Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

BANNED

Ah, that video gives me so many strange feelings.

Quote Originally Posted by Tien Long View Post
    Jeff Yang stated that if the actor can bring authenticity, complexity, and three-dimentionality to the Mandarin, than he would be all for it. And that's what a lot of people are banking on. That's why it's okay to use the Mandarin in this film.
    Indeed, I was personally annoyed that when they made that Flash Gordon series a few years back they turned Ming the Merciless into a regular White guy. No orientalism save for the name. It was a net loss for Asians. It was an opportunity for an Asian actor to transform a pulp-era villain into a multi-faceted character instead it was just another opportunity for a White actor and it still equaled Yellow face and erasure.

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    I personaly only find the asians doing martial arts stereotype off putting when it a movie with only one Asian in it and hes a Kung fu expert. If the movie is a mostly Asian cast people doing Kung fu is fine. That's like calling Ip Man or any Kung Fu movie racist.
    Even being the lone Asian is cool. Pat Morita's Mr.Miyagi in Karate Kid could've been the worse type of Asian caricature but they made him into a full fledged character. He had a strong personality and a well fleshed out backstory. People genuinely liked him.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    Having read this, I'm going to be CRUSHINGLY disappointed if this film doesn't feature a two-mile long robotic dragon.
    I hope they bring in Madripoor and have it on the back of a gigantic turtle like in some comic I read(Am I mismembering?). Then Fin Fang Foom can fight the giant Madripoor turtle. Godzilla vs Gamera on steroids!

Quote Originally Posted by Star_Jammer View Post
    I don't understand the problematic part. Is this an "All Asians look the same" thing? And how is creating mirror images of oneself functionally different than creating clones?
    The faceless Golden Horde attacking is imagery all the way back from Rome(Attila) to the Middle Ages(Genghis Khan) to Chinese railroad and mine workers and then Vietnamese landing in America back in the 80's. In every instance the threat of an invasion from a horde of Asians was used to de-humanize Asian Men.

Whereas simple reflections, house of mirrors style brings to mind a much more fresh imagery. That of the final fight scene in Enter the Dragon or for those Classic movie enthusiasts The Lady from Shanghai.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelC View Post
    Because apparently anything and everything is problematic to some people when it comes to the subject of how Asians should be presented.
    Sorry bud you don't get to tell me what offends me and what doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    it only happened in Hickman's Avengers run. he was exposed to radiation from the Incursions. i don't know if he still has that ability, to be honest.
    Didn't he also grow to huge proportions using Pym Particles? Yellow Goliath wasn't a shining moment in Hickman's era.

Quote Originally Posted by HowitzerJoe View Post
    Our taste in beauty is so wrapped up in self-hate and tribalism in Asia that it's almost impossible to comprehend. Much of the disliking in Simu's selection has to do with his Northern/Manchu features. For centuries the Manchu controlled all of China and now that the Han have the power they seem determined to confirm their ascendance in every facet of life deeming any different appearance ugly.

White worship is another part of it. Whether due to having lived under the yoke of Europeans or the pervasive influence of White media like much of the world they have identified White features as something to aspire to. Some believe that the fact that Simu has slanted monolid eyes is an insult to China. Eyelid surgery is extremely popular in the Chinese entertainment industry. Just look at Fan Bing Bing, Jacky Wu Jing and even freaking Jackie Chan.

One more factor is present tensions between America and China. Every move by America is viewed under a microscope and nefarious motives are assigned to even the slightest of misdeeds. The fact that Simu is Canadian doesn't help matters because of Canada's recent imprisonment of a Huawei executive at the behest of the U.S. That action has led to retaliatory actions from China that may have cost Canada billions.
    Last edited by Mr.Majestic; 08-11-2019 at 12:30 AM.

So a couple of thoughts on the Asian Boss video:

- I'm a huge fan of Asian Boss. They don't pretend to be the comprehensive, definitive voice on all Asian matters. Rather, they provide that "person on the street" view of a topic that honestly not a lot of people outside of Asia get.

- That being said, seeing those interviews did hurt. Now, I totally understand where they are coming from. China has different standards of beauty and they want the best depicted out there. Because outside of China, there aren't a lot of examples out there. More importantly, Chinese wanted themselves to have a say in who gets into the movie, not just Hollywood.

- As a counter, Simu Liu posted this response on his Facebook:

OOF 3.5 AND they pronounced my name wrong!

On a serious note, I think this is a very teachable moment. I've had people question me my entire life. A lot of teachers thought I'd never amount to anything, a lot of producers, directors, writers AND costars have questioned my acting ability, and I've been rejected from countless conservatories, grants, programs, etc. I've been second-guessed at every single possible step of my career.

The reason why I'm still standing is because I'm singularly focused, I have the utmost belief in my abilities and I refuse to let the opinions of others define me. In your careers, in your lives, no matter where you go, you will always encounter voices of doubt. Some will come from people who are frighteningly close to you. Are you going to let those voices own you?

That isn't to say you can't have bad days, and that you shouldn't use your support systems and talk about how you feel like I'm doing right now. I've never been called ugly so many times in my entire life! For me, it's never been about trying to shut the voices out - it's a fruitless effort (especially if people happen to be making Youtube videos about it lol). Rather, it's about learning to let the voices exist and be OKAY with it. I'm still doing my thing, and I'm still over the moon happy I get this amazing opportunity.

I'm not going a few voices of doubt ruin that for me, and neither should you, in whatever you are pursuing in your life.

(I also seriously question the integrity of the channel that puts this up LOL)
    The hope is Simu's acting will win audiences over. Class act right there. We're with you all the way bro!
    Last edited by Tien Long; 08-11-2019 at 06:47 AM.
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

Quote Originally Posted by Tien Long View Post
    More importantly, Chinese wanted themselves to have a say in who gets into the movie, not just Hollywood.
    Seems kind of strange, IMO. This is still a marvel property at the end of the day. Reminds me of the petition someone started to have the money made from the Black Panther movie given to the "black community". Can't remember what percentage they wanted but either way it obviously wasn't happening lol.
    HEY KIDS, (BUY MY) COMICS!! https://www.mythworldemedia.com/store

Simu will do fine. And so will the film in China I'm betting.

Marvel Studios Looking To Cast Female Chinese-American Secret Agent For Upcoming Feature Film (EXCLUSIVE)

https://discussingfilm.net/2019/08/1...ilm-exclusive/