In Batman's case, that would complete the story. Perhaps Superman will double up?
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Some more information about the upcoming launch from Bleeding Cool: Details on DC Comics 100-Page Giant Relaunch – No Longer Walmart-Exclusive, But They Get Them Early. I noted especially this:

I am told that the production and packaging on these new volumes is, and I quote, ‘going to be spectacular’ and a step up on the magazines that have reached Walmart and Target so far. Upcoming magazines will include pull out posters, huge maps, fold-out 4 page spreads and more.
    This makes me ask who the target demographic for these products are. Historically, comics have been pure mass-market products, but right now the floppies are niche products sold in specialty outlets—high-grade paper, gimmick covers, and so on. The Giants seemed somewhat like a return to the mass-market roots, but the above quote seems to push them back as "premium" products.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

The push for "premium" in the specialty market has been about justifying the ever increasing (and now almost absurd) price points. If they can keep the price of these at $5, the bonus features could be a real selling point. I loved stuff like that when I was a kid.

Incredible Member

So a new story which would normally cost me $4 + 4 reprints + higher production values for an extra $1. Sounds very good deal to me.

Still have a Batman one of these from the 1970s, that reprinted a bunch of 1940s-era stories. These are fun.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Boisterously Confused

Question:

There's a whole thread devoted to Didio's statement that comics are selling more old stuff than new stuff. Is part of this 100-page thing an attempt to use the old stuff to entice purchase of new stuff?

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    Some more information about the upcoming launch from Bleeding Cool: Details on DC Comics 100-Page Giant Relaunch – No Longer Walmart-Exclusive, But They Get Them Early. I noted especially this:

This makes me ask who the target demographic for these products are. Historically, comics have been pure mass-market products, but right now the floppies are niche products sold in specialty outlets—high-grade paper, gimmick covers, and so on. The Giants seemed somewhat like a return to the mass-market roots, but the above quote seems to push them back as "premium" products.
    It sounds like King's Superman story isn't even going to get finished. How would that work?
    Assassinate Putin!

Maybe since all the original stories are being sold now in 6 issues Maxi-Series DC just said screw it?

Picked up the #7 and #14s today. All of the original stories conclude and mention new #1s coming out EXCEPT for Superman. Superman has a completely different original story. The preview at the end makes it sound like there will be a Superman #15. Has anyone confirmed what they are doing with the Superman Giant?

There is indeed at least one more issue of the old format Superman Giant, yeah.
    https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/08...0-page-giants/
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

We finally have proper solicits:
    https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/09...ylor-and-more/

Scooby-Doo: 3 new ten page stories and 5 random reprints from Scooby Doo Where Are You?
    Flash: New stories by Gail Simone and Jeff Parker, plus reprints of Flash #13 (New 52), Green Arrow Rebirth #1, and Blue Beetle #1.
    Batman: New Batman story by Michael Gray and Batwoman story by Steve Orlando, plus reprints of Batman #1 (New 52), Detective #23.2, and Nightwing #1 (Rebirth).
    Villains: New Joker story by Mark Russell, Deathstroke story by Tom Taylor, and Harley Quinn story by Gail Simone, plus reprints of Justice League #23.1, Flash #8 (2010), and the Poison Ivy story from Secret Origins #10 (New 52).
    Wonder Woman: New story by Amanda Conner plus reprints of Wonder Woman #2 (Rebirth), Green Lantern #29 (2008), and Sword and Sorcery #0.
    Swamp Thing: New stories by Mark Russell and Andrew Constant, plus reprints of Swamp Thing #1, John Constantine: The Hellblazer #1, and Zatanna #1.
    Aquaman: New stories by Steve Orlando and Marv Wolfman, plus reprints of Aquaman #14 (New 52), Mera: Queen of Atlantis #1, and Teen Titans #6 (Rebirth - origin of Aqualad).
    Ghosts: New stories by Dan Jurgens, Keith Giffen, and John Layman, plus reprints of four stories from Cursed Comics Cavalcade, and a story each from DCU Halloween Special and DC House of Horror #1.
    Teen Titans Go: Two new stories plus reprints of issues 1-3 of the previous TTG comic.
    DC Super Hero Girls: Two new stories plus chapters from three of their previous graphic novels.
    Last edited by Digifiend; 09-07-2019 at 11:01 AM.

Amazing Member

Putting in an issue of Jaime's Blue Beetle into the Flash giant seems random but I approve!

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

I'll pick up Flash and Ghosts.
    Maybe give the Aquaman issue a whirl too.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.