Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 72
  1. #16
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    8,033

    Default

    That costume is suspect as hell or maybe it's a commentary on how much society and attitudes have changed.

    I don't like the suit. I never understood why that suit and I think we are more likely to see Dick in that suit than Damian EVER wearing that.

    Not a chance.

  2. #17
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    8,033

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Cyclist View Post
    He is the Robin most similar to Robin Goodfellow. After all, no other Robin has done things that Puck does, like:
    -kidnaps people so they'll be his friends
    -create challenges in order to entertain someone and make them happy
    -complete impossible tasks in a 24 hour period at the command of an immortal ruler
    -collect animals
    -collect mythical animals
    -get called a pixie by villains
    -claims to age but doesn't
    -small, cute, and scary but appears harmless

    While Damian hasn't worn the costume, and given how many adults have been too interested in his sexuality in canon (Detective Comics Annual 11 springs to mind) he never would Pyg did make a whole bunch of Dollotrons based on Damian and at least one was in the original costume.

    Which would be one of those fridge horror moments everyone is glad to ignore desite it being a good HIC scene. All the other Robins talking about being unsure of who they are and Damian, "I feel very uncomfortable about Professor Pyg's interest. And that one time a naked lady tried to make me a man. And the way people comment on my development. I wear heavy clothes because I don't like when strangers me. Sometimes I wake up in the wrong clothes after being abducted, or else the people who've abducted me have outfits they want me to wear. My mother says that it's normal, but Talia and normal have never met and everyone else changes the subject. Is this normal? How do I train for it? Why do people keep ruffling my hair and otherwise touching me without permission or invitation?"
    "Slade, I already told you. I have enough father figures and mentors. I don't need you spying on me, wearing my clothes, eating my food or trying to teach me things. And for the last Time. NO I don't want to join your Sh***y Team"

  3. #18
    Astonishing Member Güicho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    4,986

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dietrich View Post
    That costume is suspect as hell....
    Actually it's the creeps always reading into and projecting their own depravity onto something that's not there, who are all suspect.
    Robin's costume was fantastic.


    Original Robin costume was great for little kick-ass Grayson, first coming from the circus; adventurous, devil-may-care, channeling the colorful, romanticized swashbuckler Robin Hood, by way of a kid.
    As time went (the same as all the myriad Batman "updates and reimagining) all it needed was an update too, like Batman has through the ages.
    With an inherent ongoing sliding-time-scale being the lifeblood of comics characters and why they've lasted so long, (despite some fans here pretending aging them is the way to go) One of the worst moves DC did was aging this character to Nightwing, when the only update he needed was a costume, adding green/black leggings cape and full boots.
    Which Neal Adam's pretty much came up with for Grayson anyway, and every "new" derivative, wanna-be incarnation has shamelessly with out credit, been appropriating since. .
    There was never anything wrong with his original costume, and like Batman has gotten, nothing wrong with updating it.
    Last edited by Güicho; 07-22-2019 at 07:41 AM.

  4. #19
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    8,033

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post
    Actually it's the creeps always reading into and projecting their own depravity onto something that's not there, who are all suspect.
    Robin's costume was fantastic.


    Original Robin costume was great for little kick-ass Grayson, first coming from the circus; adventurous, devil-may-care, channeling the colorful, romanticized swashbuckler Robin Hood, by way of a kid.
    As time went (the same as all the myriad Batman "updates and reimagining) all it needed was an update too, like Batman has through the ages.
    With an inherent ongoing sliding-time-scale being the lifeblood of comics characters and why they've lasted so long, (despite some fans here pretending aging them is the way to go) One of the worst moves DC did was aging this character to Nightwing, when the only update he needed was a costume, adding green/black leggings cape and full boots.
    Which Neal Adam's pretty much came up with for Grayson anyway, and every "new" derivative, wanna-be incarnation has shamelessly with out credit, been appropriating since. .
    There was never anything wrong with his original costume, and like Batman has gotten, nothing wrong with updating it.
    Did you just call me a depraved creep? WOW!

    Charming.
    You really love that suit don't you. Considering how you, WB and DC to name a few favour an update [adding tights] there was something wrong with his old suit
    Last edited by dietrich; 07-22-2019 at 08:38 AM.

  5. #20
    Astonishing Member Güicho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    4,986

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dietrich View Post
    Did you just call me ...
    LOL! I was pretty specific about who comes off that way. If you, is all you got out that, it might be on you.
    Last edited by Güicho; 07-22-2019 at 05:57 PM.

  6. #21
    Standing Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    12,439

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dietrich View Post
    That costume is suspect as hell or maybe it's a commentary on how much society and attitudes have changed.

    I don't like the suit. I never understood why that suit . . .
    I gave this a think, because I'm the opposite. If I don't like something and I can't understand why other people do, then I try to figure it out. I look into the history and try to gain a perspective on how those people thought and what appealed to them.

    Yet it seems like there are just as many people that, if something strikes them as strange and unfamiliar, that repels them and they don't want to know anymore about it.

    But because I'm that type that always wants to figure out the obverse perspective, that means I have to figure why those people feel the way they do. And is it nature or nurture? Are some of us born to investigate the unfamiliar and others to reject it--or do things happen in our lives that encourage one or the other strategy?

    I think it must be somewhat born into our species--because both types have survived. So it must be that both strategies work for the survival of the species. We need people who see the strange and reject it--because what's strange can kill us. But we also need the kind who investigate the strange--because learning about strange things helps us to adapt and create new strategies for survival.

    So while I might not be someone who sides with those that reject what they don't like, I can understand why that's an okay way to be and even necessary at times.
    You can't jump a jet plane like you can a freight train,
    So I'd best be on my way in the early morning rain.

  7. #22
    The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    6,814

    Default

    I doubt it will be ever be revived as the current Robin outfit, but it is part of the character's history and heritage, and I hope it remains there. Kind of hard to imagine 45 years of comics (and other media) didn't happen.

    Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

    First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

    First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

  8. #23
    Standing Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    12,439

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    I doubt it will be ever be revived as the current Robin outfit, but it is part of the character's history and heritage, and I hope it remains there. Kind of hard to imagine 45 years of comics (and other media) didn't happen.
    Hard to believe there was a time when it was the fashion for men to wear short shorts on the street--and satiny short shorts at that--but there was. And I remember being quite happy in my gold satiny short shorts and feeling there was nothing wrong with that. You never know what new trends the future will hold and how those trends will change the way people think about what looks good.
    You can't jump a jet plane like you can a freight train,
    So I'd best be on my way in the early morning rain.

  9. #24
    Titans Together!! byrd156's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Kansas City, MO
    Posts
    9,392

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by failo.legendkiller View Post
    This!
    I'm sorry that this costume is banned even in the flashbacks. It's iconic and was the first one I loved as a child.
    I'm fine with it being "gone" in the sense that it isn't used anymore expect for Dick. Flashbacks, time travel, whatever. It's Dick's Robin costume and should always be his Robin costume in the main continuity of DC stories.

    Adaptations, different timelines or other media, do whatever you want design wise.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

    "In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

    "One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

  10. #25
    Standing Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    12,439

    Default

    I used to spend a lot of time as a kid trying to draw a new Robin outfit that would use the design elements of the original yet give Dick a modern look. However, I could never come up with a design that satisfied me. And all the new designs that I saw in the comics didn't work either. The later Robin outfits are Robin outfits, but I feel like no one has yet cracked it--how to adapt Jerry Robinson's design in a way that feels like the old costume yet works for a modern audience.
    You can't jump a jet plane like you can a freight train,
    So I'd best be on my way in the early morning rain.

  11. #26
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,588

    Default

    Honestly, I just miss the colors, lack of black, and the collar. The image I have in my head of a version of this costume with pants, no black, and a collar is pretty feasible, imho. While I did originally think the Neal Adams designed costume was pretty cool when it came out, I kinda miss when DC superhero costumes were less "practical" than they are now.
    His current approval rating is 34%, meaning 34% of Americans are still morons.

  12. #27
    Astonishing Member Badou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    4,189

    Default

    I don't get why it has to get so complicated. Just keep the original costume but give him boots and pants. It is that simple. The Teen Titans cartoon 15+ years ago was smart enough to get this right. It blows my mind that DC continues to fail to understand it and tries to do these awful updates like his New 52 Robin costume. Over designed, dull colors, and all these additional pieces thrown together. I just don't get it.

    The most iconic part of the costume to me is the red vest and I don't see why that needs to change from the classic version. Even the animated Young Justice version was smart enough to get that right. Then also the green gloves and green undershirt (swap them to black if you want to) that keep his arms exposed, black and yellow cape, and the black domino mask. Then just give him some green pants, with a modern belt, and some boots and it would look fine. No need to overthink it.

  13. #28
    Fantastic Member RickWJ324's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    253

    Default

    Personally, I like the first two costumes in this picture the best:

    Red Robin.jpg

  14. #29
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    8,033

    Default

    [QUOTE=RickWJ324;4478185]Personally, I like the first two costumes in this picture the best:


    I don't see the costume we are discussing here. I think you missed the point of the thread. We are discussing Dick's original costume not random Robin costumes. Smh

    Elsewhere on this site there is a Which Robin Costume do you like best thread.

  15. #30
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    8,033

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I gave this a think, because I'm the opposite. If I don't like something and I can't understand why other people do, then I try to figure it out. I look into the history and try to gain a perspective on how those people thought and what appealed to them.

    Yet it seems like there are just as many people that, if something strikes them as strange and unfamiliar, that repels them and they don't want to know anymore about it.

    But because I'm that type that always wants to figure out the obverse perspective, that means I have to figure why those people feel the way they do. And is it nature or nurture? Are some of us born to investigate the unfamiliar and others to reject it--or do things happen in our lives that encourage one or the other strategy?

    I think it must be somewhat born into our species--because both types have survived. So it must be that both strategies work for the survival of the species. We need people who see the strange and reject it--because what's strange can kill us. But we also need the kind who investigate the strange--because learning about strange things helps us to adapt and create new strategies for survival.

    So while I might not be someone who sides with those that reject what they don't like, I can understand why that's an okay way to be and even necessary at times.
    There's a lot about that original costume that I never understood. Not just the bare legs but the bright colours seemed like lunacy and it didn't seem to have enough padding.

    I could never understand why Batman the more skilled and less vulnerable one seemed more protected and practical.
    His colours were hard to see.
    He had tights covering his legs. He just looked more covered and more protected.

    I mean even as a style choice a leotard is normally worn with tights not just a tunic.

    I now know thanks to your prior post that the bright colours was so batman could see Robin but that doesn't sound very thought out. I even toyed with the idea that Robin was the decoy there to draw the enemies attention.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •