Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    Absolutely, this is and old fashioned book. There is nothing wrong with that. It's just not my thing. The reason I am a fan of the Jane Foster Thor was not because it was old fashioned, but because it harked back to the feeling of the old books. Not quite the same thing.

This book may appeal to a less comic book invested audience. Which is definitely an area Marvel should and do focus many books towards. Jane seems like a good fit for that potential audience, but obviously the real test of any book is whether it does find its audience. I hope it does. I am not part of that audience.
    I agree with you on the difference between the Jane Foster Thor not being an old fashioned comic, but having some feeling from some older comics. Hope that statement makes sense.

I don't mind reading an old school comic if it is written well, like certain Spider-Man comics. I can get an old school fix there. But I did prefer Jane's less Silver Age approach. Actually, I prefer more modern comics in general. I'll still stick with this comic though, because I do find it to be pretty good throwback comic. Well most of it at least.

As for whether Valkyrie will find it's audience or not, I'm not sure. This comic should appeal to fans of Silver Age comics, and fans of older school Thor comics, but it seemed to me that a lot of the readers who might like a more Silver Age approach to Thor didn't like Jane. At least not on this forum.
    I'm not trying to typecast all Thor readers as being against more modern stories, and I mean no offense to anyone. We all like different stories, and that's fine

I also prefer more modern comics, and so the style of this isn't quite to my tastes, I find the narration boxes to be a bit heavy handed, in particular. But I can still appreciate an old school take if done well, and the plot seems interesting, so will see where it goes. What is a bit strange though is that the plot had anti-nostalgia elements, like destroying Dragonfang rather than assigning reverential value to it because of what it represented of her predecessor could be read as saying to look forward rather than backwards, and as mentioned Jane herself would appeal more to newer fans, yet the style of the writing would appeal to old school fans.

I cant say that I was completely surprised that Dragon fang was destroyed. That was the previous Valkyrie's weapon. A lot of times when characters gain new weapons the old one is destroyed or lost. Especially if that new weapon is held by a legacy character. But yeah, Dragonfang being destroyed was clearly meant to be forward looking. It's pretty much spelled out that Jane has to let go of the past.

I thought that the story did give Dragonfang reverential treatment. Jane destroyed it to prevent others from desecrating it.
    Still, I think it would have been more interesting to see Jane have a main antagonist who has Dragonfang.

I'm not sure if this has been commented on yet, but does anyone else think that Undrjarn looks like underarm

Mighty Member

I'm glad this thread exists. I'm more a fan of Jane Foster the Thor love interest than Jane Thor but I'm excited about the prospective of these two becoming a couple in the near future (a fan can always hope). Also a big fan of Natalie Portman and Chris Hemsworth so hoping for that as well in the movies. In the meantime I was captivated by the Incoming cover that shows Thor and Jane prominently in it.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Do y'all think that Aaron will stay on Valkyrie after his King Thor run?

I find it odd that he is co-writing it, I wonder if his name is attached because of his notoriety

Hard to say if Aaron will stay on after King Thor. I guess that it depends on if he is tired of writing about Jane and wants to move on.

I kind of doubt that Aaron's name is attached just because of his notoriety. I think that he would be able to say no thanks to the comic if he didn't want to write it. And, I don't think that Jane Valkyrie would need Aaron's name just to make it sell, seeing as the comic has Ewing as the co-writer. Ewing seems to make comics sell on their own given the good sales figures and fan response for Immortal Hulk.
    But, what do I know about Marvel's internal workings. I could be way off.

Going back to an earlier topic on this thread, it appears that Jane's comic is selling well so far. So it may be finding it's target audience.
    The comic may be finding the right balance between having some old school feel to it, while still moving forward and rejecting some nostalgia elements.

As for issue #3, I liked it well enough. It was nice to see the Angels of Heven. And Grimm Reaper could make an interesting foe for Valkyrie.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Thievery View Post
    Hard to say if Aaron will stay on after King Thor. I guess that it depends on if he is tired of writing about Jane and wants to move on.

I kind of doubt that Aaron's name is attached just because of his notoriety. I think that he would be able to say no thanks to the comic if he didn't want to write it. And, I don't think that Jane Valkyrie would need Aaron's name just to make it sell, seeing as the comic has Ewing as the co-writer. Ewing seems to make comics sell on their own given the good sales figures and fan response for Immortal Hulk.
    But, what do I know about Marvel's internal workings. I could be way off.

Going back to an earlier topic on this thread, it appears that Jane's comic is selling well so far. So it may be finding it's target audience.
    The comic may be finding the right balance between having some old school feel to it, while still moving forward and rejecting some nostalgia elements.

As for issue #3, I liked it well enough. It was nice to see the Angels of Heven. And Grimm Reaper could make an interesting foe for Valkyrie.

Eh, not technically. While Immortal Hulk has been a good success, Ewing was constantly known as a good writer that sold poorly before that. His Mighty Avengers book was a perfect example of that. So I can see why they wanted Aaron's name on the book just in case they thought Ewing's current success run was a fluke.

A true test for ewing's success would be to place him back on a Mighty Avengers book, as Jane also had a high degree of success in ANAD so it's hard to determine how much of Jane's success is due to Ewing currently.

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

So, how do you all feel about Jane not being the main character of Thor: Love And Thunder? I have to say I'm pretty disappointed, because it was said that it would be inspired by Aaron's Jane!Thor run, so it feels unfair to adapt what is essentially Jane's story and have someone else be the main character. I guess I shouldn't be surprised, though, considering Taika's work on Thor: Ragnarok and how little it felt inspired by the actual Ragnarok arc from the comics. What I'm hoping for right now is that this is actually not that inspired by Aaron's run, and it's mostly a prequel, giving a nice send-off to Chris Hemsworth and setting up Natalie Portman to be a leading lady in future movies that will actually adapt Jane's story from the comics. I would be ok with that.

Quote Originally Posted by leo619 View Post
    Eh, not technically. While Immortal Hulk has been a good success, Ewing was constantly known as a good writer that sold poorly before that. His Mighty Avengers book was a perfect example of that. So I can see why they wanted Aaron's name on the book just in case they thought Ewing's current success run was a fluke.

A true test for ewing's success would be to place him back on a Mighty Avengers book, as Jane also had a high degree of success in ANAD so it's hard to determine how much of Jane's success is due to Ewing currently.
    This is what my thinking is. I mean the Ultimates was amazing! But, alas it was cancelled; I don't want it to end early but if Kibblesmith's Loki is anything to go by it may only last 6-10 issues because to me Loki is so much more popular than Jane, yet his titles get cancelled all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Drops Of Venus View Post
    So, how do you all feel about Jane not being the main character of Thor: Love And Thunder? I have to say I'm pretty disappointed, because it was said that it would be inspired by Aaron's Jane!Thor run, so it feels unfair to adapt what is essentially Jane's story and have someone else be the main character. I guess I shouldn't be surprised, though, considering Taika's work on Thor: Ragnarok and how little it felt inspired by the actual Ragnarok arc from the comics. What I'm hoping for right now is that this is actually not that inspired by Aaron's run, and it's mostly a prequel, giving a nice send-off to Chris Hemsworth and setting up Natalie Portman to be a leading lady in future movies that will actually adapt Jane's story from the comics. I would be ok with that.
    I imagine it being similar to Ragnarok where it was a super loose adaptation of Planet Hulk.

I think Jane will play a big role similar to Hulk but be a co-star like him too; but who knows, we're in uncharted waters now, the Infinity Saga is over so who knows what the edict is for the MCU.

Quote Originally Posted by leo619 View Post

I cant claim to have read a lot of Ewing's comics.I know that Ewing has written some comics that were well liked by readers and then canceled because of poor sells. But, there are other examples of writers being able to raise their ability to sell comics after starting out poorly. Slott wrote GLX, She-Hulk, and Squirrel Girl. I don't believe that those were high selling comics. And, I think that Claremont started out writing Iron Fist and Miss Marvel, again comics that weren't great sales wise. I've even heard that All New X-Men didn't even take off sells wise write away. It wasn't until the Dark Phoenix Saga that his X-Men took off, if I remember the story correctly Maybe Immortal Hulk and Valkyrie can do the same for Ewing.

Having said that, I don't know if Ewing was planned to cowrite Valkyrie before or after Immortal Hulk took off.
    Last edited by Thievery; 09-27-2019 at 07:29 AM.

Al Ewing is off the book. His replacement is a Norwegian woman called Torunn Grønbekk.
    https://www.newsarama.com/47948-valk...-february.html

Valkyrie's artist CAFU has signed a Marvel exclusivity deal.
    https://www.newsarama.com/47949-marv...ator-cafu.html
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Al Ewing is off the book. His replacement is a Norwegian woman called Torunn Grønbekk.

I would’ve thought Aaron would leave before Ewing.

That’s cool that there’s a woman co-writer maybe eventually she’ll take over.

This announcement and the new trailer for Thor a lot of changes on the Asgardian side of Marvel.

intriguing. Well, I hope the series lasts several years. Probably won't, unfortunately, unless they're a "topline legacy" brand these days, but one can still hope.

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

I wonder what is up with Aaron having a co-writer on this book. Is he specifically requesting this? Is Marvel pushing it for some reason? Maybe he's been busy and needs a little help? Not that it's a bad thing, I'm just wondering, considering he wrote the entirety of Jane's Thor run without anyone and now has had two co-writers for Jane's Valkyrie. Anyway, it's pretty cool that they hired an actual norse person to pen the book.

And good for CAFU. His work is really good.