Question Mouse Guard or Mice Templar? Or is there a third option?

Haven't read either, both look cool/fun, just wondering if anyone has read them both and what do they think? Other then the art/format, how different are they from each other?

Mouse Guard looks great, but the font in the word balloons bother me and I don't know if I can get past that and Mice Templar looks cool too, but they start doing volumes 2.3, 4.2, and split it up so much it seems impossible to catch up.

Are there other rodent fantasy comic books I'm forgetting? Secret of Nimh isn't a comic, I don't think.

Astonishing Member

The art on Mouse Guard is amazing. I would recommend it, since each collected volume is enough of a stand-alone story that you can read it without knowing the whole history of the mouse "universe". If you do want to follow the chronology, though, note that the volume titles tell you the season and the year when they take place. Also, there is a character called Black Axe who has his own set of tales that are a prequel to the main story (probably better read after you've read the main volumes), and there is a 3-volume series Legends of the Guard consisting of anthologies of stand-alone stories that the mice tell one another annually in a story-telling contest. The stories in these volumes are by different creators. A good idea might be to follow the reading article in the Wikipedia article on Mouse Guard.

Cool. Thanks for sharing. Here's the Wikipedia in case anyone else is interested:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mouse_Guard

It looks like the legends of the mouse guard don't use that weird lettering, so I'll check that out first.

Thanks!

I discovered Mice Templar first, being a fan of Mike Oeming's stuff, and I read the first few issues when it came out and quite liked it, but budgets were thin and I decided to trade wait the rest of the series and didn't get around to it for some time. I discovered Mouse Guard much later, via one of the FCBD hardcovers I picked up on a sunny day in May, and was blown away. I tracked down the first three volumes and loved them all. I've gone back and gotten much, but not all of the Mice Templar stuff now, but I still think overall, Mouse Guard is my favorite of the two. It's up there with Bone for me, as a series I can revisit time and time again, and each reading is as wonderful an experience as the first.

As for the lettering on Mouse Guard, it never stood out to me as being out of the ordinary or difficult to interact with, I guess I was just so sucked in and invested n the story I didn't even notice. I mean it is stylized, but wasn't off-putting to me in any way.

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato