Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    I figured since this is a big budget movie the chi aspects will be played up so I assumed if Shang had his clones, they would like glowing chi versions of himself.
    When exactly did he get cloning powers? I admit that I am not up to date on Shang Chi, but I'm pretty sure I read all the books covered by the Omnibus series (his first series), and don't recall such powers. I think (though of course) I don't know, they will be using the doug Moench/Frank Gulacy books as the model (if they're smart) and not be picking up late (and questionable) additions to his powerset.
    Sandy Hausler
    DC Boards Moderator (along with The Darknight Detective (who has a much cooler name that I do))
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelC View Post
    The Mandarin is why I'm watching this as well. I don't care about Shang-Chi in the slightest.
    That's fine. I just think it's odd. I've never considered the Mandarin to be one of those villains that has fans.
    Sandy Hausler
    DC Boards Moderator (along with The Darknight Detective (who has a much cooler name that I do))

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    In the MCU the Ten Rings is a terrorist cell. This dates back to Iron Man 1
    OK. Didn't know that (though I saw Iron Man 1 and all the other Marvel movies).
    Sandy Hausler

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Hausler View Post
    Since there will be no Fu Manchu, I can't see how there could be a Fah Lo Suee.
    Kind of strange that you post this after the Jackie Chan news has been reported in the post above yours. Jackie Chan is reportedly being considered for the role of Zheng Zu, which is the new name given to Shang Chi's father in marvel comics. So the Fah Lo Suee replacement character (whose name I can't remember) is also a possibility.

Isn't that the point? Mandarin is Shang Chi's father. I'm speculating, but Shang Chi's father is his greatest enemy. If you're bringing in the Mandarin, how could he NOT be his father?
    See my response above.
    HEY KIDS, (BUY MY) COMICS!! https://www.mythworldemedia.com/store

How about this theory? The Ten Rings was founded to drive out the British from China. It has since been a quiet group, doing a bit of vigilante work, beating up Triads, and rooting out corruption, but otherwise little more than a glorified club.

Zheng Zu wants it to continue as such. After all, China has long since been purged of British colonizers. What need is there for the Ten Rings to be anything more than a minor group of vigilantes/corruption-purgers, if even that? The Mandarin, an advisor to Zheng Zu, wants it to become far more aggressive and warlike and take over China instead of being a little group of noble vigilantes quietly supporting the CCP. (It is eventually revealed that The Mandarin is descended from aristocrats who lost everything when the CCP took power, and has been a fanatical enemy of the CCP, unlike the Zheng Zu who is pro-CCP because the aristocrats where such miserable failures at preventing British colonization)
    As part of this push towards war, the Mandarin has founded little splinter groups like the one that captured Tony Stark. These splinter-groups share none of the philosophy of the original Ten Rings, and are little more than thugs fanatically devoted to The Mandarin himself.

Zheng Zu(Jack Chan) finds out about this, and exiles him or otherwise repudiates him. The Mandarin responds by killing Zheng Zu and taking over the Ten Rings. Shang, being both a loving son, and having enjoyed his role as vigilante and as someone who roots out corruption, is enraged by this.

Awkwafina is some everyman type who gets caught up in all this, and doesn't know anything, giving characters plenty of chances to exposition dump.

When exactly did he get cloning powers? I admit that I am not up to date on Shang Chi, but I'm pretty sure I read all the books covered by the Omnibus series (his first series), and don't recall such powers. I think (though of course) I don't know, they will be using the doug Moench/Frank Gulacy books as the model (if they're smart) and not be picking up late (and questionable) additions to his powerset.
    I think he got them in the late 2000s, early 2010s.

They are very recent, in terms of his character life.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelC View Post
    The Mandarin is why I'm watching this as well. I don't care about Shang-Chi in the slightest.
    Ha, you're stabbing me in the heart here Michael! Okay, we can agree to disagree, but I'm definitely in this movie to watch Shang. Master of Kung Fu, greatest fighter in the Marvel Universe, rebel son of a world conqueror, that's why I like Shang.

As for Zheng Zu, that smells like a rumor to me. As I've always said, the father/son antagonism is what makes Shang unique. Having the Mandarin just be a random villain and not Shang's father, Shang becomes just another hero. Having the Mandarin as Shang's father, a leader who commands everything and everyone except his son, that's just too compelling to cast away.
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

BANNED

I highly suspect anyone who anticipates this movie for comics Mandarin will be highly disappointed in the movie they get.

Two things:
    -- I had not heard of Shang-Chi's cloning powers until this thread either. How did he get them - did it have anything to do with "The Collective Man?" (i.e. the living embodiment of simplified political ideology as super-power - they all look exactly alike and they think collectively)

-- As much as we have thoughts about the Mandarin in western culture as a stereotype or as a comic book character, I have to imagine and want to see a character that reflects how people in China think about it all - whether he's modern or should he represent something older? Warrior King, modern dictator, terrorist or genius criminal? It all has cultural implications, especially being the bad guy, and it'll be interesting to see how Marvel speaks to Chinese culture's (or the government's) view of these things while offering a pleasing film for the masses. "Black Panther" addressed larger social themes as the crux for the super-heroics and they pulled it off pretty well imo, so I expect more of that from this. I imagine the Mandarin will be something that comes from what's happening in culture and they'll throw in whichever trapping from the comics that can fit into/enhance that. (and they do have a lot to choose from other than the original Fu Manchu model)
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 08-08-2019 at 05:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Two things:
    -- I had not heard of Shang-Chi's cloning powers until this thread either. How did he get them - did it have anything to do with "The Collective Man?" (i.e. the living embodiment of simplified political ideology as super-power - they all look exactly alike and they think collectively)

-- As much as we have thoughts about the Mandarin in western culture as a stereotype or as a comic book character, I have to imagine and want to see a character that reflects how people in China think about it all - whether he's modern or should he represent something older? Warrior King, modern dictator, terrorist or genius criminal? It all has cultural implications, especially being the bad guy, and it'll be interesting to see how Marvel speaks to Chinese culture's (or the government's) view of these things while offering a pleasing film for the masses. "Black Panther" addressed larger social themes as the crux for the super-heroics and they pulled it off pretty well imo, so I expect more of that from this. I imagine the Mandarin will be something that comes from what's happening in culture and they'll throw in whichever trapping from the comics that can fit into/enhance that. (and they do have a lot to choose from other than the original Fu Manchu model)
    it only happened in Hickman's Avengers run. he was exposed to radiation from the Incursions. i don't know if he still has that ability, to be honest.

Is Marvel making a movie about the real Mandarin that was supposed to be in Iron Man 3?

Quote Originally Posted by Beaddle View Post
    Is Marvel making a movie about the real Mandarin that was supposed to be in Iron Man 3?
    Their making a movie about Shang-Chi. But the real Mandarin will be in it.

Quote Originally Posted by G. Boney View Post
    Kind of strange that you post this after the Jackie Chan news has been reported in the post above yours. Jackie Chan is reportedly being considered for the role of Zheng Zu, which is the new name given to Shang Chi's father in marvel comics. So the Fah Lo Suee replacement character (whose name I can't remember) is also a possibility.

See my response above.
    Wow! Idiots. Well, we'll see how it goes. (When I respond to a post, I don't necessarily (in fact never) read any of the subsequent posts, which is why I hadn't read the post you refer to.)
    Sandy Hausler

Quote Originally Posted by Tien Long View Post
    Zu, that smells like a rumor to me. As I've always said, the father/son antagonism is what makes Shang unique. Having the Mandarin just be a random villain and not Shang's father, Shang becomes just another hero. Having the Mandarin as Shang's father, a leader who commands everything and everyone except his son, that's just too compelling to cast away.
    I agree with Mr. Long.
    Sandy Hausler

Wow! Idiots. Well, we'll see how it goes. (When I respond to a post, I don't necessarily (in fact never) read any of the subsequent posts, which is why I hadn't read the post you refer to.)
    Turns out the Jacki Chan as Zheng Zu thing is an unconfirmed rumor. Time will tell what's really up.