Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    He had Slattery killed right? Probably mention that.
    Slattery was imprisoned in the all hail the king one-shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    If memory serves someone in the employ of the real Mandarin came and broke him out of prison, to take him to Mandarin.
    HEY KIDS, (BUY MY) COMICS!! https://www.mythworldemedia.com/store

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Slattery's death will likely come up in this. I could see the Mandarin's servant or key adviser telling Shang-Chi , "The master took great pleasure in killing Slattery. He was dismayed he could not do the same to Aldrich Killian who escaped his wraith."
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Quote Originally Posted by G. Boney View Post
    If memory serves someone in the employ of the real Mandarin came and broke him out of prison, to take him to Mandarin.
    Other way around. Someone working for the Mandarin posed as an interviewer to get Slattery alone. He killed Slattery's bodyguard and the officers in the room. Then you hear commotion, an unseen force, presumably the Mandarin, break INTO prison. The fake interviewer holds Slattery at gunpoint till the Mandarin can get to him, which apparently happens off screen.

Ha, well, we've been talking about this film for months over at the Shang-Chi thread, but damn....it's finally happening. We're having a Shang-Chi film!

Quote Originally Posted by Kusanagi View Post
    I don't know about domestic, but Shang Chi seems like a license to print money in China.
    Maybe, maybe not. When the film was first announced, a lot of Chinese didn't like the Yellow Peril origins of Fu Manchu (more on him later). Furthermore, there were a lot of other things working against a Shang-Chi film in China. His name really makes no sense in Chinese. Him fighting against his father might turn certain Chinese away. Kung Fu is actually passe in China, as MMA has become the main martial art that's popular.

But hey, maybe this will work. Maybe we'll get a fully realized and nuanced Chinese character who just so happens to do Kung Fu. A lot of Chinese (and Asians and Asian-Americans in general) can relate to not living up to their parents' expectations, which is essentially what Shang-Chi has always been about. People in China have liked the fact that a Chinese will play the MCU's first Chinese superhero. Plus, you have stars like Tony Leung (who has incredible acting chops in China and Hong Kong) as well as Akwafina (maybe she'll be Leiko Wu? Fingers crossed!) who will be starring in this as well.

A lot of maybe's. But yeah, maybe the Master of Kung Fu can pull it off .

I wonder if this movie will address the fake Mandarin from Iron Man 3. In any case, the character is an ingenious replacement for Fun Manchu
    Oh yeah, the Mandarin as Shang-Chi's father fits like a glove! I'm hoping they combine elements of the Mandarin and Zheng Zu for the film. The ten rings with Zheng Zu's cunning and craftiness would make for an excellent combination!
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

Quote Originally Posted by Nate Grey View Post
    Other way around. Someone working for the Mandarin posed as an interviewer to get Slattery alone. He killed Slattery's bodyguard and the officers in the room. Then you hear commotion, an unseen force, presumably the Mandarin, break INTO prison. The fake interviewer holds Slattery at gunpoint till the Mandarin can get to him, which apparently happens off screen.

I have no idea who this character is, but if the trailer is good, I'll give it a shot.

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    I have no idea who this character is, but if the trailer is good, I'll give it a shot.
    The Mandarin was an aristocrat who was raised by an aunt who hated him to be a sort of super-soldier. She caused him to spend every bit of his money becoming the perfect martial artist, conqueror, and master of pretty much every intellectual field. She also twisted him into having a social darwinian view of the world. Sort of a blend of X-23 and Roman Sionis aka Black Mask. She blew the entire family fortune training and twisting him. Then he became a wanderer. He eventually discovered and looted some alien resources, and enslaved the natives around those resources. Kind of like Christopher Columbus with a sci-fi element. His real name is uncertain, but Tem Borjigin seems to have the most continuity backing it.

TDR version: think Black Mask's general backstory with Batman's training.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelC View Post
    The Mandarin was an aristocrat...
    I think they were talking about Shang-Chi.

BANNED

IGN's coverage said they teased that the 10 rings have been quietly around for quite some time in their films. I think we knew that from Iron Man, but they said there were hints in Ant Man and other movies as well.

Their announcements today, the vision they display, the casting they accomplish, the fits they find for characters....it's pretty damn amazing really.

Rebellious son of a long-lived tyrant who wants to rule the world. Respected by the likes of Captain America, Wolverine, Daredevil, Iron Fist, and Spider-Man. The undisputed master of Kung Fu in the Marvel Universe.

Those are the broad strokes. But what broad strokes !

Quote Originally Posted by Theleviathan View Post
    IGN's coverage said they teased that the 10 rings have been quietly around for quite some time in their films. I think we knew that from Iron Man, but they said there were hints in Ant Man and other movies as well.

Their announcements today, the vision they display, the casting they accomplish, the fits they find for characters....it's pretty damn amazing really.
    Great to hear about the Ten Rings. The fact that there have been hints of it throughout the other MCU films is a treat. Shadowy, not well-known, that's precisely how Shang-Chi's father would want it . Maybe the Ten Rings becomes the new Hydra in the MCU.

I'm glad with the casting and characters. Social media has been buzzing with hype for the Mandarin and Akwafina, which is well-deserved by the way. Still, we got to make sure Shang gets that attention as well.
    "I am a man of peace."

BANNED

I wonder if he will have his self-cloning capabilities in the movie?

Niffleheim

Quote Originally Posted by Star_Jammer View Post
    I wonder if he will have his self-cloning capabilities in the movie?
    I can just see the name of the second movie title being Multiplicity

Astonishing Member

This looks great,for sure one of the movies from MCU Phase Four i am looking forward the most.
    Usually is easy to guess the first villain of a comic book character having read the comic books.
    But i could had never guessed that Mandarin would be the first villain of Shang Chi first movies,because he is not a villain from the Master of Kung Fu stories.
    But i think Mandarin being the villain is cool.
    Shang Chi stories were the most Kung Fu centred stories way back so i am intrigued to see how this will be in a MCU movie.

Great video from last night's presentation! Loved learning more about Cretton's background from Hawaii as well as Simu Liu talk in Chinese! I can see his charisma and humor!
    "I am a man of peace."