Page 5 of 32 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

They never said it was gonna be a horror movie. They said it'd be scary. I think Derrikson's department has more to do with Marvel wanting the movie to set up a whole lot of stuff with the multiverse, connecting it with WandaVision and Loki, etc. Basically, focusing on the shared universe, or now, multiverse. While Scott probably wanted it to be a bit more standalone like the first one.

Quote Originally Posted by Beaddle View Post
    This must be just another day at the MCU office. another one of their many directors has stepped down due to the usual creative difference issue that has been going on in marvel for almost a decade.

https://www.cbr.com/doctor-strange-m...on-steps-down/

"Marvel Studios and Scott Derrickson have amicably parted ways on Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness due to creative differences," the studio said. "We remain grateful to Scott for his contributions to the [Marvel Cinematic Universe]."

I can't say I am surprised, Disney just banned the movie from been a horror film last week, 1 week later the director quits.

https://collider.com/is-doctor-stran...e-new-details/

I am not expecting anything from this movie but any thing in the range of GOTG and Thor 3 will be such a terrible idea. the first film had a thin generic story but the concept had potential that could be built upon. so anything in the range of ant man, gotg, thor 3 will be a major step backwards.

This is why many marvel fans are going to support new mutants if the movie turns out good. the movie has the balls to do what Disney obviously can't do with Dr strange.
    If you want people to take you seriously you should try being at least a LITTLE bit subtle.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    Could they get Peele ? Get Out was legit afaik.
    Peele said awhile ago that he was going to focus on his own projects instead of doing a franchise movie. I'm also pretty sure his schedule is filled up for the foreseeable future.

I thought Derrickson did a solid job with the first movie, but I felt the Russo's did a better job of realizing Strange on-film, so I'm not against a new creative team.

Astonishing Member

Does anyone think that Marvel Studios may have a replacement already lined up? I think it's possible because:

1. Derrickson has been making noises on twitter for a few months about difficulties on making movies. This may mean he's been ready to leave for awhile.

2. Both Derrickson and Marvel released statements that sounded remarkably similar. It's probable that they got together in crafting the statement. It's also possible that Derrickson made his decision early, but delayed it at Marvel's request.

3. Marvel has said DS 2 will not be delayed and will begin filming on schedule. I don't think they would say that unless a replacement was lined up.

Does anyone remember how long it took from Edgar Wright leaving Antman to the announcement that Peyton Reed would replace him? It happened fairly quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind View Post
    Does anyone think that Marvel Studios may have a replacement already lined up? I think it's possible because:

1. Derrickson has been making noises on twitter for a few months about difficulties on making movies. This may mean he's been ready to leave for awhile.

2. Both Derrickson and Marvel released statements that sounded remarkably similar. It's probable that they got together in crafting the statement. It's also possible that Derrickson made his decision early, but delayed it at Marvel's request.

3. Marvel has said DS 2 will not be delayed and will begin filming on schedule. I don't think they would say that unless a replacement was lined up.

Does anyone remember how long it took from Edgar Wright leaving Antman to the announcement that Peyton Reed would replace him? It happened fairly quickly.
    I don't know if they already have one but it's not hard for them to find one. I would be elated if they hire someone like Jordan Peele. He makes these Horror movies that are scary at times but they dont feel like Horror movies. Which i think would fit great with what Marvel wants to do. But this movie already has a skeleton and I dont know if Peele has interest in directing something that's not 100% his vision. But I'm sure they will have some director soon. Scheduling is gonna be the deciding factor since the movie would start heavy pre production not long from now. So they need somoen with a open schedule
    Last edited by Midvillian1322; 01-10-2020 at 02:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I thought Derrickson did a solid job with the first movie, but I felt the Russo's did a better job of realizing Strange on-film, so I'm not against a new creative team.
    I think alot of people felt Avengers Dr Stange was a much more realized version of the character. The Russos probaly heard people knocking all the quips and Pop culture jokes he made and decided to tone that down. I even liked how Waititi used Strange. He was funny in his Ragnarok scene because he was kind of a dick. It was all situational and physical comedy.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    I think alot of people felt Avengers Dr Stange was a much more realized version of the character. The Russos probaly heard people knocking all the quips and Pop culture jokes he made and decided to tone that down. I even liked how Waititi used Strange. He was funny in his Ragnarok scene because he was kind of a dick. It was all situational and physical comedy.
    Agreed, Doctor Strange was one of the weakest solo outings. Either the director has the feel for the character or they don't, it was probably best to cut bait.

I don't know if they already have one but it's not hard for them to find one. I would be elated if they hire someone like Jordan Peele. He makes these Horror movies that are scary at times but they dont feel like Horror movies. Which i think would fit great with what Marvel wants to do.
    I don't think this was their intention. obviously we have not seen the film. I can only go by MCU track record and the outcome of the past films. there is a good chance Scott was okay with Dr strange not been a full horror movie and just some scary scenes. perhaps those scary scenes, feige was forcing him to add jokes or to over color the scary scenes to devalue the scariness and he didn't agree so he left. that to me sounds like the only obvious creative differences that he had.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

I despise the DS solo flick so much and enjoyed the character in every scene he showed up afterwards

Quote Originally Posted by Beaddle View Post
    I don't think this was their intention. obviously we have not seen the film. I can only go by MCU track record and the outcome of the past films. there is a good chance Scott was okay with Dr strange not been a full horror movie and just some scary scenes. perhaps those scary scenes, feige was forcing him to add jokes or to over color the scary scenes to devalue the scariness and he didn't agree so he left. that to me sounds like the only obvious creative differences that he had.
    Derricksons Strange made quips and pop culture references non stop in his movie. Every other Marvel movie has nailed Stranges personality much better and got rid of the quips and references. But go head and blame Disney for the Jokes when it was only Derricksons version of the character who made jokes non stop. Seems like The russos/Waititi understood the character much better then derrickson

I was never of fan of his take on sorcerers as basically martial artists with telekinetic weapons.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Cochese View Post
    I was never of fan of his take on sorcerers as basically martial artists with telekinetic weapons.
    I liked the visuals at times but Dr Strange vs Thanos in Infinity war was just a way better representation of the characters powers then the stuff in his Solo movie imo. Dr Strange was one of my least favroite MCU movies but I still enjoyed it. The ending I liked cause it was creative and something u never woulda guessed in a CBM. Also enjoyed the idea of the Cape being a Magic carpet type characer. But yea hes one the directors I think will be the Easiest to replace.

Derricksons Strange made quips and pop culture references non stop in his movie. Every other Marvel movie has nailed Stranges personality much better and got rid of the quips and references. But go head and blame Disney for the Jokes when it was only Derricksons version of the character who made jokes non stop. Seems like The russos/Waititi understood the character much better then derrickson
    the jokes or rather excessive humor in Dr strange is present in all the other movies too. that was not Scott's fault, you can't blame him for Fiege Disney style of dialogue.

In all honesty I think Scott wanted to evolve as a director, perhaps step away from the formula which was going to be giving the movie more horror undertones and Disney wanted to still find away around that, he didn't like it, so he left.

I don't think Scott should get the most blame for that either. what are the points of sequels if you can't show actual growth and maturity as a director from the first film?
    Last edited by Beaddle; 01-12-2020 at 03:33 AM.

I hope Derrickson comes back at the last minute.

... as far as who can take over. I hope it's someone who was already interested in this specific franchise and not just "any" big budget film. But hey, we'll see. I guess.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    I hope Derrickson comes back at the last minute.

... as far as who can take over. I hope it's someone who was already interested in this specific franchise and not just "any" big budget film. But hey, we'll see. I guess.
    I think it will be an up and coming director as established directors may not want much to do with Disney as a whole right now, especially considering what keeps coming out about JJ Abrahams issues with TROS. If I'm a director I wouldn't want to be apart of the Star Wars franchise or Marvel franchise as you are immediately told what you can't do because of 1) Past framework that's been done 2) Fanbases that won't be pleased no matter what you do 3) the organization protecting of the existing brand.