Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member

Default Grad student Peter

What do you think Peter will do if he regains his doctorate?
    Rebuild Parker Industries?
    Become a ESU professor?
    Return to the Bugle as science editor?
    I would ask about Horizon U if Superior Spider Man wasn't there?

BANNED

I don't think Peter is ever gonna get a doctorate. He's gonna be perpetually in grad school.

Slott in allowing Octopus to get the Doctorate by cheating and inhabiting Peter's body was commenting on and working on a status-quo that was never supposed to last and the fact that Peter didn't legitimately earn the doctorate and now has to do the slow grind and return back to basics was always on the cards.

Rebuild Parker Industries?
    Rebuild? He didn't build Parker Industries to start with. IT was Ock who did that in fraudulent circumstances and Peter had to deal with a company he didn't create and didn't want.

At most you can have Peter build a new startup and work as a plucky newcomer who tries to make something of himself.

Become a ESU professor?
    In his current status, Peter can best aspire to be a TA and teach undergraduates which would be a reprise of Peter teaching high school.

I am sure that Spencer might have ideas on what kind of jobs and so on Peter can do, but it's all gonna be seasonal, limited, temporary and nothing lasting.

He probably should never get a doctorate, at least as long as we expect the book to continue for a long period of time. This part of the story shouldn't be told, since professional happiness is more about the ending.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Excuse me? Why can't he get his doctorate?

Quote Originally Posted by WebSlingWonder View Post
    For a variety of reasons. I think it ages him too much, and it marks an ending to a story engine that's been part of the series from the beginning (balancing his academic life as well as his private life and job.)
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

BANNED

I guess not everyone's familiar. Basically a doctorate is the highest qualification you can get as a student. The minute Peter gets a doctorate, he's not a student anymore. He will have to publish stuff in peer-reviewed journals, or find work in the private sector but mostly Peter's no longer a student of any capacity when he gets a doctorate.

In 616, Peter's graduated from high school, then college, but grad school is where he's been at since ASM #195 or so. Grad school allows flexibility because Peter can work for a living, he can choose to skip credits and choose to come back and graduate again, and you can slide up and down from young to adult...Peter can be in grad school and work, he can be in grad school and teach high school and so on and so forth.

It's basically a symbolic thing and so on.

Dan Slott's run is basically...I wouldn't say illusion of change...but illusion of progress. He was deliberately enacting the fantasy of Peter progressing professionally albeit being emotionally immature and incapable because he didn't earn or merit that progress by himself. Anyone familiar with Spider-Man continuity and lore could see the crap he was pulling and the ridiculous con underneath everything in his run.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    For a variety of reasons. I think it ages him too much, and it marks an ending to a story engine that's been part of the series from the beginning (balancing his academic life as well as his private life and job.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    I guess not everyone's familiar. Basically a doctorate is the highest qualification you can get as a student. The minute Peter gets a doctorate, he's not a student anymore. He will have to publish stuff in peer-reviewed journals, or find work in the private sector but mostly Peter's no longer a student of any capacity when he gets a doctorate.

In 616, Peter's graduated from high school, then college, but grad school is where he's been at since ASM #195 or so. Grad school allows flexibility because Peter can work for a living, he can choose to skip credits and choose to come back and graduate again, and you can slide up and down from young to adult...Peter can be in grad school and work, he can be in grad school and teach high school and so on and so forth.

It's basically a symbolic thing and so on.

Dan Slott's run is basically...I wouldn't say illusion of change...but illusion of progress. He was deliberately enacting the fantasy of Peter progressing professionally albeit being emotionally immature and incapable because he didn't earn or merit that progress by himself. Anyone familiar with Spider-Man continuity and lore could see the crap he was pulling and the ridiculous con underneath everything in his run.
    I'm sorry, but no. Peter is fully allowed to get his doctorate just like he is fully allowed to teach a classroom, or be a fully funded scientist, or even a freelance photographer. He can and in my opinion should because then we may be able to actually move the story past the same age that he's at for 700 issues. I get the whole "keeping him young" thing, but Marvel and the rest of us have to realize that this is 100% unrealistic and straining suspension of disbelief. Realistically, he would be about 30 to 35 for any of the story beats to work for the past 700 issues (I'm counting from issue 186, when he graduated college). Heck, we didn't even see him get his Master's...when did that happen?!

My point is, that he can get his doctorate and I think he needs to so that we can finally move the story forward past its perpetual spot. Otherwise, we're only going in circles, which breaks any illusion.

BANNED

I'm sorry, but no. Peter is fully allowed to get his doctorate just like he is fully allowed to teach a classroom, or be a fully funded scientist, or even a freelance photographer. He can and in my opinion should because then we may be able to actually move the story past the same age that he's at for 700 issues. I get the whole "keeping him young" thing, but Marvel and the rest of us have to realize that this is 100% unrealistic and straining suspension of disbelief. Realistically, he would be about 30 to 35 for any of the story beats to work for the past 700 issues (I'm counting from issue 186, when he graduated college). Heck, we didn't even see him get his Master's...when did that happen?!

My point is, that he can get his doctorate and I think he needs to so that we can finally move the story forward past its perpetual spot. Otherwise, we're only going in circles, which breaks any illusion.
    I agree with you. It’s just that I am not sure Marvel will do that. I am for Spider-Man growing up, getting his marriage back and so on.

Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

The more I think about it, Peter the "eternal Grad Student" makes sense since Marvel has been trying to put the genie back in the bottle concerning Peter's age since the end of JMS' run.
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.

But they have Miles now. Let Peter be the adult, and give Miles the juggling school and superheroics stories. Peter would still be juggling family, work, and heroism, while Miles doesn't have to worry about making excuses for missing family time, as his loved ones (his parents and Ganke) know his secret anyway, but still has to worry about avoiding falling asleep in class.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

flipping burgers
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    I agree with you. It’s just that I am not sure Marvel will do that. I am for Spider-Man growing up, getting his marriage back and so on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    But they have Miles now. Let Peter be the adult, and give Miles the juggling school and superheroics stories. Peter would still be juggling family, work, and heroism, while Miles doesn't have to worry about making excuses for missing family time, as his loved ones (his parents and Ganke) know his secret anyway, but still has to worry about avoiding falling asleep in class.
    I'm hoping that, based on this renaissance with Spider-Man and the success of "Into the Spider-Verse", that Marvel will eventually do it. It seems like they're leading in that direction anyway, given "Life Story", the character growth happening in Spencer's run, and Miles becoming his own hero. If they commit to it, I think it'll finally make Spider-Man fans happy

Something till they feel the need to regress Peter again
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    It closes one chapter but opens another heck it can open many different chapters in Peter's life: professor/teacher, inventor, full-time employee, company owner, adventurer/researcher, exact. The only limit is the imagination of the writer or writers.
    Last edited by Celgress; 07-20-2019 at 10:14 AM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    Something till they feel the need to regress Peter again
    This is my answer as well.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."