Default Death of Superman TPB - is it actually recolored?

I recently purchased the brand new Death and Return of Superman omnibus and love it.

However, according the wikipedia and DC comics own webpage: The TPB of the Death of Superman has been recolored.

https://www.dccomics.com/graphic-nov...an-new-edition

• The classic collection returns in a newly recolored edition.

• Can even Superman stop the unstoppable creature called Doomsday? If the assembled might of the JLA can’t do it, what hope does he have?

• Collects SUPERMAN: THE MAN OF STEEL #18-19, JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA #69, SUPERMAN #74-75 and ACTION COMICS #684.

Is this TPB covering the Doomsday attacks issues actually recolored? I seem to remember looking through it at Barnes and Noble and can't recall it looking any different than previous editions, other than glossy paper.

In my omnibus, the doomsday attacks issues certainly look the same as they always have at least as best as I can tell.

Does Anyone know?

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Yes Merrick. The paperstock being different does exaggerate it, but looking at my actual comics versus the omnibus, the new colors look both cleaner and somehow flat.
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    Yes Merrick. The paperstock being different does exaggerate it, but looking at my actual comics versus the omnibus, the new colors look both cleaner and somehow flat.
    Can you take pics!

I rarely use my own collection for pics, let me warn you that the only thing worse than the lights in my house is my phone camera haha.

But this is the omnibus I unwrapped in 2016 vs the Adventures of Superman issue I took out of its original (sealed) bag in 2013. I was tempted to just go with Grummett because like Gammill, somehow his style just shows off the modern recoloring best. Most newer trades from this era are exactly the same with coloring so I wouldn't expect any difference with the "Death and Return" trade series vs the omnibus.

It's probably hard to see regardless because it's not all that different. I guess you would say that the palette isn't as warm but it's not close to being a distraction.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    I rarely use my own collection for pics, let me warn you that the only thing worse than the lights in my house is my phone camera haha.

But this is the omnibus I unwrapped in 2016 vs the Adventures of Superman issue I took out of its original (sealed) bag in 2013. I was tempted to just go with Grummett because like Gammill, somehow his style just shows off the modern recoloring best. Most newer trades from this era are exactly the same with coloring so I wouldn't expect any difference with the "Death and Return" trade series vs the omnibus.

It's probably hard to see regardless because it's not all that different. I guess you would say that the palette isn't as warm but it's not close to being a distraction.
    Yeah, that's not all that impressive. I mean it's true to the original, but I was hoping we might see something similar to what Simonson's Thor omnibus got.

EDIT: It's really important to note that the issue you are showing is Adventures of Superman 500, which is NOT in the Death of Superman paperback. There is nothing on DC's website that indicates that Funeral for a Friend, Reign of the Superman, or the Return of Superman TPBs got recolored, so I can only assume that it was the TPB that covered the battle of Doomsday: SUPERMAN: THE MAN OF STEEL #18-19, JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA #69, SUPERMAN #74-75 and ACTION COMICS #684.
    Last edited by Merrick97; 07-21-2019 at 09:18 AM.

I just ordered the 2013 version off Instocktrades.com. It was only $8.39

https://www.instocktrades.com/TP/DC/...W-ED/OCT120269

The newest version is this version and there is no indication of it being recolored and having seen it at Barnes and Noble it doesn't look all that great.
    https://www.instocktrades.com/TP/DC/...W-ED/JAN168880

Not that anybody cares, but the 2013 version of the Death of Superman TPB arrived and it was a massive disappointment. It did not in any way appear to be re-colored and it was on the cheap crappy smelly newsprint paper.
    At least it only cost me $8.

Yeah I would just recommend the 2004 trade series or omnibus for all the trouble. The only way to find out about that one was to experience it firsthand but I certainly didn't expect any Oliffe style recoloring as the trade was pretty much just for promotional purposes