Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 72
  1. #31
    Standing Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    12,463

    Default

    Given that Burt Ward didn't actually have bare legs but rather flesh-tone leggings, I think you could probably respect everything about the original Boy Wonder costume and just have Dick wearing beige leggings. I like the medieval look of the original design--which went along with gothic style lettering on the Robin logo.


    They were evoking the middle ages and Robin Hood, with the boots, the chainmail, the lacing, the guantlets. So lean into that.
    I read the news today oh boy

  2. #32
    Standing Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    12,463

    Default

    Something like this is what I have in mind--

  3. #33
    Fantastic Member RickWJ324's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    253

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dietrich View Post
    I don't see the costume we are discussing here. I think you missed the point of the thread. We are discussing Dick's original costume not random Robin costumes. Smh
    Actually, I didn't miss the point of the thread at all. I'm totally aware of Robin's original costume and the thread's topic. If you look at the post directly above mine, Badou wrote:
    "Then also the green gloves and green undershirt (swap them to black if you want to) that keep his arms exposed, black and yellow cape, and the black domino mask. Then just give him some green pants, with a modern belt, and some boots and it would look fine. No need to overthink it."

    I was commenting on his post about not overthinking it. My response was in regards to that and I was simply stating that I like the first two suits in that pic I posted...being that they were simple in design which is what Badou was stating. I probably should've "quoted" him in my post, but I guess I thought if one was reading the postings in order it would flow from his to mine. My apologies for not making it clearer for you. No "smh" necessary.
    Last edited by RickWJ324; 07-24-2019 at 09:30 AM.

  4. #34
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    8,033

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RickWJ324 View Post
    Actually, I didn't miss the point of the thread at all. I'm totally aware of Robin's original costume and the thread's topic. If you look at the post directly above mine, Badou wrote:
    "Then also the green gloves and green undershirt (swap them to black if you want to) that keep his arms exposed, black and yellow cape, and the black domino mask. Then just give him some green pants, with a modern belt, and some boots and it would look fine. No need to overthink it."

    I was commenting on his post about not overthinking it. My response was in regards to that and I was simply stating that I like the first two suits in that pic I posted...being that they were simple in design which is what Badou was stating. I probably should've "quoted" him in my post, but I guess I thought if one was reading the postings in order it would flow from his to mine. My apologies for not making it clearer for you. No "smh" necessary.
    I respectfully and gladly take back my smh

  5. #35
    Fantastic Member RickWJ324's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    253

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dietrich View Post
    I respectfully and gladly take back my smh
    Thank you kind sir! I should've quoted the post above.

  6. #36
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    5,659

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Badou View Post
    I don't get why it has to get so complicated. Just keep the original costume but give him boots and pants. It is that simple. The Teen Titans cartoon 15+ years ago was smart enough to get this right. It blows my mind that DC continues to fail to understand it and tries to do these awful updates like his New 52 Robin costume. Over designed, dull colors, and all these additional pieces thrown together. I just don't get it.

    The most iconic part of the costume to me is the red vest and I don't see why that needs to change from the classic version. Even the animated Young Justice version was smart enough to get that right. Then also the green gloves and green undershirt (swap them to black if you want to) that keep his arms exposed, black and yellow cape, and the black domino mask. Then just give him some green pants, with a modern belt, and some boots and it would look fine. No need to overthink it.
    - In Dick's case I would probably stick with original yellow cape. I think he should have the brightest and most colourful costume of the Robins.
    - Jason would give a darker costume with more black elements (pants, sleeves, outside of the cape), similar to Damian's colour scheme
    - with Tim's and Damain's costumes are fine

  7. #37
    A Wearied Madness Vakanai's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    4,305

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Blue22 View Post
    Not gonna lie, I'm very glad the original outfit isn't in continuity anymore. Batman sending young boys out to fight crime in one of the worst cities in the country is bad enough without making them do it in scaly green panties XD
    I was going to say something, but I really can't say it better than this. Leave the bare legs and pixie boots in the 30s and 40s please.

  8. #38
    Astonishing Member Pohzee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    tOSU
    Posts
    2,558

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    I was going to say something, but I really can't say it better than this. Leave the bare legs and pixie boots in the 30s and 40s please.
    And the '50s and '60s and '70s and '80s. huh
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

    Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)


  9. #39

    Default

    in today's entrenched snark-shade fan culture, you'd have a relentless stream of gay-panic jokes on message boards and social media. Probably not a good look to bring it back unless it's a one-shot deal where Damian's other outfits are not available and he is somehow "forced" to wear the (his words) "ridiculous uniform Grayson used to wear". So.. we'll see..

  10. #40
    A Wearied Madness Vakanai's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    4,305

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pohzee View Post
    And the '50s and '60s and '70s and '80s. huh
    It probably became dated sometime during the 50s, and was a joke by the 60s, and continued to hang on decades longer than it should have because fans hate change. I say now that they're finally dead as they should have been many, many decades ago, that we leave them be and move on.

  11. #41
    Caperucita Roja Zaresh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    1,716

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    - In Dick's case I would probably stick with original yellow cape. I think he should have the brightest and most colourful costume of the Robins.
    - Jason would give a darker costume with more black elements (pants, sleeves, outside of the cape), similar to Damian's colour scheme
    - with Tim's and Damain's costumes are fine
    I don't know. I think Jason, as Robin, fits well with a full yellow cape. As much as Dick, if not more, because it really, really gave him some light and colour post-crisis.
    This is a signature. It has letters on it, and those letters form words. Words like these. I will not quote anything because I'm uninspired but, I read a lot: I could!

    And this is my Tumblr. Sometimes I post stuff there.

  12. #42
    Astonishing Member Pohzee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    tOSU
    Posts
    2,558

    Default

    I like Jason dying in Dick's costume, whatever it may be. It's more poignant.
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

    Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)


  13. #43
    The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    6,815

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pohzee View Post
    I like Jason dying in Dick's costume, whatever it may be. It's more poignant.
    Indeed. In the immediate aftermath of Jason's death, Dick felt that "when Jason died, he took Robin with him" (I think those were Dick's exact words). Tim had to persuade both Dick and Bruce otherwise.

    Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

    First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

    First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

  14. #44
    Fantastic Member astro@work's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Denver metroplex
    Posts
    459

    Default

    While the nostalgic part of me, that grew up in the 80's with the OG Robin, loves the costume...it would never work today.
    When it was first created it invoked Dick's acrobat background, and also the Errol Flynn Robin Hood that was popular at the time.
    But that was 80 years ago.

    Looking at it today with a modern lens, it's not practical for combat and objectifies an adolescent going into combat.
    Even a kid would see that today. Probably not a look DC wants to get behind!

    But still, I remember the OG version fondly from back when it was a more innocent time.

  15. #45
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    5,659

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zaresh View Post
    I don't know. I think Jason, as Robin, fits well with a full yellow cape. As much as Dick, if not more, because it really, really gave him some light and colour post-crisis.
    For me it fits Dick, since it really kind of looks like a circus costume, and I think Jason should have his own costume that better fits him.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •