Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    Don’t underestimate how angry that made people. And how much of ‘reasonable criticism’ is informed by it. Every day I see people claiming incorrect nonsense or spinning things in extreme ways in the name of reason, despite regurgitating these people’s points word for word.
    After all this time of me spending on the internet, I've learned that that just about any announcement of a franchise that has a large fanbase is going to result in a minority of loud people, warranted or not. I'm not trying to underestimate anyone, but I'm not trying to overestimate anyone either. If we're actively not going to do anything about them, such as banning them from further speaking (or resort to jail time in the most extreme cases), then at that point, perhaps it's best to just ignore them. I'm sure there comes a point when you have to either actively do something about them to prevent from further spewing the nonsense you speak of or not, because continuing to simply point out all the bad people on the internet can only do so much and go so far.

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Its not like Portman can't get in more shape. When Gadot got the role people mocked her size and how she was too skinny to play Wonder Woman. Then she basically spent months doing this...

All Portman has to do is work out for a few months and get ready for this. She already is a terrific actress as we saw in Black Swan. A big complaint was her character really didn't do much in the prior Thor films and now they seem to be resolving this with this arc ahead.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Quote Originally Posted by Electricmastro View Post
    After all this time of me spending on the internet, I've learned that that just about any announcement of a franchise that has a large fanbase is going to result in a minority of loud people, warranted or not. I'm not trying to underestimate anyone, but I'm not trying to overestimate anyone either. If we're actively not going to do anything about them, such as banning them from further speaking (or resort to jail time in the most extreme cases), then at that point, perhaps it's best to just ignore them. I'm sure there comes a point when you have to either actively do something about them to prevent from further spewing the nonsense you speak of or not, because continuing to simply point out all the bad people on the internet can only do so much and go so far.
    On a basic level I agree. But we are all human. All this is is someone saying ‘take that’ to people who have probably pestered them for a long while. There is an element of validation, even for those of us that knew this was inevitable regardless of the casting. I mean, a couple of years ago I made a crude sketch of Portman in the iconic Goddess of Thunder helm, just to see how it would look. All around me were people moaning about Aaron’s audacity. I am not the kind of person who makes a habit of saying ‘told you so’ but just occasionally it is cathartic.
    “And I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, 'If this isn't nice, I don't know what is.” ― Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by Electricmastro View Post
    Wow, imagine being so reactionary to the point that you focus on the vocal minority of unreasonable complainers (or "comicsgaters") more so than the people making reasonable criticisms that are worth listening to, which seems to to be the case with the co-creator of The Punisher.

Thing is, that minority in question really sucked up all the oxygen online on the subject (and related topics) and spread a lot of misinformation, if not outright lies. With that background, there is something reassuring about seeing another nail in their coffin.

(Thought we weren't supposed to talk about Those Who Must Not Be Named on this forum, though?)
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Gunn confirmed this movie is set before GotGv3 and he is a part of the second unit with the possibility of directing some of his "crew" in the movie at some point.

Sounds like Team Thor and the Guardians will be intertwined for the next several phases.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Honestly, I mixed on the announcement. I liked Ragnarok but thought it to be two separate movies stitched together. MCU Jane and her relationship with Thor was underwhelming so I don't know if I want her back. Ironically I like her more as Valkryie than Thor so I wish they just skipped to that.

There's already a rumor of a love triangle in the movie.

Thor/Valkyrie are rumored to be competing for Jane's affections.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

I love Natalie Portman and was always so disappointed how wasted she was in the Thor movies. Well, I think she was good in the first one but I thought the second movie was a mess all around and her role being one of the weaker parts. But now to see her return and in the role of Jane!Thor? I'm so hyped

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post

That....could be interesting. Was wondering about that the moment that it was insinuated that Valkyrie would be falling in love with a woman in the film. Could appreciate the irony if Jane and she did become an item.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

They say Valkyrie will be depicted as bisexual in the movie, but I'm going to wait and see what actually makes it to the screen.

In the comic the Jane as Thor stuff was pretty horrible, but the same could be said of Civil War and the movies took the idea and made it into something really entertaining. Honestly, I never cared for how the Winter Soldier story retconned Bucky into some secret badass black ops guy but again, thhe movies took the idea ditched all the horrible stuff about it and made it work.

I'm willing to give this a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    In the comic the Jane as Thor stuff was pretty horrible, but the same could be said of Civil War and the movies took the idea and made it into something really entertaining. Honestly, I never cared for how the Winter Soldier story retconned Bucky into some secret badass black ops guy but again, thhe movies took the idea ditched all the horrible stuff about it and made it work.

In reality a movie is not a comic book series. It doesn’t have the time to do all of the things a comic book does. That means that for those of us that loved Jane as Thor it won’t be as detailed or as nuanced, and for those of us that didn’t it won’t be as drawn out and it won’t have the time to do some of the things they didn’t like.

Let’s not pretend that movies can fix stories. They are just totally different stories.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 07-26-2019 at 02:36 AM.
    “And I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, 'If this isn't nice, I don't know what is.” ― Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post

That was the first thing that came to mind for me too. Whether they will go there I don’t know, but it could be fun.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post

The Jane as Thor storyline in and of itself was some of the best comics in the last few years. Between the art and the Jane's depiction and struggles, it could easily qualify as a modern day classic.

What was contentious was how Thor and the background mythology was handled. That's the stuff that myself (and a good number of people) take issue with but all in all, most of the Jane stuff was pretty good.

Rumors are Enchantress and Gorr are gonna be the villians. I'm fine with the love angle they are going with but dont force Gorr into that. Save him for another movie. Enchantress makes perfect sense though