Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    I think most people's problems with Portman was her total disdain for the role. They had to force her back for the second Thor with threats of litigation.
    Do you have a source for that?

Let’s face it her character was a little underwhelming. That’s mostly writing not acting. She seemed totally charming in the role, but the role just wasn’t very good.

This promises to be a much more interesting role. I imagine this has been on the cards for a while, and that it explains the voice work in Endgame and the red carpet appearance. Let’s not pretend this isn’t a great result for Marvel.

Also, it seems like Waititi is an Aaron fan, based on this and some of his comments in the director’s commentary for Ragnarok. This is pretty much perfect for the MCU IMO.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 07-21-2019 at 09:18 AM.
    “And I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, 'If this isn't nice, I don't know what is.” ― Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

See, one thought I had, which I can't seem to find the answer to is this:

Why have I seen Jane being called the next Thor instead of the next God/Goddess of Thunder?

Quote Originally Posted by Electricmastro View Post
    See, one thought I had, which I can't seem to find the answer to is this:

Why have I seen Jane being called the next Thor instead of the next God/Goddess of Thunder?
    Clearly because of the Aaron run in which she was named Thor and asserted to be a Thor in more than just name. But that’s a whole different argument. We don’t have details of this plot. It could play with multiversal ideas of alternative universes for all we know at this point.
    “And I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, 'If this isn't nice, I don't know what is.” ― Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Astonishing Member Godzilla2099's Avatar

I find Natalie Portman one of the worst actors.

Thor is one of my favorite Marvel Heroes but definitely not interested so far.

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    Do you have a source for that?

Let’s face it her character was a little underwhelming. That’s mostly writing not acting. She seemed totally charming in the role, but the role just wasn’t very good.

This promises to be a much more interesting role. I imagine this has been on the cards for a while, and that it explains the voice work in Endgame and the red carpet appearance. Let’s not pretend this isn’t a great result for Marvel.

Also, it seems like Waititi is an Aaron fan, based on this and some of his comments in the director’s commentary for Ragnarok. This is pretty much perfect for the MCU IMO.
    Her career by her own admission was in a slump post Prequels and Black Swan was the film they got her attention again and role she fought hard for and that film came out during the filming of Thor so who knows if it came out earlier if she would had done a franchise film like Thor.

Her dissatisfaction came from Patty Jenkins being fired from Thor the Dark World.

Personally I blame a lot of the past Director dramas like JF and Whedon getting a lot of notes on their sequels and Jenkins and Wright dropping out of their films on Perlmutter.

I think with Perlmutter gone the feeling of Marvel Studios has changed and while they must follow the plan for the future of the franchise it looks like Feige gives directors a lot of freedom and that with TW being on board probably enticed Portman back also being a hero/love interest and not just love interest was probably appealing too.

Astonishing Member

I'd rather see her as Thor then as Panda Bear dying of a broken heart during child birth over that execrable loser Anakin.

Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

Clearly because of the Aaron run in which she was named Thor and asserted to be a Thor in more than just name. But that’s a whole different argument. We don’t have details of this plot. It could play with multiversal ideas of alternative universes for all we know at this point.
    Ah right.

I just find it weird how Aaron seemed to go above and beyond in wanting to reinforce the idea of Jane being the next Thor, as if he has a fetish for it, as opposed to calling her the next God of Thunder. I imagine that might less problematic to have her just be called the next God of Thunder instead of the next Thor. Haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Electricmastro View Post
    Ah right.

I just find it weird how Aaron seemed to go above and beyond in wanting to reinforce the idea of Jane being the next Thor, as if he has a fetish for it, as opposed to calling her the next God of Thunder. I imagine that might less problematic to have her just be called the next God of Thunder instead of the next Thor. Haha.
    I have had this argument for years over in the comic forums so I don’t really want to repeat it here. Suffice to say it was super important to what Aaron was trying to say about Thor as an idea that Jane was more than just a mortal who was just wielding goddess powers, but that the goddess was Thor. It was certainly not just a ‘fetish’ the idea underpins every part of his ongoing story.

Only thing I'm surprised by is that it didn't happen before now.

The title is beyond stupid though, hopefully they change it.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne View Post
    Jane Thor might actually save the Thor movies. The Jason Aaron stories are a perfect fit for Waititi.
    Didn't Ragnarok already do that?

I find the idea that another Thor can save a franchise named after OG!Thor to be...I dunno, kinda depressing?
    I can kinda see it. Especially with the more irreverent, comedic, and Hercules-esque Thor.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Didn't Ragnarok already do that?

I find the idea that another Thor can save a franchise named after OG!Thor to be...I dunno, kinda depressing?

I can kinda see it. Especially with the more irreverent, comedic, and Hercules-esque Thor.
    Both Thor and Dark World films were hits just Ragnarok was a bigger hit and the one most people loved. Also Hemsworth is incredibly popular I don't see Portman needing to save anything but having her back will be nice since I liked her in the 1st 2 Thor films.

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

Thor was already “saved”. Now that Marvel figured out what they want to do with him, I’m interested to see what they’ll do with Jane.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

I am not trying to be a dick by really how imposing is a 5'3" 120lb Thor going to be? She is going to look like a little kid going trick or treating.

I imagine as imposing as Tessa Thompson's Valkyrie given Thompson is only an inch taller (5'4"). Plus superstrength is an awesome equalizer when it comes to height differences.

Ultimate Member

Carol/Valkyrie would be amazing as a couple, but I'm not getting my hopes up on that one. Hey what's Sif up to these days, hmm.

Also they must have really had a pitch that Portman liked, or Taika is just that freaking charming, for her to do such a turnaround on these films apparently.

Also I'd like to see OG Thor appear both here and in GOTG 3.