Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Tien Long View Post
    Rebellious son of a long-lived tyrant who wants to rule the world. Respected by the likes of Captain America, Wolverine, Daredevil, Iron Fist, and Spider-Man. The undisputed master of Kung Fu in the Marvel Universe.

Those are the broad strokes. But what broad strokes !

Great to hear about the Ten Rings. The fact that there have been hints of it throughout the other MCU films is a treat. Shadowy, not well-known, that's precisely how Shang-Chi's father would want it . Maybe the Ten Rings becomes the new Hydra in the MCU.

I'm glad with the casting and characters. Social media has been buzzing with hype for the Mandarin and Akwafina, which is well-deserved by the way. Still, we got to make sure Shang gets that attention as well.
    Having the 10 rings and Hydra lurking around gives Marvel plenty to work with on a smaller scale to build towards bigger things.

Anyone think they'll be connecting whatever the Guardians/Eternals/Thor/CM are doing out in space with the alien tech in Mandarin's rings? Seems like one way they could bridge this phase....

Astonishing Member

This should easily work and be a great hit. A great story, amazing martial arts work. They have a lot of "fighter types" in MCU, they need to establish his utter supremacy in martial arts. If done right it should elevate him to a top tier character in terms of worldwide recognition. MCU has done that before several times no reason they cant here

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kidfresh512 View Post
    This should easily work and be a great hit. A great story, amazing martial arts work. They have a lot of "fighter types" in MCU, they need to establish his utter supremacy in martial arts. If done right it should elevate him to a top tier character in terms of worldwide recognition. MCU has done that before several times no reason they cant here
    How many martial arts characters does Marvel have? Shang, Iron Fist and the weapons of the seven heavenly cities are the ones I'm aware of.

Ultimate Member

It'd be darkly funny if in the Mandarin's lair you just see a skull mounted up with Trevor's beard on it.

Also I hope that the fight scenes here are at least as good as they were in TWS, if not better.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    How many martial arts characters does Marvel have? Shang, Iron Fist and the weapons of the seven heavenly cities are the ones I'm aware of.
    The Sons of the Tiger, Daughters of the Dragon (or half of them anyway...Colleen Wing), Daredevil (can't use him right now of course), White Tiger (the original one, not sure if his sister is a martial artist) are a few that come to mind.
    HEY KIDS, (BUY MY) COMICS!! https://www.mythworldemedia.com/store

I'd have to say that Shang-Chi was one of the properties I was least interested in. Hearing that the Mandarin will be in the movie has instantly made it a must-see. I cannot wait to see what they do with the Mandarin in this movie.
    Find me on Instagram and Twitter - @arfguy
    https://whoaskd.com/

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne View Post
    The comics definitely should follow the MCU's lead. This solves their whole Fu Manchu problem.
    This does make sense. It still makes my teeth grind a bit that they're repurposing Iron Man's archfoe for somebody else.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by G. Boney View Post
    The Sons of the Tiger, Daughters of the Dragon (or half of them anyway...Colleen Wing), Daredevil (can't use him right now of course), White Tiger (the original one, not sure if his sister is a martial artist) are a few that come to mind.
    White Tiger is powered by the same 3 amulets The Sons of the Tiger used to wear. IIRC, it amplified The Sons' martial arts abilities, and I think it did the same for WT, but with more abilities (including healing) as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Arfguy View Post
    I'd have to say that Shang-Chi was one of the properties I was least interested in. Hearing that the Mandarin will be in the movie has instantly made it a must-see. I cannot wait to see what they do with the Mandarin in this movie.
    It's cool. Helps to elevate the film more by having this character.

Speaking of the Mandarin, the South China Morning Post wrote this article concerning the importance of Tony Leung's casting as the Mandarin in the film:

https://www.scmp.com/lifestyle/enter...marvel-villain

Seems that a lot of thought went into that casting, considering Tony is one of the most recognized and famous actors in Asia, especially with Chinese audiences. He's starred in a number of Zhang Yimou and War Kai Wong films. Additionally, the release of the film coincides just with the Chinese New Year holiday which is one of the most lucrative times for movies. Being a villain is a new thing for him considering he's usually been the good guy. Finally, the Mandarin possibly could be a major part of the MCU moving forward and a guy like Tony could carry the Mandarin character through multiple films.
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

Ultimate Member

The fact that they got Tony at all is impressive, he's a legend in Hong Kong but hasn't done a ton of Western films.

Extraordinary Member

I'm a big Tony Leung fan from way back (Ashes Of Time, in fact).

I couldn't be happier about this.

Quote Originally Posted by G. Boney View Post
    Lol Ava is way better martial artist than Hector.

is it only me, or does the titel "shang chi AND the legend of the 10 rings" imply an adventurous element in the spirit of indiana jones?
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

Quote Originally Posted by abulafia View Post
    is it only me, or does the titel "shang chi AND the legend of the 10 rings" imply an adventurous element in the spirit of indiana jones?

Yeah, that was my first thought when I saw the title as well. Very strong Indiana Jones vibe, which is to say a 30's pulp adventure vibe.

Considering Shang Chi is usually portrayed in Marvel as "Kung Fu James Bond" then that pulp feel seems right