Page 24 of 32 FirstFirst ... 14202122232425262728 ... LastLast

Wow, full throttle is right. This movie had so much horror and violence and sorcery. In feel it really reminded me of some of the best Dr. Strange comic books I have read, especially from the Ditko era when it was firmly a horror magic book.

Also I loved America Chavez
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

So for me that's two movies out of two that I hated. Spidey and Strange have been so disappointing to me.

The story is so fan servicey that it quite literally loses the plot.

Moreover, I wish Disney was brave enough to pause all MCU films until Covid protocols end because these movies look sooo bad.

I mean the MCU was getting criticism before Covid but now the green screening is getting out of hand, every outside shot looks like a CW show, the lighting is out of control, the wigs are horrible, I can't believe how much better the earlier MCU movies looked (at least the Eternals looked gorgeous). I honestly feel bad for young MCU fans who couldn't enjoy the earlier MCU films in theaters and seen how good they looked.

I am going to give Thor a chance because I love Aaron's run, but if this was looks as bad as these two - I'm done. I may be aging out of the MCU.

Disappointing, underwhelming. Promised so much, delivered so little. Gotta learn to temper my expectations with MCU movies from now on.

Unglaublich!

We went to see this last night (opening night in the UK) and, like others, I left feeling quite disappointed with it.

I HATED Wanda's entire arc. It pretty much doubled back on everything in Wandavision, to the point where she seemed to learn nothing from the events in Westview at all. I get that grief can be a powerful force but I feel like the writer just destroyed everything that made MCU Wanda what she was. She was just stone cold in this for the majority of it and, to me, that isn't who Wanda is in this universe.

The Illuminati was pure fan service. It didn't seem to serve any real story purpose... it was just "Look who we can shoehorn into this movie for the sake of it!" Although I'm sure that Strange's comment to spoilers:
    Reed Richards
    end of spoilers about the 1960s is a big part of the setup for a later movie.

I'm starting to tire of all the CGI battles now, I think. I miss the days of a proper hand to hand scrap and I wish the MCU would make a "smaller" film, rather than each one having to be bigger and more spectacular than the one before it. It seems that Disney+ is getting the smaller stories and all the "epic" ones have to go on the big screen without fail.

Overall, not a big fan of this movie. It could've been incredible but, for me, it missed the mark by a long long way...

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix Raptor View Post
    We went to see this last night (opening night in the UK) and, like others, I left feeling quite disappointed with it.

I HATED Wanda's entire arc. It pretty much doubled back on everything in Wandavision, to the point where she seemed to learn nothing from the events in Westview at all. I get that grief can be a powerful force but I feel like the writer just destroyed everything that made MCU Wanda what she was. She was just stone cold in this for the majority of it and, to me, that isn't who Wanda is in this universe.

The Illuminati was pure fan service. It didn't seem to serve any real story purpose... it was just "Look who we can shoehorn into this movie for the sake of it!" Although I'm sure that Strange's comment to spoilers:
    Reed Richards
    end of spoilers about the 1960s is a big part of the setup for a later movie.

I'm starting to tire of all the CGI battles now, I think. I miss the days of a proper hand to hand scrap and I wish the MCU would make a "smaller" film, rather than each one having to be bigger and more spectacular than the one before it. It seems that Disney+ is getting the smaller stories and all the "epic" ones have to go on the big screen without fail.

Overall, not a big fan of this movie. It could've been incredible but, for me, it missed the mark by a long long way...
    I said this in the MCU thread in the Marvel Forum, but it seems that the Disney is making the same mistake they did in Iron Man 2 and Age of Ultron, I feel like there was a great cadence of introducing concepts and characters organically, but now it feels totally shoehorned.

I mean think about how Brolin's Thanos was introduced in GoTG, but in this movie there's actual pause for the audience to whoop and holler.

spoilers:
    Gotta love Professor X. The guy's been blown up, stabbed, had his neck broken, been shot, poisoned, frozen, hung, electrocuted, and burned. And every morning, he wakes up without a scratch on him, not a dent in the fender... He is an immortal.
    end of spoilers

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

A funny thing in the screening here in the Philippines was that they first showed trailers of Lightyear, then Tom Cruise's Top Gun: Maverick. So for all the "Tom Cruise as Superior Iron Man" stans,
    spoilers:
    Congrats, your wish to see Cruise on the big screen during Multiverse of Madness was fulfilled. Sort of.
    end of spoilers
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by James T. Kirk View Post
    Disappointing, underwhelming. Promised so much, delivered so little. Gotta learn to temper my expectations with MCU movies from now on.
    What did it promise that it didn't actually do?

Seemed to me like what most people were expecting aside from Wanda

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    What did it promise that it didn't actually do?

Seemed to me like what most people were expecting aside from Wanda
    Alot of people are upset because expectations were built so high with those rumours and potential cameos (none of which were ever promised beyond Patrick Stewart and John Krasinski).

I get the Wanda criticisms though. But, the thing is, where that ultimately ended up going doesn't necessarily mean that's it. Marvel obviously have plans for that. You can tell by the way they spoilers:
    left her ultimate fate unknown
    end of spoilers

Extraordinary Member

Doctor Strange In The Multiverse Of Madness Quick Out Of Theater Review

Extraordinary Member

Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness Review [NO SPOILERS]

Some national media reviews which criticize the movie as lacking Avengers MCU coherence, building up to Infinity War, are missing the point and several clues about what seems to be unfolding.

Like the Avengers films, this movie does create space for other movies and pave the way for a future epic.

Swap Dr. Strange for Nick Fury, read up on Illuminati + Incursions, and what the Russo Brothers want to do next, and you can see where this is headed.

Other than that - Scarlet Witch has a long history of oscillating between misunderstood and deranged. This film did a great job of portraying that. Like it or not.

Pass the popcorn!

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by HomoSuperior View Post
    Some national media reviews which criticize the movie as lacking Avengers MCU coherence, building up to Infinity War, are missing the point and several clues about what seems to be unfolding.

Like the Avengers films, this movie does create space for other movies and pave the way for a future epic.

Swap Dr. Strange for Nick Fury, read up on Illuminati + Incursions, and what the Russo Brothers want to do next, and you can see where this is headed.

Other than that - Scarlet Witch has a long history of oscillating between misunderstood and deranged.
    This film did a great job of portraying that. Like it or not.

Pass the popcorn!
    Not like this, though. She's straight up murdering people in this film. That's not MCU or comics Wanda. They just used her children as an excuse to make her into some big bad villain. So the original Avengers ladies in universe are killed off (BW) and made into a villain. Let's not forget Gamorra was also killed off and the current one is a time-displaced Gamorra. Marvel just doesn't know what to do with their lady characters and they're very clearly just set up to prop up male characters or the story. Lame.

Quote Originally Posted by Shimbo View Post
    Not like this, though. She's straight up murdering people in this film. That's not MCU or comics Wanda. They just used her children as an excuse to make her into some big bad villain. So the original Avengers ladies in universe are killed off (BW) and made into a villain. Let's not forget Gamorra was also killed off and the current one is a time-displaced Gamorra. Marvel just doesn't know what to do with their lady characters and they're very clearly just set up to prop up male characters or the story. Lame.
    I agree. I've always been uncomfortable with how the comics treat Wanda as someone who is hysterical (in the traditional definition of the word) and in two-thousand-twenty-second year of our Lord, we not only took that storyline and upped it to degrees that the comics never dared to do. It's crazy to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Shimbo View Post
    Not like this, though. She's straight up murdering people in this film. That's not MCU or comics Wanda. They just used her children as an excuse to make her into some big bad villain. Marvel just doesn't know what to do with their lady characters and they're very clearly just set up to prop up male characters or the story. Lame.
    Avengers disassembled - Wanda kills several avengers after being confronted with the reality her children aren’t real. House of M: Wanda is in further decline and uses her powers to warp reality, killing millions of mutants. Like it or not, this is Scarlet Witch canon.

Re: “Marvel doesn’t know what to do with their lady characters.” Plenty of examples say otherwise. One might argue “lady characters” aren’t being given true representation if they are always portrayed as perfect, divine beings. Birthing children doesn’t make one exempt from being flawed. The world is full of misguided and terrible mothers (and fathers) — and that’s a tragedy.