Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    If bare legs for young super-heroes come back into style will that be nostalgia? Well, is the cycle of fashion always nostalgia for the past? Obviously, fashion does look at past trends and tries to incorporate those into the new style. But it also looks to popular culture for direction.

Sometimes, in these discussions about male costumes, I detect an undercurrent of gender conformity. Especially if the boots are called "pixie boots"--is that code for "these are too female?"

And what if the culture shifts, as it has shifted many times in the past, and we don't expect young people to conform to certain gender stereotypes? Could we get back to the unisex trend of the 1970s? Well, let's hope the nostalgia for old-fashioned ideals of masculinity will eventually pass.
    I always thought they were called pixie boots in reference to the Peter Pan style of shoes he wore. Not because it was feminine or anything like that.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Quote Originally Posted by byrd156 View Post
    I think it's a great thing, I wish it was back. Dick's new Robin costume is just dreadful.
    Well we disagree, nothing's as dreadful as scaly green panties and bare legs for a teen boy to wear in public I think...

If bare legs for young super-heroes come back into style will that be nostalgia? Well, is the cycle of fashion always nostalgia for the past? Obviously, fashion does look at past trends and tries to incorporate those into the new style. But it also looks to popular culture for direction.

Sometimes, in these discussions about male costumes, I detect an undercurrent of gender conformity. Especially if the boots are called "pixie boots"--is that code for "these are too female?"

And what if the culture shifts, as it has shifted many times in the past, and we don't expect young people to conform to certain gender stereotypes? Could we get back to the unisex trend of the 1970s? Well, let's hope the nostalgia for old-fashioned ideals of masculinity will eventually pass.
    I don't care if old fashioned ideals of masculinity change or not, green scaled panties is terrible to wear in public. At least have him put on some shorts or hell a skirt to cover it. Can't say it's about toxic masculinity for the change if he's wearing a skirt.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Well we disagree, nothing's as dreadful as scaly green panties and bare legs for a teen boy to wear in public I think...
    I mean the scaly green panties would be seen as embarrassing to any modern children. It'd probably put them off Robin.

I think they original outfit should appear as something Bruce, Dick and other characters find really embarrassing. kinda like Dicks disco costume and mullet.

Quote Originally Posted by Katana500 View Post
    I mean the scaly green panties would be seen as embarrassing to any modern children. It'd probably put them off Robin.

I think they original outfit should appear as something Bruce, Dick and other characters find really embarrassing. kinda like Dicks disco costume and mullet.
    If something is that embarrassing, just don't reference it. Ignore it. Comics don't have to hold onto old bit of continuity "just because". The old comics exist, you can always revisit that costume, but there's no reason we have to believe Dick actually went out in public like that in modern times.

Retired

I believe that the green trunks are supposed to be chainmail, like the chainmail on Captain America's shirt. It makes sense, given the middle ages gestalt of his original appearance. Batman is a dark knight and Robin is his squire.

You have Batman and Robin wearing armour in the modern comics. So the chainmail trunks are like a steel jock strap. Maybe Batman should have worn chainmail, too.

If I was doing a redesign--like I said before--I would go deeper with the medieval look and he'd be wearing a green, chainmail tunic under his red (bulletproof) vest.

Something like this is what I have in mind--

It's fiction so I don't think that matters. Perez makes it look incredible, as long as it's drawn well I'm good.

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Quote Originally Posted by byrd156 View Post
    It's fiction so I don't think that matters. Perez makes it look incredible, as long as it's drawn well I'm good.
    Eh, I think it looking terrible matters, and I don't think Perez or anyone else makes it look incredible...

Incredible Member CrazyOldHermit's Avatar

As far as I'm concerned it's the Robin costume, at least until Tim came along, but I think Tim's first two costumes and Damian's original costume are all excellent. Now that I think about it, Robin has one of the best track records of redesigns.

I also prefer to think of Batman's timeline in the context of its own era of creation, so when I think of Dick's tenure as Robin I automatically associate it with the 40s, 50s and 60s.
    Miller was right.

Eh, I think it looking terrible matters, and I don't think Perez or anyone else makes it look incredible...
    Okay then.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

There are many things I like between Tim and Damian but despite being a 90s kid, a Robin with the original costume is far more appealing. To the point where I like ASBAR and 66 over most of the other modern runs.
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    There are many things I like between Tim and Damian but despite being a 90s kid, a Robin with the original costume is far more appealing. To the point where I like ASBAR and 66 over most of the other modern runs.
    ASBAR visually is incredible and that's where the praise stops dead in it's tracks.