Page 20 of 32 FirstFirst ... 1016171819202122232430 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Ignoring RT and metacritic scoring numbers or whatever. I think people should care more about the content words, which I am reading , sometimes with reading MCU reviews, it is hard to pick on many things that should matter because the ''critics'' and fan reviews always tells us how fun, funny, a blast and action packed these movies are and there is not much film artistic critical content you can pick on.

Be that as it may, most of the reviews I have read did confirm some of my predictions. the potential messiness, the likely thin plot which is just a no no for multiverse stories (Forbes reviews) and over the top action/cgi, MCU formula still winning out over Sam Raimi direction and yeah, the fan services that can be overkill. ( I guess since Patrick Stewart showed up on the red carpet. it is confirmation he is movie and this is where I get iffy.

They are no reason why he should have been brought back after Logan for one reason, MCU cant make a movie like Logan, so dont bring the characters back from those films, especially when it was one of the characters we said farewell too, bringing him back in what may turn out to be a weaker movie, cheapens a lot and from a story stand point, this is where the fan service will dominate over the character arcs.

Hopefully I do get to see the film and not back out as I did with Mobius because from the reviews and my comic book fatigueness. I may not end up watching the movie if it is just too much rinse and repeat of a standard marvel film.

Just a throw away about rotten tomatoes since some still love it so much, the reviews are actually mixed, however most critics are still giving it a fresh in the end, which is standard for MCU films, this is why 99% of their movies are rated fresh, but if you read some to most of their reviews, the reviews are actually more mixed in words but positive in numbers. MCU happens to be the only franchise of all the comic films to have this pattern of critical consensus.
    Last edited by Castle; 05-03-2022 at 07:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by C_Miller View Post
    I'm excited about Raimi, but the more I hear about this movie the less excited I am. Maybe I'd be a little less jaded if it didn't come directly after the cameo fest of Spider-Man: No Way Home. It doesn't help that I didn't really care for the first Doctor Strange.

The further we move forward past Endgame, the more it feels like the MCU is beginning to collapse under its own weight. I've loved pieces. Wandavision is one of my favorite entries into the entire world, Shang Chi was a lot of fun and Spider-Man: No Way Home was fantastic with what it set out to do. But, the whole universe feels listless. When Doctor Strange comes out this week, it will be the sixth movie since Endgame. By the time we had 6 movies in Phase 1, it was the Avengers, which gave us a look as to what the series was going to look like.

Not only do we have those six movies, we also have five TV shows with none of them giving any indication as to the greater purpose. Now, it would be one thing if we were moving to being more stand alone, but that's not the case. I don't know. Maybe this will be good or something. But, the legendary superhero fatigue may be finally getting me.
    I feel like it's building up to Kang either directly or indirectly.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Nate Grey View Post
    *shrugs* I trust Raimi. If he felt like he wasn't a good fit, I'm sure he would have said no. Can't wait to see it.
    From most of the reviews, Raimi works between within the circle of the MCU formula, so I will not advice to trust Raimi in that content. he is making a movie for marvel, it is hard to tell if he is a good fit or not based on that. In one of the recent interviews with Matt Reeves, he said that while he respects the MCU, he just cant direct a MCU movie because he would have to work with too much limitations and just get lost. Raimi and Matt Reeves are in the same league in terms of talent.

https://www.cinemablend.com/superher...s-what-he-says

Now for Sam Raimi here, I understand the connection because he defined many of our teen hoods with his Spiderman films but we have to ignore that for Dr Strange 2. The is not the same Raimi, additionally the VFX value difference? Raimi's VFX of Spiderman 2 looked superior to Dr Strange, no chance that a director of Sam Raimi league, can have weaker VFX 20 years after in the same film genre. that should be an artistic film impossibility but these movie does, because Raimi, despite his talents still has to work within the Marvel system.

So I just wont compare much of the great Sam Raimi with these movie and what he has done in the past.
    Last edited by Castle; 05-03-2022 at 08:01 AM.

Spectacular Member Material Flux's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by C_Miller View Post
    I'm excited about Raimi, but the more I hear about this movie the less excited I am. Maybe I'd be a little less jaded if it didn't come directly after the cameo fest of Spider-Man: No Way Home. It doesn't help that I didn't really care for the first Doctor Strange.

The further we move forward past Endgame, the more it feels like the MCU is beginning to collapse under its own weight. I've loved pieces. Wandavision is one of my favorite entries into the entire world, Shang Chi was a lot of fun and Spider-Man: No Way Home was fantastic with what it set out to do. But, the whole universe feels listless. When Doctor Strange comes out this week, it will be the sixth movie since Endgame. By the time we had 6 movies in Phase 1, it was the Avengers, which gave us a look as to what the series was going to look like.

Not only do we have those six movies, we also have five TV shows with none of them giving any indication as to the greater purpose. Now, it would be one thing if we were moving to being more stand alone, but that's not the case. I don't know. Maybe this will be good or something. But, the legendary superhero fatigue may be finally getting me.
    The thing with Phase 1 was that it was building towards something, i.e. the Avengers, so the anticipation was what got people interested.

Right now the MCU has shifted to a mode where now that they've built this world, they're simply creating new stories that can fit in there with enough diversity to attract different types of viewers. This is the frame of mind you should consume MCU content with at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Rat View Post
    He didn't say no to Spider-Man 3. And from what I've read this feels a lot like a similar situation.
    Interestingly enough, I was intimating Spider-Man 3 with my comment. His bad experience on that, would prevent him walking into a similar scenario, one would think anyway. Hence, if he felt it was Spider-Man 3 all over again just with Disney instead of Sony, I'm sure he would have said no.

Not sure what you "read", but good luck with that. I'll stick to giving Raimi the benefit of the doubt, thanks. If I'm wrong I'll gladly come back here and say so.

Sounds like every fear Wanda fans had about this movie were right.

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    From most of the reviews, Raimi works between within the circle of the MCU formula, so I will not advice to trust Raimi in that content. he is making a movie for marvel, it is hard to tell if he is a good fit or not based on that. In one of the recent interviews with Matt Reeves, he said that while he respects the MCU, he just cant direct a MCU movie because he would have to work with too much limitations and just get lost. Raimi and Matt Reeves are in the same league.

https://www.cinemablend.com/superher...s-what-he-says

Now for Sam Raimi here, I understand the connection because he defined may of our teen words with his Spiderman films but we have to ignore that for Dr Strange 2. The is not the same Raimi, additionally the VFX value difference? Raimi's VFX of Spiderman 2 looked superior to Dr Strange, no chance that a director of Sam Raimi league, can have weaker VFX 20 years after in the same film genre. that should be an artistic film impossibility but these movie does, because Raimi, despite his talents still has to work within the Marvel system.

So I just wont compare much of the great Sam Raimi with these movie and what he has done in the past.
    See response to Matt, it applies to you too, verbatim.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Rat View Post
    Yes really.

RT only ever matters to you people when it scores things to your liking. Anytime it doesn't, you just act contrarian and enjoy whatever Marvel puts out anyway.

He didn't say no to Spider-Man 3. And from what I've read this feels a lot like a similar situation.
    Why the defensiveness?

The funny thing is that the RT score has actually dropped from 89% to 80% so it might actually end up in mixed review territory.
    Last edited by Username taken; 05-03-2022 at 10:41 AM.

Ultimate Member

I’m actually surprised to hear that Danny Elfman scored this.

If I remember correctly he and Raimi fell out during the making of the original Spider-man movies. I guess they made up because they had a rather longstanding relationship.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Sounds like every fear Wanda fans had about this movie were right.
    Yup her page is full of Seething fans

Astonishing Member

The first Doctor strange brought in 232 million domestic. Some are predicting 200 million this weekend alone.

I have done good and avoided spoilers for this movie for the most part. I am still looking forward to seeing this movie this weekend despite the mixed reviews so far. Every entry in the MCU isn't going to be the Infinity War/ End Game, No Way Home master piece. From what I heard, the film is a fun ride and does some interesting things for the MCU going forward.

Like a month ago though, I did come across something that claimed to be a spoiler for this movie. I won't say what it is but in regards another hero that recently got a lot of love from fans and I hope that what I read isn't true... But still pumped to see the movie.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Maestro 216 View Post
    Yup her page is full of Seething fans
    I don’t blame them.

Some spoilers have come out that I find a little “problematic”.

www.taurianfilms.com KabutoRyder's Avatar

im here for live action Captain Carter no matter how brief the cameo may be.
    Geek / Gamer / Filmmaker / Indy Pro Wrestler
    @SebastionEnvi (Twitter/Instagram)
    youtube.com/SkunkLifeMedia

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    I don’t blame them.

Some spoilers have come out that I find a little “problematic”.
    Should be Wanda's middle name at this point.